Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Roland's facebook teased something new was coming on 808 day, and latest rumours suggest it's going to be the JX-3P (also working on the System 8 as a plugout).

(They also say it could be the JX8P/10, but the video doesn't sound like those to me, so I think the JX3P is more likely...)

They released a JX-3P plugout! It seems it's just for the System-8 at the moment, no sign of it on Roland Cloud.

I think its free too for System-8 owners, with the firmware update.

https://aira.roland.com/newsandtopics/j ... available/
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

acid alex wrote:They released a JX-3P plugout! It seems it's just for the System-8 at the moment, no sign of it on Roland Cloud.

Woohoo! I thought Roland had abandoned the System-8 up until 1.2 dropped, and now hot on the heels of that, they add another free plug-out. Nice!

acid alex wrote:They released a JX-3P plugout! It seems it's just for the System-8 at the moment, no sign of it on Roland Cloud.

If it was released for the System-8, it will be just a matter of time (one month) before it comes to Roland Cloud. What I expect is that, although it looks like a JX-3P, it has all the extras included in the JX-8P and the JX-10, like they did with JV-1080. Either that, or they will have a JX-8P following, one or two months after.

After all, those were, more or less, the same thing.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:What I expect is that, although it looks like a JX-3P, it has all the extras included in the JX-8P and the JX-10, like they did with JV-1080.
That doesn't make sense to me. The JX3P code is done, for both the Boutiques and the System 8, so I'd expect the plugin to be a JX3P, just like the Juno 106 is a 106.
fmr wrote:Either that, or they will have a JX-8P following, one or two months after
I think a JX8P plugin is likely to come (preferably, the JX10), at some point, yep.
fmr wrote:After all, those were, more or less, the same thing.
They have similarities, but they have some different features and sound character. But not enough to bung them into one "JX3P/8P" plugin I'm pretty sure. After all, the 1080, SRX and Keyboards are effectively the same instrument, but split out into individual plugins - why would they merge the 3P and 8P into one homogenous plugin, when they could get two, or three, out of it...?

The JX3P will be the JX3P only (both sound and GUI), and pretty accurate, I'm fairly sure...

(It wasn't really a synth I ever had that much affection for though, personally...)

beely wrote: They have similarities, but they have some different features and sound character. But not enough to bung them into one "JX3P/8P" plugin I'm pretty sure. After all, the 1080, SRX and Keyboards are effectively the same instrument, but split out into individual plugins - why would they merge the 3P and 8P into one homogenous plugin, when they could get two, or three, out of it...?
I was talking about the JV-1080, JV-2080, XV-3080 and XV-5080. Anyway, I would be good with a JX-3P and a JX-8P/JX-10 as separate instruments. :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:I was talking about the JV-1080, JV-2080, XV-3080 and XV-5080.
I know, but I don't think that thinking applies in the JX3P / JX-8P thing - they are iconic, vintage synthesisers with their own sound, features and look, whereas the JV/XV thing were all variations on the same thing, with just improvements in the code and waveforms as you go upwards.
fmr wrote:Anyway, I would be good with a JX-3P and a JX-8P/JX-10 as separate instruments. :)
:tu:

Ehhhh, while I won't complain to see a JX-8P plugin, we already have the Juno and the Jupiter. I want my JD990 :'D.

While doing a few new patches with Roland Cloud Jupiter-8 i just noticed something about the filter slope switch that i missed so far. Opposing to the real thing and other plugins like Diva and Arturia Jup-8 V3 (which i both own too) where you could only switch between 12dB and 24dB in the Roland Cloud plugin you could also set the switch to the center position which results in a 18dB/oct slope.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Shiek927 wrote:Ehhhh, while I won't complain to see a JX-8P plugin, we already have the Juno and the Jupiter. I want my JD990 :'D.

There already is a very good free emulation, I doubt the Roland one would sound better, it would only use 3x as much CPU.

But there is no JX-3P emulation so far, I almost got that synth decades ago, but only got the 8P instead because it was used and cheaper :?

What's that free emulation? I doubt it sounds exactly like JD-990 (especially because it legally cannot have the same ROM as JD-990, let alone have any knowledge on the DSP happening in the JD-990) :) Roland would make it sound exactly like the hardware - just like they managed to do so far with their other plugins.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I meant the JX-8P, i.e. the free PG8X.

Why didn't they give their System 8 a 61-key keyboard?!

Ah, well that's a different thing entirely.

PG8X is cool but its filter doesn't sound quite the same to my MKS-70 which is the same thing as JX-8P except two of them in one box.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Why didn't they give their System 8 a 61-key keyboard?!
Ask them? :D

EvilDragon wrote:Ah, well that's a different thing entirely.

PG8X is cool but its filter doesn't sound quite the same to my MKS-70 which is the same thing as JX-8P except two of them in one box.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Why didn't they give their System 8 a 61-key keyboard?!
Ask them? :D
I read that the MKS-70 sounded better than the JX-8P, not as noisy. Maybe that's why you notice the difference.

I'm not talking about the noise (MKS-70 has the same noisy chorus as JX), I'm talking about filter characteristics. PG8X doesn't sound or behave quite the same as the hardware - it does have a Roland character about it, but it's not 100% there (might not be ZDF by design but just oversampled, which WILL make things sound a bit different from the original hardware). It's still a very good free plugin, by all means, though. The multiple instances benefit is quite obvious :)

If you had the hardware side by side you'd notice the same thing for sure.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”