One Synth Challenge #109: Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

mmGhost wrote:big ups guys, some really nice ones in there this time around. if you want more pointed feedback than my normal caveman comments on SC, hit me up via KVR direct message, or SC messenger. i love talking music.

also, thx for the comments, love readin' 'em.

laterz

Caveman comments.......Thats how I feel. I blurt out the first phrase that come to mind. I would really lie to interact more but the SC app isnt as user friendly as the browser page.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Voted!!!

This was a very competetive round.
Thanks to all for you nice comments on my track.
Good luck everyone.

And a big shout out to all of you guys that do this every month.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Voted as well, a lot of good tracks.
Nice to have been a part of this OSC, well done everyone.

PS:
There were quite some differences in volume.
Some tracks were much louder then others, especially from the ones I liked best.
I imported them into Expose from Mastering in the mix, with the Soundcloud master preset ( used that for mine ).
It seems CD master levels were used. Max -0.1 dB for e.g. TheNeverScene - Morning Resolutions.
Thought it was best to have lower levels for streaming services?

https://ibb.co/hzJyxS

@RPH did I get that right - you have used an external mastering tool?
hm...if yes, please review the rules, but I think I just got your post wrong.
Anyways - Loudness War is over, so I don't strive for the ultimate sausage.
I try to get the right sound...whatever right means in this context.

In my render ( masterchannel ) I used Youlean, a free tool, to check the levels.
Expose is a viewing tool I used afterwards to see if my song wasn't too loud for Souncloud upload, it does nothing to the sound.
Is that also not allowed? I'll check the rules again..

Edit: rules say nothing about using a tool afterwards to check levels are OK.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Anyways - Loudness War is over, so I don't strive for the ultimate sausage.
Indeed, that's a good thing.
I notice in my track there are a lot of peaks, I'm trying to learn how to get a better mix ( glued better together ) without losing all the dynamics / transients for future songs.
Do not want to squash everything into a white noise like view. :)
Last edited by RPH on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPH wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote: Anyways - Loudness War is over, so I don't strive for the ultimate sausage.
Indeed, that's a good thing.
I notice in my track there are still a lot of peaks, I'm trying to learn how to get a better mix ( glued better together ) without losing all the dynamics / transients.
Do not want to squash everything into a white noise like view. :)
I use lots of compressors with different settings. sometimes even in a row. Some faster ones for only slightly cutting off the top of the peaks, some for glueing with optionaly using an internal side-chain to make the compressor less reacting to low freq content. Some times parallel compression...What I also do is simulating the pumping effekt with volum shaping tools or why not use automation...or even start with sound design to control peaks...a little bit more attack, less decay, ...

RPH wrote:In my render ( masterchannel ) I used Youlean, a free tool, to check the levels.
Expose is a viewing tool I used afterwards to see if my song wasn't too loud for Souncloud upload, it does nothing to the sound.
Is that also not allowed? I'll check the rules again..

Edit: rules say nothing about using a tool afterwards to check levels are OK.
Analysing is completely fine! I do that too and adapt settings in the master channel accordingly. Good approach, RPH. Thanks for clarification. The rules just want to avoid that everyone runs AAMS or Ozone to master the tracks after it was rendered.

Voted!

Voted. Some stunning submissions this month. 0x0

Voting done. Quite a range of styles, made me feel drunk after the row. Nice drones.

BTW yeah my MP3 is a low volume one, I hope you used the knob to pump it up.

Voted.

I had so many fives I took the best 5s and moved everything else down. So my threes would have been fours and 4s 5s any other month. Great job all..

liqih wrote: BTW yeah my MP3 is a low volume one, I hope you used the knob to pump it up.
Of course ... :D
dB

Voted! Some great stuff this month as always. Some real stunners in there too.

Voted.
Just about procrastinated to the point of forgetting though. Apologies to the tracks I left to the last minute and simply did not have time to comment on.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Return to “Instruments”