Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12044 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 am

Maybe :-) I hardly remember the hardware, it was like 30+ years ago, to me the PG8X sounds better than any memory I have of the hardware :wink:

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16926 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Roland Cloud

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 am

Auditive memory is an extremely fickle thing that you cannot rely upon. Especially in light of something that is completely free, the bias meter is off the charts! ;)

fmr
KVRAF
7623 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 am

EvilDragon wrote:Auditive memory is an extremely fickle thing that you cannot rely upon. Especially in light of something that is completely free, the bias meter is off the charts! ;)
To something that's free, the PG8X is superb. I've been using it to replace my MKS-30 (because I can pretty much replicate the sounds of one in the other).

Of course, being able to have something from Roland that sounds "closer" would be wonderful. But I will not trash the PG8X, since it will still be probably much lighter.
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16926 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 am

I'm not trashing PG8X - I did say it's cool :)

fmr
KVRAF
7623 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 am

EvilDragon wrote:I'm not trashing PG8X - I did say it's cool :)
I know :)
Fernando (FMR)

EnochLight
KVRian
977 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Detroit, MI

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

I've had a free Roland Cloud account for almost a year now (won it in one of their Facebook contests)... and I've barely even used anything in its entire inventory. :(
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5.x | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

surreal
KVRian
963 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 am

EnochLight wrote:I've had a free Roland Cloud account for almost a year now (won it in one of their Facebook contests)... and I've barely even used anything in its entire inventory. :(
I could use a lot!! :hihi:

Can I help you use something!! :help: :pray:

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 am

Why not?

EnochLight
KVRian
977 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Detroit, MI

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:03 pm

surreal wrote:I could use a lot!! :hihi:

Can I help you use something!! :help: :pray:
Heheh!
fluffy_little_something wrote:Why not?
Honestly, I don't know. I only ever really wanted the Juno 106 and Jupiter 8, and while some of the other content is kind of cool, I just don't ever find myself reaching for it outside of my myriad of other plugins.

I had the paid subscription for 5-6 months before I won the contest, so I might sign back up once my subscription stops being free just so I can score at least one of them as permanent plugins. The subscription model does irritate me, truthfully.
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5.x | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Yes, a lot of people don't seem to like subscription models.

Shiek927
KVRist
429 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 pm

The only problem I have with the PG8X is that, after awhile, vintage analog starts to all sound the same. Even though the character of each synth is different, it all starts to sound same-ish after awhile. For me personally, u-he Diva covers everything I could ask for when it comes to old-school analog synths.

It's really the JD990, 'vintage digital' and really the other stuff besides Junos and Jupiter's that I'm interested. Beyond my own tastes, it's that sort of stuff that you very rarely ever see other than sample packs of varying quality. Junos, Jupiters, Minomoogs, etc on the other hand seem to have a new soft-synth every week haha.

ChamomileShark
KVRian
1239 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:54 am

I was thinking of this but then looked at the UK prices - it seems for the subscription amount for a year I could buy both the SH2 and 100, rather than just get one for "free". I think the only thing that isn't available to buy that I'm interested in is the Jupiter 8.

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1146 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 am

SOmething strange I noticed on the jupiter 8 plugout .
When set into 'optimize for lower cpu mode ' , the resonance seems to be more pronounced .

On the other plugins , system 8 , juno .. the lower cpu setting only affects the filter when set into self oscillation ( you get a bit of aliasing
in low mode ) , but the resoance peak stays the same regardless cpu mode .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

beely
KVRAF
1575 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:30 am

ChamomileShark wrote:I was thinking of this but then looked at the UK prices - it seems for the subscription amount for a year I could buy both the SH2 and 100, rather than just get one for "free".
Yes, but they are old versions that are no longer updated, and don't have the gui updates of the newer versions on the Cloud.

chk071
KVRAF
17037 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, a lot of people don't seem to like subscription models.
Considering how much stuff Roland adds to the Roland Cloud, a lot more seem to be actually fine with the subscription model.

Return to “Instruments”