any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote:The best fat basses i ever heard are from some giant industrial machines :D
Otherwise for me Dagger and P900 beats them all.....but hey, personal preferences again.
I live by a train yard and late at night when it is really quiet and the yard engines are moving dozens of train cars around, the bass they make is quite something!

Nothing sycophant about it for some of us. I've been communicating off and on online with Urs for over 14 years. I've watched him grow from More Feedback Machine as donationware to one of the most respected soft synth developers out there. I've spent a few hours in Berlin chatting with him on a bar and he's exactly like he is online, no BS just a decent guy. He also happens to make really good plug ins that have a distinctly unique sound. I'm not at all surprised people are passionate about him or his products.

I think there's this tendency for musicians and creative people in general to get upset by some perceived majority view, you see it with people proclaiming how they don't own or use Kontakt, like that universal sampler is below them somehow.... or people announcing X product that produces bass quite well is not their go to, it's Y that has good bass etc. As if everyone of any taste has similar taste, as if their taste is universal.

Outside of KVR I doubt anyone believes that U-He has a cult like following. :roll:

machinesworking wrote:
I think there's this tendency for musicians and creative people in general to get upset by some perceived majority view, you see it with people proclaiming how they don't own or use Kontakt, like that universal sampler is below them somehow.... or people announcing X product that produces bass quite well is not their go to, it's Y that has good bass etc. As if everyone of any taste has similar taste, as if their taste is universal.

Outside of KVR I doubt anyone believes that U-He has a cult like following. :roll:
My observation over the years is that many people have some fear about losing their 'individuality'... and so have some amount of negative feeling about unreserved expressions of appreciation about anything.

midi_transmission wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:The new Roland stuff is good, if you don't mind dealing with the Cloud (I'm done with it. Nothing says "cancel me" like having to authorize a plug in each time you use it)

All the GForce stuff is just as good as Diva.

Legend

Repro-1 (and I'm sure 5)

Monark/Reaktor

But, I'd say that in 2017, you should just buy an analog synth as well. For $200-500, you'll get the real deal, and it really does make a difference.
Which one would you get for 200-500 for a great pad sound?
Tetra. Great synth. Get one for $500 or so and then add another later and have a Prophet 08 with a sub osc and feedback. (This is how I use mine, though I've also decoupled them to do layers as well)

If you can go a little higher, see if you can get a Deepmind 6.

You could also probably get an Alpha Juno or DW8000 for your budget. The DW8000 isn't fully analog, but it's a great hybrid with a really lush sound.

Some people really like the Minilogue, but personally I never took to it's sound much, as a poly. Nice for unison bass and lead patches.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

machinesworking wrote:Nothing sycophant about it for some of us. I've been communicating off and on online with Urs for over 14 years. I've watched him grow from More Feedback Machine as donationware to one of the most respected soft synth developers out there. I've spent a few hours in Berlin chatting with him on a bar and he's exactly like he is online, no BS just a decent guy. He also happens to make really good plug ins that have a distinctly unique sound. I'm not at all surprised people are passionate about him or his products.

Well, duh. All his cult members hang out here! :lol:

I do notice that the U-He fans are a bit less tolerant of any criticism than pretty much any other developer. Granted, Urs deserves a lot of good will for the generous feature additions that go into his free updates, and the general high quality of all his plugins, but if you do some searching you'll find a thread where I criticized the tame, muted sound of the audio rate filter mod on Diva compared to RePro-1, Monark and Legend, and people came down on my like I was selling their 5 year olds heroin. Even Urs joined in and mocked and belittled me... until later in the thread admitting that he used lower frequency limits in Diva to achieve the polyphony he wanted at a usable CPU level. Totally understandable, but I didn't quite get why when I pointed it out the knee jerk reaction was to chase me out of the village with burning torches. So... yup, I see U-He's following as a little cultish at times.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

machinesworking wrote:Nothing sycophant about it for some of us. I've been communicating off and on online with Urs for over 14 years. I've watched him grow from More Feedback Machine as donationware to one of the most respected soft synth developers out there. I've spent a few hours in Berlin chatting with him on a bar and he's exactly like he is online, no BS just a decent guy. He also happens to make really good plug ins that have a distinctly unique sound. I'm not at all surprised people are passionate about him or his products.

Junkie xl recently in his latest video praised how good uhe plugs are. And not without a reason because they are top notch.

Diva has several oscillators and filters, so in its level of versatility:
- Monophonic : Reaktor blocks (might even exceed Diva)
- Polyphonic: None! (which polyphonic analogue emulation has several oscillators and filters to choose from?!)

deleted
Fernando (FMR)

Is Junkie XL the next Jordan Rudess? :o

BBFG# wrote:Probably far off base for most of you, but still worth mentioning, is Retrologue. I did find the character to be different and perhaps even digitally harsh in some patch programming. Ultimately, I stayed with Diva as I feel I get the Retrologue sound covered enough for me in HALion 6. And with Diva, I've found I really don't get the nostalgic GAS of buying old or emulated gear.

Retrologue has the M12-ish complex filter modes that are great for pads. The second version is definitely better than the first, but I don't use it often. Another synth that does this, other than of course Arturia's M12 is Air's Vacuum Pro. It has adjustable slope which is rather cool for automation of pads. It's a bit fussy though, but I do use it more often than I use Retrologue.

IMO, compared with the later generation of analog modelling synth plugins, i find that Retrologue falls a bit short. Surely not a bad synth by any means, but, there's other stuff, which is simply better IMO. Spire or Sylenth1 for analog pad, or unison sounds, and Monark, or Diva, for analog filters, and, generally, as analog modelled plugins. At least i never really reach for Retrologue for the sound it makes.

wtf anything can do fat when you mix it right... some synths just give you that sound right outta the box I guess? Use what you like. F*ck the haters.

No plugin from 10 plus years ago gives you the filter resonance behavior of the recent ZDF, analog modelled filters (or the complexity of modelled envelopes, or the top end of the more recent soft synths). I don't know why the argument that you just need to mix your stuff right always surfaces. It's just nonsense to believe that you could replace Monark or Diva with something 10 years old, especially if you're into extreme sounds. For a simple 2 oscillators detuned sawtooth sound it might do though, yeah. Although even that kind of sound will sound much more poundy, and thick in Monark. Can't comment on Diva, as i spent too small time with it.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey you gotta have that kinda sound? Gotta make sure its all super accurate and true to source? Yea go for it. Nobody listening is gonna give a f*ck hahaha

Armagibbon wrote:Hey you gotta have that kinda sound? Gotta make sure its all super accurate and true to source? Yea go for it. Nobody listening is gonna give a f*ck hahaha
I highly doubt that. Otherwise artist XYZ wouldn't get the best gear, to get the best sound for his stuff. Just take a look at what the popular artists are using. Not only those, actually, ALL artists really.

Return to “Instruments”