any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1wob2many wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Then by all means, say something intelligent about the subject.
You go first.
As I said, I've talked at length on KVR. Since you laughed, we can only assume that you've read my posts. Therefore, you must feel that you believe that your superior knowledge reflects something false in my approach?

So man up and commit. What exactly do you think is wrong with my statements in this thread. Either you know, or you're just posturing.

It's an interesting subject that is relevant to KVR and if you're knowledgeable about it, and can demonstrate that knowledge, then I will be the first to concede that you are contributing something valuable. So far, you haven't done that. You've just snidely laughed at my perspective without offering anything of substance.

As I said, I think that it's because you're butthurt over past conversations. You don't really want to contribute anything of substance to KVR here, I don't even think that you're genuinely interested in the topic as it pertains to synths and filters, you just are trying to use persuasion in lieu of evidence to convince others to side with you. It worked at least once in this thread. To be clear though, it's no skin off of my nose if people want to believe the world is flat.

Are you afraid of committing here? I can understand that, you might say something that someone with less knowledge than you thinks is wrong and just laughs at you ignorantly. How annoying is that, right?

Don't feed the trolls ... they are just here to start an argument, or to start a fight, rather than to discuss things intelligently or contribute in a meaningful way.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

midi_transmission wrote:Thanks guys.I should be more specific. I'm not looking for a Mini emulation. I'm looking mostly for classic warm deep pads/string/bass sounds (detroit techno stuff/old deep house). I'm really into these Diva presets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ6vzKMaKQ

I think Repro is more a special emulation, right? The demos are more blip blap edgy sounds.
IMO, the examples beginning at about 4:10 in that video really show off the character of the Ubhie filter. Note that the resonance is quite high and that the cutoff is being manipulated in real time. In some of the later examples there is also LFO modulation.

Let's hear similar results with Syntronik that start with the raw waveforms. Be sure to post your video so that we can all be impressed.

I think that for deep house and detroit techno, the modulation is everything. Relying on embedded modulation in samples would not be the way I would want to proceed.

That said, I also think that the "fat focus" is also misplaced. What was popular in early examples of both styles didn't often come from classic analogs. FM synths were widely used as were the classic romplers of the day like the Korg M1.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... echno.html

zzz00m wrote:Don't feed the trolls ... they are just here to start an argument, or to start a fight, rather than to discuss things intelligently or contribute in a meaningful way.
Yeah, you owe me an irony meter there. I see you were quick to agree with his chuckles. In what way is that either intelligent, discussion, or contributing in a meaningful way?

If there's one thing that I've observed over the years is that those without any argument of substance are quick to label others as trolls. It's just another flavor of butthurt.

ghettosynth wrote:IMO, the examples beginning at about 4:10 in that video really show off the character of the Ubhie filter. Note that the resonance is quite high and that the cutoff is being manipulated in real time. In some of the later examples there is also LFO modulation.

Let's hear similar results with Syntronik that start with the raw waveforms. Be sure to post your video so that we can all be impressed.

I think that for deep house and detroit techno, the modulation is everything. Relying on embedded modulation in samples would not be the way I would want to proceed.
You can MIDI-sweep the filter in real time on Syntronik and LFO modulation of the filter and amplitude is available. Sweeps aren't necessarily baked into the core samples. Now, you might not like the actual filters, but they are there.

Extensive modulation (other than a bit of filter sweeping on a sampled chord) isn't something I associate with either deep house or Detroit techno – and this is assuming this is classic Detroit rather than the deep-house-like knockoffs doing the rounds recently. Heavy portamento, yes. Dirty, dubby effects, yes. Lots of synth modulation, not so much.

Not that I would recommend Syntronik for the job - lots of preset surfing to get close to the right sound and the Oberheim pad samples in particular tend to be way too bulky to make sense the the jazz-style chords needed for these styles. Personally, I'd be inclined to use Massive, Spark or Kontour more than Diva for deep-house pads because of the feedback path in those synths. The Akkord instrument in Reaktor also does a real good impersonation of deep-house pad chord sequences out of the box.

Gamma-UT wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:IMO, the examples beginning at about 4:10 in that video really show off the character of the Ubhie filter. Note that the resonance is quite high and that the cutoff is being manipulated in real time. In some of the later examples there is also LFO modulation.

You can MIDI-sweep the filter in real time on Syntronik and LFO modulation of the filter and amplitude is available. Sweeps aren't necessarily baked into the core samples. Now, you might not like the actual filters, but they are there.
Yes, that was my point, I don't like the filters and I think that's an important aspect of the sound. Some of the samples are decent, as you'd expect, but i the modulation doesn't suit you, you're left with trying to modulate the Syntronik filter. If you want Diva, that's not going to cut it IMO.
Extensive modulation (other than a bit of filter sweeping on a sampled chord) isn't something I associate with either deep house or Detroit techno – and this is assuming this is classic Detroit rather than the deep-house-like knockoffs doing the rounds recently. Heavy portamento, yes. Dirty, dubby effects, yes. Lots of synth modulation, not so much.
Well, this is always an issue isn't it? What exactly do we mean with a genre name? Best to have some examples and the OP didn't provide any. To be clear, I am talking about more subtle modulation and someone making sounds today for genres today with perhaps a retro flavor. The OP pointed to that video which has much of that kind of character. I'm not interested in genre trainspotting; suffice to say that I have plenty of records, labeled by the store that I bought them from as such, with the kind of modulation that I'm talking about.
Not that I would recommend Syntronik for the job - lots of preset surfing to get close to the right sound and the Oberheim pad samples in particular tend to be way too bulky to make sense the the jazz-style chords needed for these styles. Personally, I'd be inclined to use Massive, Spark or Kontour more than Diva for deep-house pads because of the feedback path in those synths. The Akkord instrument in Reaktor also does a real good impersonation of deep-house pad chord sequences out of the box.
Which is another way of saying that fat isn't really where it's at for that.

+1 on the recommendations, though none of them are Diva replacements...of course.

ghettosynth wrote:Which is another way of saying that fat isn't really where it's at for that.

Yup. And another thread hits the fat = "sound the OP likes" dialectic.
ghettosynth wrote:+1 on the recommendations, though none of them are Diva replacements...of course.
This is true.

Deleted, moved my comment to the U-he forum...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monark, Reaktor 6 blocks, and Rounds. Or repro. If you're looking for a little less CPU, imposcar 2 and retrologue (or the va engine in Halion) are pretty excellent. These are all of the vintage variety like Diva.

For extreme modern phatness, Harmor is just bonkers. Also not bad on CPU.

Nothing beats AKAI Timbre Wolf when it comes to fat,fat sounds... :hug:

Return to “Instruments”