Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

As mentioned multiple times the PCM waveforms in the JV-1080 plugin are the same as in the XV-5080 (and the INT waveforms bank in the Integra-7 module). FWIW XV-5080 was released around 2000, not the 90s.
The FXs are the same as in Fantom X that was released in 2004.

Anyway the preset banks included in the plugin are from the JV-1080 (banks A-C) and JV-2080 (bank D) so they do not use all of the advanced features included with the plugin (those that were added in successors of the JV-1080 hardware).

To use all those you will have to do your own patches from scratch and the plugin offers tons of options for doing your own patches.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, but KLC sounds like a Korg, this sounds like a Roland. The difference does exist (i.e. Roland had much better digital filters at the time, and sample content is beyond ubiquitous. Nothing else is quite like it, which is why I own a JD-990 in hardware). :)
romplers excelled at orchestral sounds, choirs, organs, acustic bass, and acustic and epianos
you telling me you can tell what rompler synth sounds like a korg, roland, yamaha, emu, or whatever?
i think you could not. they sound different, but i dont think any are distinct enough to be singled out.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

That is not what I'm saying. But there are idiosyncracies to them which make it not quite possible to make the same patch from a Korg on a Roland, and vice versa.

Romplers can do much more than orchestrals, choirs, organs, etc.

layzer wrote:meh, for those 90s rompler sounds in VST you can use something like Ravity(s)
I have owned Ravity and Purity for a long time. They are 32 bit only although a 64 bit beta of Purity exists.

Again, focus on the unique sample content that each hardware model incorporates. That is what gives them their own character which is lacking in any current VSTi. Although back then their Pianos etc were considered acceptable, today their power would be in layering. Load a Shaku sample, layer it with a Choir and some Strings and boom instant New Age. That's how we used them around here to create complex sounds.

Of course I wouldn't expect Roland to do an Alesis emulation etc but my point is if a developer created VSTi versions of my current hardware modules, sold them at a reasonable price, and used a C/P method of my approval I would purchase them. My VSTi folder is stuffed full of analog synths so something fresh would be welcome. I own Kontakt and Sampletank and they will easily do those types of layer sounds but again it's the unique sample content that is missing.........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EvilDragon wrote: Romplers can do much more than orchestrals, choirs, organs, etc.
Thank you ! Finally someone who gets it......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
EvilDragon wrote: Romplers can do much more than orchestrals, choirs, organs, etc.
Thank you ! Finally someone who gets it......... :tu:
:tu:

Which is also why I have a Korg TR-Rack (no other synth does motion synth sounds like this one), a JD-990, and a Korg N1R. :tu:

So...Is it multitimbral? Multiple outouts? (and if so, how many?) MIDI Program & Bank Change?

EDIT:
Looked in the manual, I didnt see any info regarding the outputs on this plug. It looks like its just a stereo 1 output conifg from the info provided. That really blows if it is so.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

deastman wrote:“one of the most popular synthesizers in history”

Really? I find that a bit of a stretch.

Granted, I still have mine, but it doesn’t see any use these days (least of all because of my ex-wife deliberately smashing the display). No, I can’t see this being the plugin which tips the scales to make me pay a monthly fee to Roland.
Roland JV-1080, great sounding hardware for sure.
Hope the software does it justice.

Saukar30 wrote:So...Is it multitimbral? Multiple outouts? (and if so, how many?) MIDI Program & Bank Change?

EDIT:
Looked in the manual, I didnt see any info regarding the outputs on this plug. It looks like its just a stereo 1 output conifg from the info provided. That really blows if it is so.
What would you need a multitimbral plugin with multiple outputs for when you can use as many instances of a plugin as you wish? (except you are working on a weakish computer). Midi Programm & Bank Change? What year is it? Are you still on Notator SL? I would highly recommend updating your DAW and living in 2017 :hihi:.

Teksonik wrote:
fanodu1 wrote: I personally don't care much these about old sample-based stuff. Something like a JX-10/MKS-70 emulation would much more interesting I think.
I personally don't care much for yet another emulation of an old analog dinosaur. We have a zillion already.
I can never have enough of those. Especially if they are as close to the real thing as for example Repro-5 or the G-Force stuff. :)

deastman wrote:I can replace my real JV-1080 for about $100.
egbert101 wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for a month, and sampling some presets from the JV-1080 and D-50, rather than spend potentially $2400 over ten years.
pdxindy wrote:
egbert101 wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for a month, and sampling some presets from the JV-1080 and D-50, rather than spend potentially $2400 over ten years.
Buy the real instruments... sample them... then sell then for what you paid for them
Don’t take this personal, but with all due respect either you guys are dumb or just trolls.

The last JV-1080 on eBay was $133 plus shipping, then you would like to sample it with a software like Samplit, MainStage, Sample Robot (over $100) assuming you are working with high quality a/d converters, taking hours to cut, loop and fine tune the samples (what’s your hourly wage?), spamming your hard disk with gigabytes of samples, with aliasing, no original Roland FX in a sample player like Kontakt (which also costs money unless you are using some ugly freeware)?
That adds up to more than threefold.

Then there is the original thing from Roland with just a 200 MB footprint (praise these efficient guys like Eric Persing & Co) which I can get for $215,40 including the luxury of paying by installments (12 months) with 0% interest(!), lifetime upgrades(!) - plus additional 10 hardware plugin replications and over 10 sample based instruments to use one year for free… hello?

I guess Mathematics is not your strength… Anyway if you are such sample heroes and your hourly wage isn’t worth anything I am quite happy to send you over my Roland Integra so you can sample it for me.

I don’t like the subscriptions models at all and I fully understand that someone doesn’t like some features or anything like that. But this blithering idiot talking aka trolling around here on KVR is just annoying!

Ahh but will they include the sounds of the 'banned' Dance Card? Another question... Which sample was it that got it banned? I've still got my 1080, fully expanded, including the Dance Card. It was my Emu's i sold.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

No performance mode does miss a little something. Some of us stacked up parts to the same midi channel. Creating 1 super large sounds. 4 patches often wasn't enough. That super large sound would be routed through the same FX etc. If copying the FX across multiple instance loaded in the DAW it won't quite be the same.

Now if they make this be 8 patch or even 16 patch in 1 part... Now we're talking. This would achieve the same but better.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote:Ahh but will they include the sounds of the 'banned' Dance Card? Another question... Which sample was it that got it banned? I've still got my 1080, fully expanded, including the Dance Card. It was my Emu's i sold.
I hope they will! The SR JV80 02 Orchestral Expansion Card is already available in the Anthology series (not as part of the JV-1080 instrument).

I'm sure this has been covered already, but I haven't seen it yet scanning the thread -- does this include the expansion card content? And if not, has there been any indication if Roland plans to eventually add the expansion content?

A virtual 1080 is nice and all, but wasn't it the expansion cards that people really lusted after for these things ?? And how hard could it be to include / add them to this product, if you've already emulated the whole dang thing...the Korg Legacy M1 and Wavestation included every dang card ever released for each, so if Roland emulated the JV-1080 but didn't bother including the big 4 expansions....what is the point ??

Return to “Instruments”