Best all-round synth with character?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:
braj wrote:
Ingonator wrote: FWIW i had used Synthmaster since version 1 and i do not talk about Synthmaster One (most people here will not even remember that version of Synthmaster).
I happen to like Synthmaster One. It has its own character actually. It is a pretty decent economy all around synth really.
Well what i mentioned is Synthmaster version 1 (the version before v2), not Synthmaster One...
Anyway Synthmaster One is very nice too. :)
Ah, now I understand what you meant.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Off the bat, late to the party post, but if you want a synth with a distinct sound for free, try ZynAddSubFX or Synth 1. Zyn offers tons of synthesis types, but tends to work best for ambient and pad sounds. It IS quite a beast, though.

If you want paid for, well, depends on what character. What age? What defines character to you? I end up using a mix of Korg and Roland stuff, because the 90's is my jam, but what makes something special to you?

IMHO, Predator 2 has a lot of old school character (i.e. not modern sterile clean but a bit dirty and warm). It still includes a lot of different synthesis types, some more modern like wavetables.

And, if you are more of a preset browser than sound designer, it ships with thousands of presests!

Funny that people recommend TAL, Synth1 and similar synths here when the guy asks for a synth with as many different synthesis types as possible 8)

Virus TI is the answer.

In the VSTi domain it's either the character or the versatility.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I'm heretic if i say "Cobalt"..?

The most versatile, while being quite characterfull, is Zebra 2 for me.
But as already mentioned, you can't have all colors with just one synth.

A solution that also covers a lot of ground is Syntronik. It's samplebased but with modeled filters and a drift engine. So it's no pure synthesis but it does cover a lot of ground and you can freely switch oscillators and filters around.

recursive one wrote:Virus TI is the answer.

In the VSTi domain it's either the character or the versatility.
I agree, although i think that Waldorf Largo combines both pretty well.

As an aside: For me, one of the most characterful/versatile things I use is an effect -- Modnetic by Surreal Machines. I would love to see them make a proper synth.

It seems no one mentioned Halion yet.
List of synthesis methods: subtractive, wave table, granular, sampling, additive...
Anything missing?

There are so many synths that have great character.
It really comes down to "which" character is playing the synth...... 8)

Thanks for the replies.
I've recently bought Largo & PPG wave v.3 which seem to have a particular sound of their own. I would class it as characterful in terms of having their own distinguishable colour of sound.

Excellent choices :tu:

I have Largo and I like its character the most among wavetable synths.
I should do the same and add PPG wave 3 to my synths ;)

Return to “Instruments”