any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:I like nasty clicks. :ud:
Had to put on my glasses, I thought you said chicks.....
I like both....

mholloway wrote:
chk071 wrote: I think the thing he mentioned rather applies to the group of people notoriously defending Urs and u-he wherever they can, and even speaking for him, wherever they can. You know THOSE kind of sycophant cult members. ;) It's an interesting psychological phenomenom. Obviousy, the more time you spend on forums, allegedly close to your customers, the more people take party for you, defend you, even idolize you. Don't get me wrong, i don't have an issue with Urs doing his thing, but, the result of it can be confusing at times. And confusingly emotional.

Huh. Well, just as interesting a "psychological phenomenom" is the one where certain online individuals perceive the (actually imaginary) existence of unified groups based on mostly arbitrary criteria (e.g. People who support a specific developer) and then proceed to feel threatened by this imagined group, and therefore repeatedly post negative, damning posts calling out the existence and faults of the imaginary group they are feeling so threatened by, for reasons only their shrink could ever really understand.

Meanwhile, world keeps turning, etc.

-M
+1

fluffy_little_something wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Sounds cool, but definitely like a synth. I'm not quite sure why you guys started this diversion. Electric bass doesn't sound like a synth. Sure there's some overlap, but all of the effects pedals in the world aren't going to create the kinds of bass sounds that I'm talking about.
It was all dry, no effects used.
I know there are dedicated guitar and bass guitar effect plugins, but I don't have any of those. But even with my general-purpose TB compressor and eq I can add more "solidity":
https://app.box.com/s/73n8xbhebxxbpmtn3sth4zk2sd4fn96i

The bigger challenge is coming up with a good bass line 8)

Real electric basses don't all sound the same, either, they have all kinds of sounds, from punchy to slick to metallic to wooden to gnarly etc.
I love the way electric basses sounded in late 70s, early 80s R&B, like on George Benson's Midnight Love Affair.
https://youtu.be/-rCJoJeKBzs
I get all of that. I started out my musical life playing guitar in bands. I've bought and sold more guitars than I currently own hardware synths. Hell, I've even owned multiple bass guitars, although presently I only own one and it's not particularly special.

That said, you will NEVER come close to the bass sounds that I'm talking about with any kind of guitar. It just isn't the same thing. This diversion started wen ANX responded to me saying that my preference for a bass synth wasn't Diva and he stated that he uses his bass guitar. Well, I'd use Diva long before I used a bass guitar, that's essentially a non-sequitur in a conversation about synthesizers. I would argue that the overwhelming majority of bass sounds in popular electronic music today cannot be obtained with ANY bass guitar.

I use my bass guitar as well, when I want something to sound like it was played on a bass guitar. Other times I might use a sample library if I want it to sound like a bass guitar but I don't want to or I am unable to play the bass line.

My comment to you regarding sample libraries is that they are going to sound more like a bass guitar than your synth does. There are good reasons for that. It's a non-trivial thing to synthesize all of the subtleties of a vibrating string and some electric pickups.

ghettosynth wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Sounds cool, but definitely like a synth. I'm not quite sure why you guys started this diversion. Electric bass doesn't sound like a synth. Sure there's some overlap, but all of the effects pedals in the world aren't going to create the kinds of bass sounds that I'm talking about.
I know there are dedicated guitar and bass guitar effect plugins, but I don't have any of those. But even with my general-purpose TB compressor and eq I can add more "solidity":

Real electric basses don't all sound the same, either, they have all kinds of sounds, from punchy to slick to metallic to wooden to gnarly etc.
I love the way electric basses sounded in late 70s, early 80s R&B, like on George Benson's Midnight Love Affair.
I get all of that. I started out my musical life playing guitar in bands. I've bought and sold more guitars than I currently own hardware synths. Hell, I've even owned multiple bass guitars, although presently I only own one and it's not particularly special.

That said, you will NEVER come close to the bass sounds that I'm talking about with any kind of guitar. It just isn't the same thing. This diversion started wen ANX responded to me saying that my preference for a bass synth wasn't Diva and he stated that he uses his bass guitar. Well, I'd use Diva long before I used a bass guitar, that's essentially a non-sequitur in a conversation about synthesizers. I would argue that the overwhelming majority of bass sounds in popular electronic music today cannot be obtained with ANY bass guitar.

I use my bass guitar as well, when I want something to sound like it was played on a bass guitar. Other times I might use a sample library if I want it to sound like a bass guitar but I don't want to or I am unable to play the bass line.

My comment to you regarding sample libraries is that they are going to sound more like a bass guitar than your synth does. There are good reasons for that. It's a non-trivial thing to synthesize all of the subtleties of a vibrating string and some electric pickups.
That's why I think MODO Bass is amazing. Probably the best physical modeling product out there and for bass, nothing else even comes close.

ghettosynth wrote:I would argue that the overwhelming majority of bass sounds in popular electronic music today cannot be obtained with ANY bass guitar.
Well, you'll argue about anything. That statement is absolute rubbish.

wagtunes wrote: That's why I think MODO Bass is amazing. Probably the best physical modeling product out there and for bass, nothing else even comes close.
Are there any other choices? It's at least a synth, but still off topic.

