Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

I'm putting the oscillator outputs into the lag generators, then into the modulators along with all of the envelopes and am wondering how in the world Urs and Co. ever got this thing working. A totally bonkers project and a miracle it even works.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:I'm putting the oscillator outputs into the lag generators, then into the modulators along with all of the envelopes and am wondering how in the world Urs and Co. ever got this thing working. A totally bonkers project and a miracle it even works.

The whole thing is a constant circuit that continuously runs. When you start a note on it runs through all modules, whether they are being used or not. That is my understanding from an interview I read or saw somewhere.

oh yeah, and I heard him say it does it at 2* oversampling in some thread so it does it twice.

There must be a lot of limiting of parameters going on. I would like to hear what Bazille sounds like with all that Urs has learnt from Repro-1. Just doing that would be a massive project I think and maybe not worthwhile. I am sure there would be something to be gained just by increasing the internal clock rate. I wonder what it is compared to Repro-1.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

andrew71 wrote:After getting ACE recently I've been demo'ing Bazille and loving it. Now I'm trying to decide whether to buy it from JRR or wait for a really good deal in the marketplace forum...
U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP

Terrafractyl wrote:Lag gen is usually called a Slew limiter, just to confuse things ever more.
A slew rate limiter has a subtle difference to a lag generator.

A slew rate limiter defines a maximum slope that can not be exceeded no matter how reference voltage and output voltage differ, as output voltage fades towards reference voltage. On a high difference, the fade is a linear ramp.

A lag generator is essentially a lowpass filter. The slope is defined by the difference of reference and output voltage and a factor (corresponds to cutoff frequency). As the difference in voltage closes over time, the slope becomes flatter. The fade looks like an exponential ramp. To describe a lag generator in aterm corresponding to slew, I'd call it a "slew damper" rather than limiter, because there is no maximum steepnes for the slew rate.

Now, there's a reason we called it "lag" instead of "filter". That is, we added Attack and Release parameters. Hence, there's a different cutoff frequency going on for slopes that change towards zero and slopes pointing away from it. This is essentially the same functionality that an envelope follower provides for, but traditionally envelope followers convert audio signals to modulation purpose (compressors...) whereas lag generators (like slew rate limiters) are traditionally used to smooth out modulation signals.

Nothing stops anyone from using the Lag Generators in Bazille as envelope followers (or filters even), it's the same thing, really, but we had to come up with a single name and we chose former because we expected this to be the more typical use case within Bazille.

Never mind, was reading a different page, seems things are normal now.

incubus wrote:Never mind, was reading a different page, seems things are normal now.
No need to apologize. This is a great synth and we've had some great discussion on it.

Urs wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Lag gen is usually called a Slew limiter, just to confuse things ever more.
A slew rate limiter has a subtle difference to a lag generator.

A slew rate limiter defines a maximum slope that can not be exceeded no matter how reference voltage and output voltage differ, as output voltage fades towards reference voltage. On a high difference, the fade is a linear ramp.

A lag generator is essentially a lowpass filter. The slope is defined by the difference of reference and output voltage and a factor (corresponds to cutoff frequency). As the difference in voltage closes over time, the slope becomes flatter. The fade looks like an exponential ramp. To describe a lag generator in aterm corresponding to slew, I'd call it a "slew damper" rather than limiter, because there is no maximum steepnes for the slew rate.

Now, there's a reason we called it "lag" instead of "filter". That is, we added Attack and Release parameters. Hence, there's a different cutoff frequency going on for slopes that change towards zero and slopes pointing away from it. This is essentially the same functionality that an envelope follower provides for, but traditionally envelope followers convert audio signals to modulation purpose (compressors...) whereas lag generators (like slew rate limiters) are traditionally used to smooth out modulation signals.

Nothing stops anyone from using the Lag Generators in Bazille as envelope followers (or filters even), it's the same thing, really, but we had to come up with a single name and we chose former because we expected this to be the more typical use case within Bazille.

See? Common sense.

ftech wrote:U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
Thanks. I'm wondering if these vouchers can be used on everyplugin.com.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

I would assume it's the same as the vouchers they gave away last year, and only for their online shop. Might be worth checking with them though.

Mathematics wrote:
ftech wrote:U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
That's the dream

Mathematics wrote:

No. The coupons can only be used on u-he.com for software purchases (merchandise, soundsets and transfer tokens excluded).

- Michael
(u-he team)

Not that it matters, but i'm just curious since you being technical...

If you double the modules does it double the curve?

Dasheesh wrote:Not that it matters, but i'm just curious since you being technical...

If you double the modules does it double the curve?
I would have to think about that. It probably does.

Return to “Instruments”