One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

Oops Reaper crash when I was simply playing around with the harmonic editor in osc 1. Will keep eye out for repeatable cause.

Harry_HH wrote: Its great to have, at lest some, honest, outspoken person in the thread... :roll:
Alright, maybe in Helsinki you are not accustomed to skating on thin ice, but here you truly are, buddy.

If anything, this is an opportunity to practice synthesis with a professionally engineered product. :party: Given that learning synthesis and programming musical compositions is at the core of what the OSC exists for, the lesser rule conflicts and ethical considerations are largely negated (depending on your mood 8) ).

Will we continue to support indie devs releasing experimental free synthesizers with the capability to synthesize a composition as fully as we are conditioned to expect? Probably, and for that I'm grateful.
quick, _ake what you want in life

The temporary activation code can likely be applied to the trial version download because it's a massive 416 MB, in case anybody was also wondering. I'll correct this if I find otherwise.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Besides the beauty of the challenge itself, milking the last little bit out of any given synth to show what it and we can do, indie devs are at the very heart of it all as far as I'm concerned! These commercial exceptions are almost rather some curious orientation and certainly won't become the trend. I'm fairly sure of it. Though, might be actually very useful in many regards to have commercial devs take a round regularly. Good for OSC and KVR and the devs! :tu:

As for the 416MB, YAHA... :o ...freaked me out, too. But it's 9 versions(win 32bit: vst , vst3, AU| win 64bit: vst , vst3, AU and same set for mac), each at 69Mb. Sometimes I really dislike those monster installers.

Am I the only one to have a really disproportioned window size for this synth ? It's like a half too big in height, and a bit to large (a tenth).
Using Windows 10, FL Studio 12.5.X, detached or not. Special feature, there is some gui scaling or so due to a 4k screen, and my other screen is a 720p one. But it was never a problem for my other synths or vsts, and as the proportion aren't respected, I guess there may be something else.
With that configuration, the vsti is so large that it's impossible for me to move it to the other screen's definition because it always has a foot in my main screen. It's going to slow me when browsing through windows (FL Studio special's :p )
Not horrible, but a bit annoying I have to admit.

Dj Pomme wrote:Am I the only one to have a really disproportioned window size for this synth ? It's like a half too big in height, and a bit to large (a tenth).
The interface size is configurable. You can change both the overall size, and the scale. Hit the preferences gear, and look at the GUI Size menu.

mmGhost wrote:i really hope someone bangs out a killer psytrance tune this month, this synth kind of begs for it

Ahhh bummer. I've been on the kvr forums for a few months but only have a few posts to my name. I just discovered the OSC around the middle of last month and was hoping to play around with it a little this month and maybe learn a few things since I'm a complete newbie when it comes to synths, but I guess I'll have to wait until next month.

Hey, I got a code (thanks bjporter and DS) but I am still getting noise swooshes. Can someone tell how to turn them off?

DrMEM wrote:Ahhh bummer. I've been on the kvr forums for a few months but only have a few posts to my name. I just discovered the OSC around the middle of last month and was hoping to play around with it a little this month and maybe learn a few things since I'm a complete newbie when it comes to synths, but I guess I'll have to wait until next month.
What the hell are you talking about? You can participate with no posts to your name, just can't vote unless you've submitted a track or have been on KVR for a while.

thecondomdidntwork wrote:
DrMEM wrote:Ahhh bummer. I've been on the kvr forums for a few months but only have a few posts to my name. I just discovered the OSC around the middle of last month and was hoping to play around with it a little this month and maybe learn a few things since I'm a complete newbie when it comes to synths, but I guess I'll have to wait until next month.
What the hell are you talking about? You can participate with no posts to your name, just can't vote unless you've submitted a track or have been on KVR for a while.
There's a 40 post limit for Thorn code, unless previous OSC member

thecondomdidntwork wrote:Hey, I got a code (thanks bjporter and DS) but I am still getting noise swooshes. Can someone tell how to turn them off?
Are you using version 1.02?

Right off the bat I really love this synth but sadly it is a bit unstable for me. My system is super stable but this synth has already crashed Logic for me several times (I've never had a plugin crash my DAW this frequently). A weird byproduct of that is that when I reload my DAW the unsaved patch I was working on is somehow transferred to a separate instance of Thorn that I have on another track. Weird stuff.
Also there is a delay when I bring up the GUI that I've never experienced with any other plugin (unless I'm pushing a 100+ track count with a ton of effects or something).

Like I said it's too bad because I love the workflow and sound of this synth. Everything is very intuitive and elegantly designed. The glitch sequencer is very fun. Modulation is super easy and very flexible. I really like the filters so far (between the clean and dirty LP alone you have a huge range of options). I even prefer these wavetable oscillators to Zebralette.

Yeah, the GUI delay is scary, that's very true! I think, he never buffers enough of his gui elements or something of that kind. Though, I think it comes up faster in subsequent openings. But it's silly of me to make assumptions. I just know that I was very motivated to have Lord of the Springs come up as quickly as possible after a first opening.

It has been stable thus far on my system and mine is very sensitive, really. Kind of surprising you have such troubles. :shrug: ...see how brutal it is to be a dev, haha! :dog: :wheee:

Return to “Instruments”