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

That's why I think MODO Bass is amazing. Probably the best physical modeling product out there and for bass, nothing else even comes close.
You clearly haven't tried REFX the Beast.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ghettosynth wrote:That said, you will NEVER come close to the bass sounds that I'm talking about with any kind of guitar. It just isn't the same thing. This diversion started wen ANX responded to me saying that my preference for a bass synth wasn't Diva and he stated that he uses his bass guitar. Well, I'd use Diva long before I used a bass guitar, that's essentially a non-sequitur in a conversation about synthesizers. I would argue that the overwhelming majority of bass sounds in popular electronic music today cannot be obtained with ANY bass guitar.

I suppose you meant to say 'synth' there. Else I don't get the conversation because nobody claimed to make synth basses with an electric bass. We were talking about emulating electric bass on synths, i.e. the other way round.

I don't care about popular electronic music, from the little I have had to hear so far it doesn't seem to have pleasant bass sounds.

Sure, I can't nail an electric bass with all its subtleties on a VA synth, but I actually prefer my own VA electric basses to the ones included in Xpand2. Especially the fingered ones tend to be of poor quality on romplers. Little growl. I don't like the way modern electric basses sound (not sure whether it is the way they themselves sound or the way they are recorded these days).
There is a nice slapped bass in Xpand2, but then again, I can use slaps only so much, most of the time I need a steady melodic bass sound.

But most importantly, I like the challenge of making every sound on my synth, it also ensures I have my own sound nobody else has. Nor do I think that listeners analyze the bass sound and wonder if it is an electric bass or a synth. If I try hard to make it sound like an electric bass, they will get the intention and accept it as such without even wondering.

The new Roland stuff is good, if you don't mind dealing with the Cloud (I'm done with it. Nothing says "cancel me" like having to authorize a plug in each time you use it)

All the GForce stuff is just as good as Diva.

Legend

Repro-1 (and I'm sure 5)

Monark/Reaktor

But, I'd say that in 2017, you should just buy an analog synth as well. For $200-500, you'll get the real deal, and it really does make a difference.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:The new Roland stuff is good, if you don't mind dealing with the Cloud (I'm done with it. Nothing says "cancel me" like having to authorize a plug in each time you use it)

All the GForce stuff is just as good as Diva.

Legend

Repro-1 (and I'm sure 5)

Monark/Reaktor

But, I'd say that in 2017, you should just buy an analog synth as well. For $200-500, you'll get the real deal, and it really does make a difference.
Which one would you get for 200-500 for a great pad sound?

ghettosynth wrote:That said, you will NEVER come close to the bass sounds that I'm talking about with any kind of guitar. It just isn't the same thing. This diversion started wen ANX responded to me saying that my preference for a bass synth wasn't Diva and he stated that he uses his bass guitar. Well, I'd use Diva long before I used a bass guitar, that's essentially a non-sequitur in a conversation about synthesizers. I would argue that the overwhelming majority of bass sounds in popular electronic music today cannot be obtained with ANY bass guitar.

I suppose you meant to say 'synth' there. Else I don't get the conversation because nobody claimed to make synth basses with an electric bass. We were talking about emulating electric bass on synths, i.e. the other way round.
You missed it. I was indeed talking about preferring synths other than Diva for bass and Anx stated that he used his Fender Jazz Bass for that. Yes, I thought the comment was weird.

Anx simply said that his electric bass makes better bass sounds than any synth (be it typical synth basses or electric bass emulations, I suppose). And I tend to agree. A quality JB with active pickups like the Marcus Miller bass delivers a bass sound that blows Monark, Diva etc. out of the water. But of course that type of sound is very subjective, I love and prefer it, others might find it boring and old, for instance EDM people.

Probably far off base for most of you, but still worth mentioning, is Retrologue. I did find the character to be different and perhaps even digitally harsh in some patch programming. Ultimately, I stayed with Diva as I feel I get the Retrologue sound covered enough for me in HALion 6. And with Diva, I've found I really don't get the nostalgic GAS of buying old or emulated gear.

The best fat basses i ever heard are from some giant industrial machines :D
Otherwise for me Dagger and P900 beats them all.....but hey, personal preferences again.

ghettosynth wrote:
mholloway wrote:
chk071 wrote: I think the thing he mentioned rather applies to the group of people notoriously defending Urs and u-he wherever they can, and even speaking for him, wherever they can. You know THOSE kind of sycophant cult members. ;) It's an interesting psychological phenomenom. Obviousy, the more time you spend on forums, allegedly close to your customers, the more people take party for you, defend you, even idolize you. Don't get me wrong, i don't have an issue with Urs doing his thing, but, the result of it can be confusing at times. And confusingly emotional.

Huh. Well, just as interesting a "psychological phenomenom" is the one where certain online individuals perceive the (actually imaginary) existence of unified groups based on mostly arbitrary criteria (e.g. People who support a specific developer) and then proceed to feel threatened by this imagined group, and therefore repeatedly post negative, damning posts calling out the existence and faults of the imaginary group they are feeling so threatened by, for reasons only their shrink could ever really understand.

Meanwhile, world keeps turning, etc.

-M
+1
+1 as well... an accurate description by mholloway

Return to “Instruments”