One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

doctorbob wrote:Wow! I agree with you Hanz, that open hat is great - wish mine was that good! Still have to decide whether to include percussion or not in my track. Time will tell ...

Nice groove going there - looking forward to hearing the final product - should be great!

Cheers,

dB
Thanks DB, maybe this will help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzbpsnrinp311 ... S.FXP?dl=0
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Thanks TNS,

It's all about finding the exact sweet spot at times I find - a slight waver either side can give a very very different sound - even the percs! Zebralette was like this too for some parameters.

Have mod'd it for my purposes - but if I keep the perc, I might use your patch (and ack you of course!!).

I'll PM a link to the WIP so you can hear where I am at "perc-wise"

Thanks again

dB

doctorbob wrote:Thanks TNS,

It's all about finding the exact sweet spot at times I find - a slight waver either side can give a very very different sound - even the percs! Zebralette was like this too for some parameters.

Have mod'd it for my purposes - but if I keep the perc, I might use your patch (and ack you of course!!).

I'll PM a link to the WIP so you can hear where I am at "perc-wise"

Thanks again

dB
PM'd you back! Yeah, the filters and other parameters are very touchy in Thorn. It's like playing Operation and the buzzer and nose constantly go haywire haha
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Is it ok to bounce drums? In the rules there is drum consistency mentionned but is it a problem on a modern synth with phase retrigger?
As my crappy laptop can't handle too much instances (and that's the only computer i have at the moment), just creating a decent drumkit takes way too much ressources, and freezing wont help.
Even with the best intentions, dialing compression or adjusting eq is not doable when the music plays at "one frame per second"(for video gamers out there). Osc104 was "fun" in that respect.
I dont mind sharing the presets used if trust is an issue :D

Daru925 wrote:Is it ok to bounce drums? In the rules there is drum consistency mentionned but is it a problem on a modern synth with phase retrigger?
Can you say what the difference between bounce and freeze is!? I though it's recording the drums to wav and using the recording instead of the "live" track, right? I would say go for it...
There was some heated discussion in another thread about Thorn eating up a lot of CPU. I didn't care to throw dirt a Dimitry but I have tried to optimize my project. Measures I took
* I set DAW frequency to 48K (usually I do my tracks in 96KHz 32 Bit)
* I checked each patch for
** "number of voices"
** "Oversampling"
** "Optimize Polyphony"
** powered up modules that I do not need and switched them off

Please note: I just *think* that these steps helped, I haven't done excessive testing whether all measure really have a positive effect as I expected. Probably other users can share their experience and approach on this topic.

Thank you peter, i already applied a few of your suggestions. (i also use 96 khz settings on my main machine)
Its more an issue about my laptop being veeeeery old more than thorn being cpu heavy. Thorn is awesome.
Freezing doesnt allow you to edit anything, while bounce render the channel into wav, which isnt such a problem(imho) with drums as i trigger them inside a drumrack in Live. In terms of resulting sound, it makes no difference triggering a one shot wav sample and one shot instance of synth when said synth has no drifting or fx.
Except the cpu consumption is way higher with a synth.
So id rather spend my cpu tax on melodic sounds that require changes rather than drums.

If its not within the rules, nevermind, but i'll have to pass on osc's until i can afford them :lol:

As I'm playing around with Thorn, I come to be very worried about d34dmeat. :scared: ...I think, his heart might explode or simply stop, because he fell into his most passionate trance, yet.
One single sound can hold endlessly deep patterns that drift off into a kind of nirvana, filled with complex riches, moving calmly but loaded with thoughts and reflections. It is pretty incredible. All the while it has a very beautiful quality, too.

I could not run my DAW on 96khz for the life of me, haha...just using the MME drivers, because Asio is a guaranteed crash on my system, but I'm running fairly well with 48khz as always. Thorn is most certainly more taxing than most, but dang... dang, dingledee dang, dang.
Gorgeous.

Again, d34dmeat, pull yourself together, stay strong and remember to snap out of your trance frequently! :D ...can't wait to hear what you'll do with this! :phones:

hi there everyone, I'm not entering this month but I tried out the demo and I'm really surprised with how great this synth sounds, what a great wavetable synth this is!

For those who entered in the Digits contest some time ago, could you take a look at my question here? I don't know how to load external sounds in it.. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=300

I think, it only supports FXP and FXB, so your vst Host (DAW) would have to allow you to load fxp into a vst.
In MuLab that's a no-brainer. :shrug:

Thorn to be wild...

Inspired by the almost 2 hour long video posted here, I stopped fiddeling with the presets and did a first patch from scratch.
Pretty distorted and heavy outcome, but it was so much fun to play and improvise around with it, I could not resist and recorded a little impro with it on my LinnStrument. As video, also to show Dmitry that it would be well worth it to bring Thorn into MPE land. This time it needed some extra technique to play the bendings, as Thorn does not (yet) do MPE.
Here it is the One Synth - One Sound video (no multitrack, no program change, no automation, no edit - all live):

https://youtu.be/ZGDtWD9CLJM

and the wild patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzntmduox4d4q ... thorn?dl=0

You need a LinnStrument or Roli Seaboard or Roli Block to make it shine...;-)
And I just found out, if you assign via Midi Learn a controller, that is not saved in the preset. My patch had assigned cc74 to the cutoff of filter 2.
And without aftertouch on a keyboard the sound won't go wild at all...;-)
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awww...this is not very nice to show off with a beauty like that LinnStrument. Wished I had any of them, really. The seaboard did interest me the most, but the only one I know, who ever tried it, hated it...meh... I can imagine that I wouldn't.

Anyway, very cool. Thanks for the demo! :tu:

Yeah, the Seaboard didn't catch me either, the LinnStrument did immediately - it brought me back to synthesis, suddenly I am able to play expressively.

1.0.4 is out
don't talk, go and grab it :-)
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regarding seaboard, there's some nice demos at physical audio and their derailer physical modeling plugin...great demos they have

Thorn is just lovely.

Here's my entry:

https://soundcloud.com/zippy731/zippy73 ... se-osc-105

==================
Made in FL Studio.
10 Thorn instances
NO FX in DAW, just a master channel limiter.

Thorn is so good at textures, easy to use, stable. Cheers to Dmitry for a wonderful synth!
Just because it's insane doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
------------------------
Before visiting my Youtube channel or Soundcloud, make sure your affairs are in order. You just never know.

Return to “Instruments”