just M1 and Wavestation vst - or should you get the complete Korg collection?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I still strungle with my decission because of the crappy copy protection, but I really need M1 and Wavestation sounds. AndI guess the Korg emulations are the best and only ones.

I'm wondering if there is any reason to get the complete Korg collection instead of just these both M1 & Wavestation)?

For analog stuff I have Diva and Repro, so I'm not really needing another one. But are there some unique special sound with the Korg polisix or something? Any other reason I don't see to get the whole collection?

It's 50$ for the M1 +Wavestation v. 150$ for the complete collection at the moment (sale).

Could be 50$ vs. 100$ when I would have a 'M1 LE' serial from Korg that I got with my PadKontrol, but I don't find my serial number anymore. Not sure if you can get the 'M1 LE' for cheap here are the sales forum.

But anyhow. I like to have only stuff I need and not just gather. So the question remains the same.

I don't see much point in buying stuff you are not interested in or aren't going to use. The other sounds don't do that digital thing lik the M1 + WS, so if that's what you are after, get those... imo.

I had the same "dilemma". Like you I've got Diva and Repro and I wanted the Korg M1 and Wavestation especially. I saw the sale and bought both. $50. I don't like to buy synths that I know I'm not gonna use. The Odyssey looks good and all but damn I'm already covered with analog synths.

As you said, you don't need another analog emulations. You've already the best with Repro and Diva.
The Korg Polysix, Monopoly and MS-20 are like 15 years old VSTs and they do sound like 15 y.o analog emulations. Those Korg VA have their own "flavor", they are nice and CPU friendly (biggest advantage imo) but what you can create with them, you can create it with Diva and Repro and it just sounds way more accurate to an analog sound.

However M1 and Wavestation are more unique. Meaning that you'll not find VSTs that have the exact same features (especially the PCM samples and presets) as them. But they are 100% accurate emulations and having them for $50 it's just a steal imo. Well, I wasn't born when those synths came out but I can imagine how it feels when you see the price now when you bought a M1 full price back in the 90's lol.

Those are the only two that I bought. For me, it's enough. :)

The complete collection for me :) I love the Korg VA synths sound/filter of Polysix, MS-20 and Mono/Poly. They have 'clean', round and pleasant sound while ARP Odyssey is a great modern analogue emulation.

I bought M1/Wavestation after I bought all the others, but I'm glad I did. They have tons of great usable presets that can replace many individual libraries of acoustic and electronic instruments (good enough for me). So, after all it depends on our usage and taste ;)

Very useful replys! I think I will just get the m1 and Wavestation at the moment, because it's this kind of iconic sound I want. I'm looking for the 90. rompler sounds for house music /detroid techno. But as always you ask yourself what you miss.

Too bad that you can't demo them. At least I don't see a way.

midi_transmission wrote:Very useful replys! I think I will just get the m1 and Wavestation at the moment, because it's this kind of iconic sound I want. I'm looking for the 90. rompler sounds for house music /detroid techno. But as always you ask yourself what you miss.

Too bad that you can't demo them. At least I don't see a way.
The first part has some bad noodling by me.. (hehe) but you can hear some Wavestation sounds this way at least...and you can skip ahead in SoundCloud if you get bored.
https://soundcloud.com/examigan/wavestation-demo

Thanks Examigan. Love to hear those sounds!

But I meant more the other ones in the Korg collection besides these too.

Doesn't the WS also have samples of real instruments? In other words, is it even necessary to get the M1 when you have the WS?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Kork M1= great bread n butter sounds
Korg Wavestation= wavetable and vector synth, crazy cool

The OP already has Diva and Repro as mentioned in 1st post.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

fluffy_little_something wrote:Doesn't the WS also have samples of real instruments? In other words, is it even necessary to get the M1 when you have the WS?
M1 and WS even share some of the same samples.
they can both layer up to 8 patches in a performance/combination
consisting of 4osc for WS and 2osc for M1
but the M1's effects setup has individual inserts per patch layer, WS does not,
making the M1 quite powerful in its sound sculpting
abilities.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Full bucket also makes a pretty good free MonoPoly vst as well.

Stick to M1 and Wavestation.
:borg:

I'm a huge fan of the M1 and Wavestation, and perhaps a little less of the MS-20 and Polysix instrumements. That is - except when they're layered or split in a patch. Legacy Cell allows layers / Splits for those two (MS-20 and Polysix), which brings them to life. I was pretty excited initially about the ARP Odyssey... but it fell short of my expectations, for real-time use.

Return to “Instruments”