One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

Taron wrote:I'm not too thrilled about a layered solution, actually. That's not the same challenge! :uhuhuh:
No no no 2 instances I have are not layered. It is more like two pinaos side by side. First is for slower less inntesive melody and second for "crazy bashing" part. It is more like there are 2 piano players, I hate layering in fl studio becuase it does not preview pressed midi notes for layer in piano roll :x .

Daru925 wrote:Is the free xfer dimension expander ok to use?
If found that this is chorus fx. OSC rules says:

Effects - what is NOT allowed:

Chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary, or related modular effects.

Yeah, I agree @TrojakEW that multiple instances can be useful, NOT layered, but either for different styled playing or, in my case, a slightly modified version(s) based on note range and then filter the MIDI notes accordingly. Also find that a slightly different EQ helps those instances behave better.

I see what you mean @Taron about it NOT being the same challenge - depends where you are aiming of course - hehe.

Still have to bash the composition into better shape, and then re-visit (ad nauseum) my presets to get them to fit the mix, and also give the right vibe for the composition (and mix!).

Maybe this challenge will be a shoot out between composers and sound designers???

dB

Hi. I made a tool that can be useful in some way for the 'sound designers' part :) It's a command line utility which allows to convert sound spectra into the .h2p oscillator presets with the 'SpectroBlend' mode. See the attached file.

To use it you need python3 and Wavosaur. Using Wavosaur's spectrum analyser you can obtain .fft files, which store sound spectra. Then you can run the tool (the '-f' parameter specifies the fundamental frequency of the spectrum):

Code: Select all

python3 fft_to_h2p.py -i spectrum.fft -o oscillator_preset.h2p -f 440
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I see, however dimension expanders dont sound like chorus, flangers etc. That's why i asked, im not into tech so much that i know what a chorus does differently than a flanger or whatever. I just know how they sound, they are like delays and that's it^^ Thanks for clarification.

They are "modulated" delays. That's the problem/idea. Any change to pitch of the output signal does alter the character of the sound. Without getting lost in this "general discussion", the idea of EQ, compression, delays and reverbs is that these are mix related (or should be) and not so much sound generation related. A chorus, though I find it quite mix related, leans more toward the generation of sound, just like flanger or phaser.
Naturally there are some gray zones and some of them are very dark gray, if you asked me, such as resonance filters, especially when they're automated. I find that rather wrong, but since EQ is really just that, it's likely too hard to argue there?! In the past some people were pulling of formant like filter sweeps with EQ and filters, which really had nothing to do with the sound source anymore. :shrug: ...but well.

I try to limit myself to: EQ, Reverb, Compression, Limiting, basic delays, tremolo (NOT vibrato!!), a little saturation. If the synth has the "banned" FX items in it's signal chain, then I might use them as this is still spitting out the character of the synth in question.

dB

Yeah, there was a time when I really, really would've loved a phaser and this one has one...but...somehow my track isn't really asking for it now... :shrug: :dog: :ud:

Taron wrote:Yeah, there was a time when I really, really would've loved a phaser and this one has one ...
I know what you mean - especally those long slow sweeps of pads with loads of harmonics! I remember back in the day when we built our own kit (very early 70's), the phaser was built into a lightproof box (that is the cracks were covered with black tape!) because the LFO component drove a lightbulb which was then sensed by a light sensitive resistor to drive the phase part ... the fuzz unit we built was shoehorned into the Far(t)fisa organ - made some nice sounds - band was very much styled like Caravan and the other "Canterbury sound" bands of the time (played support twice to Caravan - gotta name drop that!).

Kids have it easy these days eh? Includes me, coz we all like playing with new toys!

I still like the "shimmer" effect from Valhalla - limited use, but a nice alternative to a straight phaser - and yes, I know you can emulate it with FX combos - but easy in one box, so to speak.

Oh well, might visit the track again tonight. Still 18 days to go ...

dB

doctorbob wrote: I still like the "shimmer" effect from Valhalla - limited use, but a nice alternative to a straight phaser - and yes, I know you can emulate it with FX combos - but easy in one box, so to speak.
Talking about Eno Shimmer: Valhalla Shimmer is a reverb-pitchshift-delay-feedback combo isn't it? From what I remember reading about Enos Shimmer it's rather different to a phaser and listening for instance to brian enos dune theme it's quite not what I'd say is phaser typicall.
but anyhow. just to be on safe side...we are not supposed to use anything using pitch shifting in any place in the signal flow, even if kind of obscured in a reverbish effect unit, right? Just want to have clarity for myself, because I would otherwise try to reproduce shimmer-reverb effect with free plugs (if possible).

Guess you have to simply be careful not to overdo it, but any reverb worth using has some modulation. Since that should be happening to the reverb itself, there's likely no reason to get overly paranoid. These "rules" are there to stay on track with the fundamental challenge, which is to use the given synth to make a song or "something". I'd imagine, if one were to make a track only with modulating reverbs and no dry component, this may also defeat the challenge, yes?!

Anyway, just to stay on the safe side, I'd say do not worry about the internal modulation of a reverb plugin, but don't start to hook up phasers and such to create some wicked custom reverb! :shrug:
(Though, I'm sure it could sound awesome!)

Daru925 wrote:I see, however dimension expanders dont sound like chorus, flangers etc. That's why i asked, im not into tech so much that i know what a chorus does differently than a flanger or whatever. I just know how they sound, they are like delays and that's it^^ Thanks for clarification.
you will get different answers on the forum, but people have used them in the past, i know that, b/c its technically not a chorus. honestly, you be the judge, if it totally wrecks the sound then probably it's outside the spirit of the comp, but if its used a mixing tool, i say go for it.

dimension expender is 4 little delays with some invert phase for mono compatibility, it's not a chorus for me, if use with a little amount.

løkken wrote:Hi. I made a tool that can be useful in some way for the 'sound designers' part :) It's a command line utility which allows to convert sound spectra into the .h2p oscillator presets with the 'SpectroBlend' mode. See the attached file.

To use it you need python3 and Wavosaur. Using Wavosaur's spectrum analyser you can obtain .fft files, which store sound spectra. Then you can run the tool (the '-f' parameter specifies the fundamental frequency of the spectrum):

Code: Select all

python3 fft_to_h2p.py -i spectrum.fft -o oscillator_preset.h2p -f 440
i don't use Wavosaur, but thanks for sharing it.
nice add.

løkken wrote:Hi guys! I've never participated in the OSC and have some questions about what's allowed and what's not. For me, the rules are too obscure in some aspects, so I need some help.
@bjporter gave you his answer so i think you are good. loving the vibes of what you have thus far can't wait to hear the end

bjporter wrote:1. Your delay usage seems fine. The 2nd case is getting close to flanger sound, but i think it's ok. This is an example of major abuse (creating a guitar like sound out of noise):
http://soundcloud.com/bjporter/guitar-delay-ping-pong-3
wow, that's the coolest damn thing, great sound design there, however you did that

Return to “Instruments”