What's the remaining gap for impeccable analog modelling today?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The key to your statement is "when they are in front of me"... try doing a blind test and your results may not be as keen.

pdxindy wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Also people are talking about several different things here. Some people are talking analog outboard gear like comps and eqs other are talking about synthesis. I still think analog can do things that digital cant in both arena's and visa versa. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and these things are pretty easily quantifiable. I really dont know why that is so hard for people to grasp.
I can easily tell the difference between analog and digital when they are in front of me. Just play really high notes. Analog stays clean. Of course most people do not even play notes that high.

In that sense it may not be hard to grasp... but simply that for the type of music and choices someone makes, they never touch the places where differences are heard... hence it does not matter to them.

The term should be analog synth modeling... cause acoustic guitars, flutes etc are analog :)

Cinebient wrote:Strobe 2 works fine with MPE.
It does? Maybe I’ve got an older version. There didn’t seem any obvious ways to assign the various axis to the modulation matrix. Could I be missing something?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Have a look again. Strobe 2 is fully MPE compatible and also has the (very) necessary expresion curves like seen in Equator. Everything can be assigned to every dimension and shaped with those expression curves.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Scotty wrote:The key to your statement is "when they are in front of me"... try doing a blind test and your results may not be as keen.
it has nothing to do with a blind test... the reason "when they are in front of me" is pertinent is because I can do the types of sounds that make it obvious.

Most peoples tests are some simple sound in the middle of the spectrum that is hard or impossible to differentiate.

It very much depends on the type of sound. There are plenty of sounds I could not tell even were I looking at the machines. Then there are sounds where it is obvious. The range of sounds where analog and digital emulations are in practice equal, is getting broader and broader and the areas where there is a distinct difference is getting smaller...

Return to “Instruments”