Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

some filters sound really nice in this synth, it can be clean but the good side of clean

Really? I think it's filters are by far its weakest part. They are workmanlike, at best. But Thorn is one of those rare beasts where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts so it doesn't really hold Thorn back. But I'd never think to use it for a squelchy, resonant bassline.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just my thoughts, yeah, I like its filters and they sound nice driven to me compared to some other options that I have. I'm still learning a lot of these tools, though!

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 am Really? I think it's filters are by far its weakest part. They are workmanlike, at best. But Thorn is one of those rare beasts where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts so it doesn't really hold Thorn back. But I'd never think to use it for a squelchy, resonant bassline.
Huh. I like thorn’s filters as well.

I would never think to use a squelchy resonant bassline at all tho

Yeah, but you probably think Moog Ladder filters are useful.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Who would have thought that people have different tastes in sound,eh

Thorn is a cool synth, but I pray that if it gets a V2 update, the GUI doesn't go the same way Tantra did. Same for Diversion, I love the GUI's as they are tbh, probably my favourite GUIs of all plugins.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Since its apple silicon ready, i can go with v1.3 for a long time :)

Yes, the voger GUIs are related nice

Thorn have something in it,some signature sound or temper,whatever u call it,but it's there and it's useful when need it.
Wouldn't become workhorse,but add some vibe definitely.
Cheers :)

Is multi-core cpu support a new feature that comes with 1.3 or was it just made to be disabled by the user?

I like Thorn but Diversion is by far my favorite.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:01 am Thorn is a cool synth, but I pray that if it gets a V2 update, the GUI doesn't go the same way Tantra did. Same for Diversion, I love the GUI's as they are tbh, probably my favourite GUIs of all plugins.
Crap I didn't see this thread was bumped or I wouldn't have started the other one.

From the Voger Design FB page but back in February. (No that's not me making the guess).

Thorn.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Effectsworks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:11 pm I like Thorn but Diversion is by far my favorite.
I love both but would also prefer Diversion if it wasn't so CPU hungry. I choked out an i7 8700K with a single Osc.... :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:17 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:11 pm I like Thorn but Diversion is by far my favorite.
I love both but would also prefer Diversion if it wasn't so CPU hungry. I choked out an i7 8700K with a single Osc.... :o
Yeah... That's it's only flaw, the heavy cpu. :(

DMuzik wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 am I contacted Dimitry about the missing Apple Silicon/ARM binaries through the contact form at his web site and less than an hour later he emailed me a link to download the binaries. Now that's support! :D :tu:
Great to see that Dmitry is on top of things, but what's up with Plugin Alliance? There's still no indication on the site or in the account pages that an Apple Silicon version is available, and if I hadn't read it here, I'd have had no idea. Hopefully PA figures this out before the M1X is out.

Return to “Instruments”