One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Voted...hopefully everything went well technically speaking, because due to a internet outage I can only use my mobile phone...
Anyways thanks and good luck to all!
] Peter:H [

Voted!

Well done everyone. I finished voting pretty early because there were surprisingly fewer submissions than I expected, given the incredible potential of Diodow. Astonishingly, it appears only an elite few were able to complete this month's challenge so congratulations to you all! :party:

Maybe it's because Diodow appeals to more analytical folks, rather than something like this current month's synth, which may have a more aesthetically pleasing gui. From init I actually find Diodow to be more intuitive than Fathom for new users, although Fathom quickly shows its shocking flexibility and better workflow (I might reconsider if Fathom had an Init equipped with an oscillator and an amp adsr, at least :lol:). What's interesting is that they provide for each other's weaknesses. Where Diodow seemed to lack the strengths of a monophonic synth, free Fathom may struggle to provide the wonderful sonic complexity that Diodow easily delivers with its polyphonic capability and efficient cpu use, seemingly unmatchable in similarly routed Fathom patches.

This is so amazing! :hyper: I love participating in the OSC. :love:

edit - Oh wow, never mind the monophonic comparison :dog: - I just saw that osc 109 is not the free version of Fathom anymore! I should've checked back sooner! :scared: :wheee:
quick, _ake what you want in life

Aside -

These days when I'm listening to new music on Bandcamp, or Soundcloud or whatever - I often find myself momentarily confused about whether I'm listening to "real" music or OSC tracks :o

My point being, the standards around here seem high enough much of the time that I'm starting to confuse OSC with reality :D

Sometimes I'll be listening to a new good piece of music from somewhere and I'll be thinking "That's decent, but it is a 4 not a 5" ...and then remember it's not OSC at all!

That's really funny zarf, I've started grading music by OSC standards as well.

Final Results: Schiing is the Champion!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

1st Schiing - Pour Some Vape into Those Smooth Etudes Kid! - 102pts

2nd PeterH - Me Dreamt of Pathetic Cliché Sounds And Phrases - 93pts

3rd Guenon - Music Bot in AUTOEXEC.BAT - 93pts

4th 574X - Sensory Perception - 93pts

5th Zarf - It Might Be Space Jazz - 91pts

6 The Never Scene - Gone the way of the Diodow 91pts
7 satYatunes - Diodow Ride 89pts
8 Taron - BigLeap 86pts
9 bh9090 - Staples Mill Sob 82pts
10 DoctorBob - Easy Waltzy Does It - Diodow 79pts
11 functionform - Biergarten 78pts
12 Liqih - Diodow Green Coffee 76pts
13 eauson - AqwaDIYDUB Diodow 75pts
14 mostlyjustj - Diode Is A One Way Street 75pts
15 Wagtunes - Sci Fi Soundtrack From Hell 73pts
16 Frostline - Slew 73pts
17 Aluode - Cambodia 70pts
18 Lovesindoom - All You Want 66pts
19 Darksynth FX - You Shall Not Pass 65pts
20 bryemye - Encave 59pts

Prizes:
First place winner, please announce your chosen prize and specify whether or not you give permission to upload your track to our spotify/itunes/etc page run by rghvdberg (Sales would go to osc/prize pool), and pass it on to the next winner down. To receive the prize, it may take some time (even a week-month+), but be patient. :hug: NOTE: prizes are not passed down below top 5

Solid tunes :clap: :clap: :clap: :party: :party: :party: :tu:

Scoresheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... liqoyLHTA/

Huge congratz to the winners! All five were fives, too :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Now maybe people will believe me when I tell them it doesn't matter what I submit to these things. In spite of the many comments about how this was by far my best entry ever, I still finished in the bottom 25% of the field.

So glad to finally be done with these. And I only entered this one because this synth truly inspired me.

Obviously that didn't matter all that much.

wagtunes wrote:Now maybe people will believe me when I tell them it doesn't matter what I submit to these things. In spite of the many comments about how this was by far my best entry ever, I still finished in the bottom 25% of the field.

So glad to finally be done with these. And I only entered this one because this synth truly inspired me.

Obviously that didn't matter all that much.
You're track was great. Being on the more experimental side of things is a tough place to be. My roots, heart and passion in music (aside from synth based) is sludgy doom metal.....there are about 17 people on earth that aren't completely repulsed by the sound of it :)
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing like a fresh box of Knorr Scotch Broth!

Congratulations, everyone! :party: I'm just grateful that I did this well this round, especially compared to the top 5, who I felt all deserved 5s.

If it’s of any help, some of the things I did differently than my usual average placement: I honed in on exactly the type of sound design I wanted, which included listening to a big mix reference playlist all the time. I repeatedly revisited each section throughout the month to improve it even further. I also spent a full day redoing the entire mix by referencing between a stereo (rated 20-10k, it's pretty muddy but helps clarify what needs to be done with the low end) and the m40x (which are one of the best tools I've found, but I don't usually use them because wearing them for long periods causes problems).

Thanks, everyone, for participating in this OSC. I hope you all learned lots, like I did! :hyper:
quick, _ake what you want in life

AH, congrats to the winners! And, yeah, Schiing.... you're friggin' crazy good! :hail:

Tahahaha....Liqih, now I get it! ;)

Congratulations to top 5. Well deserved.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Oh, wow...you see me baffled...2nd place. Congrats to you all, who dared to tackle diodow - it was a tough tool to handle but equally capable and inspiring. Congrats to the top fivers, I feel honored to be one of you. Big thanks to all of you OSC-enthusiasts for your supportive comments and voting me into the top 5...didn't expect that. It's a big honor! Many thanks!
Big thanks to the OSC community in general...learning a lot, getting to know lots of synths, "meet" people...it's good to be part of it!

Final thought for today: I thought my approach to music is probably too "abstract" sometimes (Thanks to @TheNeverScene for the idea to call it "abstract". I like the category "abstract machine music")...Too abstract to make my tracks resonate with a broader audience ...anyway in germany we say "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a grain of corn"...found it :-)

] Peter:H [

Return to “Instruments”