is Chromaphone 2 one of its kind? best for bells and other creative plucks?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Chromaphone Chromaphone 1

i always read Chrompahone 2 and it's on sale now, GAS! i guess, i like the stuff i hear so far, not the newest sound engine i guess but creating bells and weird bells and combining with other cymballike sounds i guess you can make some awesome drones out of it too fueling it into Adaptiverb? :P etc.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I had it for a short while and ultimately sold it on because I didn't find a use for it (I'm a monkey-level hobbyist who doesn't finish tracks) but what I will say is this - in terms of emulating physical instruments like drums, bells and almost anything else I've never seen or heard anything that can remotely touch it.

The other thing is this - from a sound design perspective it's also amazingly powerful. Just listen to some of the demos of the pads, atmospheres and otherworldly sounds that come with the factory presets and some of the expansions. If you're prepared to put the work in then it's capable of sounds that you just won't get from other plugins.

To be honest, even though I sold it, I'm tempted to buy some of the expansion packs to use with the free "player" version because it just sounds so lovely and unusual.

Try the demo! Is it one of a kind - absolutely.

Chromaphone can do soundscapes also. It is worth every cent

Just follow the link below and try the soundbanks playlist.

You also have a nice set of tutorials there also.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AASphysica ... /playlists
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

The other thing that can do what it does, obviously, is Tassman, which is modular, but that'll require building your own instruments.

Ogun is the only other synth I can think of in the 'metallic percussion modelling' arena.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thanks for your replies! i only could play with it in the demo mode about 20 mins or so, i really like it but it seems it is kinda limited?
no waveforms like sine, saw etc.? so you could make different bell sounds combined with their (what are these harps etc?) samples?

if so i might skip it after my hype first, cause then i could have more possibilities with a wavetable synth.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

It can make a much wider variety of sounds than just bells and percussion, I actually prefer it for string and plucked sounds to String Studio, the strings I have got from it are much denser, more well defined and more realistic sounding.

Caine123 wrote:... it seems it is kinda limited?
no waveforms like sine, saw etc.?
lol, what?! i think you're missing the point. completely.

yowza. :o

There's also Modelonia, but for me that tends more toward somewhat weird squonks and really isn't as strong on mallet/percussion sounds.

And there's Kaivo, but I never could wrap my head around it.

In Eurorack, I believe Elements and Rings far surpass Chromaphone for strings and mallets, and even more so for feeding weird stuff to the resonators, including feedback. Chromaphone does have some different models (membrane etc.) that those don't quite model. But Eurorack is definitely a whole different ball of wax. (There's also the upcoming Intellijel Plonk, which was developed along with AAS and is based on Chromaphone code... but for some reason they chose not to have an exciter-only output or a resonator input, which reduces much of the potential advantage of putting Chromaphone in a module in the first place.)

Chromaphone is superb and one of a kind. Even Tassman can not replicate some of the sounds that Chromaphone can do. For example, the membrane module sounds extremely authentic in Chromaphone. It can make very believable 'skin' type percussion sounds, whereas in Tassman it always sounds as if the membrane is too 'woody', like a log.

If you want similar percussive sounds (and not just bells) Xoxos' Bong is another brilliant option (PC only).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Caine123 wrote:thanks for your replies! i only could play with it in the demo mode about 20 mins or so, i really like it but it seems it is kinda limited?
no waveforms like sine, saw etc.? so you could make different bell sounds combined with their (what are these harps etc?) samples?
It's neither a subtractive synth or sample based - it's based on physical modelling.

Chromaphone sounds great in demo vids.

The patches is ships with are great, and many expanions are available.

But I think those who gets the most out of it is those that has skills and patience to tweak it further than just using it as a patch player.

jbuonacc wrote:
Caine123 wrote:... it seems it is kinda limited?
no waveforms like sine, saw etc.?
lol, what?! i think you're missing the point. completely.
+1 if needing a more conventional VA synth, look to VA-2 instead

i dont understand the ADSHR control, i set it WAY up in Attack and it still hits like it's set to 0,01.... but i set it to 10s, what am i overseeing?

Caine123 wrote:i dont understand the ADSHR control, i set it WAY up in Attack and it still hits like it's set to 0,01.... but i set it to 10s, what am i overseeing?
There is a green light at LFO, Mallet, Resonator A and B

Could that mean that they are turned on, and not off ?

Caine123 wrote:i dont understand the ADSHR control, i set it WAY up in Attack and it still hits like it's set to 0,01.... but i set it to 10s, what am i overseeing?

ADSR only effects the noise generator via the ENV modulator, it's made for creating sustained sounds which excite the resonators in addition to the short noise burst (Mallet) that is used by default. So you are mixing the short noise burst with the ADSR controlled envelope (if you have the sustained noise switched on), that's why you hear a percussive sound even when increasing the attack time. Please do read the manual.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... omaphone-2

Return to “Instruments”