Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Having a reset to blank preset button is high on the feature list (many have requested it) but as yet does not exist. However if you hit Browser and select "0 Blank Program" it does the exact same thing.

For the DDL and other effects I do plan on make a VST effect throughput version of Fathom, which would make all the Fathom effects available as stand alone effects for any DAW track.

If possible I want to incorporate this into the synth version so you can add an input audio unit which routes track audio through Fathom, but unfortunately I don't think this is possible with the VST protocol, it has to be either a generator or effect, not both, in which case there will be a Fathom.dll and FathomEffect.dll.

Yes, Fathom really needs a professional quality preset sound bank. Ideally this would be timed with the MAC release for December.

FathomSynth wrote:Having a reset to blank preset button is high on the feature list (many have requested it) but as yet does not exist. However if you hit Browser and select "0 Blank Program" it does the exact same thing.

For the DDL and other effects I do plan on make a VST effect throughput version of Fathom, which would make all the Fathom effects available as stand alone effects for any DAW track.

If possible I want to incorporate this into the synth version so you can add an input audio unit which routes track audio through Fathom, but unfortunately I don't think this is possible with the VST protocol, it has to be either a generator or effect, not both, in which case there will be a Fathom.dll and FathomEffect.dll.

Yes, Fathom really needs a professional quality preset sound bank. Ideally this would be timed with the MAC release for December.
As I'm working on 3 sets right now (yes, I know I'm crazy) I'm not sure I could have something for you in time for December but I'll see what I can put together.

Wow, you are in high demand. It would not have to be a full factory bank of 100 presets. That would be more appropriate for sometime in 2018.

In the near future it could just be as little as 10 really good presets. I would come up with preset names starting with "A" so they appear at the top of the list, or add a secret preset parameter in the xml files to force it.

The idea being of course, that many people, when they download a free mono synth, if they are not blown away by the first few presets, often they will not buy the full version. If your presets were at the top, it might lure more users into the coven.

FathomSynth wrote:Wow, you are in high demand. It would not have to be a full factory bank of 100 presets. That would be more appropriate for sometime in 2018.

In the near future it could just be as little as 10 really good presets. I would come up with preset names starting with "A" so they appear at the top of the list, or add a secret preset parameter in the xml files to force it.

The idea being of course, that many people, when they download a free mono synth, if they are not blown away by the first few presets, often they will not buy the full version. If your presets were at the top, it might lure more users into the coven.
Understood. I'll see what I can come up with and PM you with a private link. Naturally, you would have to approve them. My modular synth banks tend to do well because the people who usually get them aren't the same crowd into EDM, which I really try to shy away from because it's not my strong suit. That's why a lot of people here rip my libraries to shreds because they don't go wub wub, supersaw weeeeee or whatever. I let the guys who are better at that kind of stuff do that kind of stuff and I stick to what I do well, which doesn't interest the crowd here AT ALL.

So if you're looking for EDM patches, let me know now so we can both save ourselves a lot of time and trouble. lol.

I agree, a synth can be used for such different styles each sound designer will have their strong and weak genres.

I'm sure anything you did would probably be better than my presets. I got lucky on a few of them, but I think generally the quality of my factory presets do not do justice to the sound quality of the synth.

RPH sent me some killer presets, but I had not yet made time to put them in the factory bank, I will probably do that this next release. I have also been in touch with some sound designers from the Netherlands who have also done some pro work, but I still need to get some critical features in before they can do the full banks.

Earlier this year I initially marketed Fathom as an "EDM" synth, but obviously it has gone way beyond that by this point. My ultimate hope is that Fathom becomes the "goto" synth for Film and TV scoring (an application where sound quality vastly out-weights eye candy or bells and whistles type features).

So what ever your imagination can produce will probably help the factory bank a lot.

Also when the MAC release is done next month, I may ask KVR to use Fathom for the One Synth contest, which is sure to produce some great presets.

Code changes are done for the resizable gui so that should be released early next week after testing.

I also had some time to at bugs and I found and fixed the bug reported by ScrubbingMonkeys in which the note velocity does not work on modulations which modulate the modulation amount (Bug #0034).

So that will also be fixed in the next release 1.0.16.

Sweet!!
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Testing for the re-size-able GUI is done.
So it will be released tomorrow morning!

I am probably the late comer to this revelation, but thought Id post for others who havent picked up on it yet.

All of your modulation creations stay with your preset. Even if not used. Cool!!!!

Lets say you have created a sound where you drew up a complex envelope for the filter cutoff. Now you want to try a different filter. Since you cant "hot swap" audio componets in Fathom you delete your first filter choice...OH NO!!!!!!! your beautiful envelope is gone.....not really, The modulator was deleted with the filter but after you insert your new filter and go to select a modulator, you will notice that your perfect envelope is one of the choices. And always will be with that preset.

Yes, that's correct! 8)

I understand why they cant be "hot swapped". Mainly because not all audio components have the same parameters.

I do have a feature request.....

Is it possible to include bpm in the glide time like some of the other time parameters?

Yes, that can be done (glide bpm units). I put it on the feature list.

OK Version 1.0.16 is now released with the Resizable GUI.

Resizing the GUI works great, after release it snaps to a sharp view. Really nice!

Edit: for some reason I'm not able to modulate the FM amount with e.g. an LFO or sequencer in a preset of mine.
The audiocomponent is the second additive module in the chain.
When I create a new preset and try the same thing, it works just fine.

This is the preset:
FM-Sinebass2.Bass.RPH.New.0.Program.xml.zip
Edit2: same goes for this preset:
FM-Sinebass.Bass.RPH.Oldschool DnB.10.Program.xml.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OK I'll take a look at that.

Thanks.

Add Ratio multiply and ratio divide also to that.

Return to “Instruments”