Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Finally picked this up. I agree there's some magic in the filters. A rounded ness to them that makes them sound a bit more alive than comparable types in other synths. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I really like making patches in Thorn. It somehow makes it very hard to not make a great sounding patch.

GaryG wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:03 pm Sure (zipped so I could attach it directly here).

If you disable the MSEG and play around with the filter cutoff around 12- 1 o'clock then that's the kind of sound I get in CM version. With it enabled I get just noise really, like the filter is broken when modulated... I do get similar results with the LFO too.

Probably my lack of understanding but curious if there's really a difference or what really.

Thanks for looking.
i don't get any noise. It kinda works as i expected it to. Which version are you using?

Whatever the PA installer installs... :)

I had another play, can certainly get some quite horrific noise at times but then I checked out presets that modulate cutoff and they're as smooth as butter... Tried changing buffer sizes too but exactly the same.

It did seem that after playing with the presets things were better, which obviously makes no sense, not like the filter needed time to warm up or anything... :)

I'll try again and come up with a definitive case (though just adding an LFO to the cutoff on the default patch did it for me) and some samples if necessary.

Final word, I still bought it yesterday (PA offer) so it's not a major issue for me generally.

Cheers.

I use dmitry’s M1 binary tho, not PA installer version

ah, I'm just a cheap ass Windows user... ;)

Export a clip at c4 maybe?
I can hear some pops but those are rhytmic and expected

functionform wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:51 pm Finally picked this up. I agree there's some magic in the filters. A rounded ness to them that makes them sound a bit more alive than comparable types in other synths. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I really like making patches in Thorn. It somehow makes it very hard to not make a great sounding patch.
I'm not sure exactly what it is either, but I agree there's a certain something, a little secret sauce that's unique to Thorn's sound. The word I keep wanting to use is "bouncy" even though I have no idea what specifically it is that I'm hearing.

Ploki wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:32 am
I personally only bought it cause i could get the M1 version, else I wouldnt have.
Also because its good to know you can get support outside PA’s garbage ecosystem.
Hi, could I ask where you got the M1 version? Was it separate from the 1.3.0 installer? I've just bought Thorn and installed it with the plugin alliance installer, but I think it's running intel mode.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

pant wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:38 am
I personally only bought it cause i could get the M1 version, else I wouldnt have.
Also because its good to know you can get support outside PA’s garbage ecosystem.
Hi, could I ask where you got the M1 version? Was it separate from the 1.3.0 installer? I've just bought Thorn and installed it with the plugin alliance installer, but I think it's running intel mode.

Drop a line to dmitry via his page and he’ll send you the 1.30 apple silicon binaries.
Yes you’re correct, PA distributes intel only for some reason.

Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 am
pant wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:38 am

Drop a line to dmitry via his page and he’ll send you the 1.30 apple silicon binaries.
Yes you’re correct, PA distributes intel only for some reason.
OK I will, thanks so much for clearing it up for me. I appreciate it a lot. :)

I am using 1.3 (the Apple Silicon build). Not sure if this is a new issue in 1.3.

Has anyone had issues modulating the Harmonic Filter with an envelope? Even with the attack set at 0, the modulation always has an audible attack phase, whether I'm modulating the shape or balance.

For example, I have ENV2 with ASR set to 0, and D set to 25. I'm modulating the Harmonic Filter shape, on the Nylon preset. If I set the modulation amount to 15%, the value of the filter shape should start at the 15% point and decay to 0%. But it doesn't. It always starts at 0%, audibly rises to 15%, and then decays.

I tried using an MSEG and have the same problem, even when I move the first MSEG node all the way up.

I only noticed this on the Harmonic Filter controls.

If it helps anybody, the PA version does install the 1.3.1 which is an Apple Silicon compatible build...

And yes, this synth is still worth it (currently at 39USD) in 2023 for the very fat sound it can produce as well as the fun glitch engine...

Love the Glitch Sequencer.

I really wish Sches would bring MPE to his instruments, but he really seems to stop developing a synth after release. Other than OS related updates, I mean.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:21 pm I really wish Sches would bring MPE to his instruments, but he really seems to stop developing a synth after release. Other than OS related updates, I mean.
MPE and .............. CLAP !!!

But yes... I think that's also what makes the success of a synth... The level of support... I guess if Thron was continuously enhanced it would be in the same ballpark appreciated than pigments....

Return to “Instruments”