Dream soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
recursive one wrote:Lol, I literally can't think of anything more remote from my dream synth than an iphone app emulating a boring old analogue synth.
Cinebient is in love with the Moog sound :hihi: Everything that sounds "Moogish" to him is enough to make him feel in heaven.
Tbh I thought that he was in love with iphones :D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fmr wrote:
recursive one wrote:Lol, I literally can't think of anything more remote from my dream synth than an iphone app emulating a boring old analogue synth.
Cinebient is in love with the Moog sound :hihi: Everything that sounds "Moogish" is enough to make him feel in heaven.
My cat gets happy just trough a ball of paper..... :D
Indeed, not every Moog makes me happy. Monark and The Legend let me cold for some reasons (but i do love Dune 2).
I feel sad for you guys that you won´t get happy ever maybe :wink:
Life sucks and is too short.
And i just like the apps....not the iPhone really.
Last edited by Cinebient on Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote:
fmr wrote:
Cinebient is in love with the Moog sound :hihi: Everything that sounds "Moogish" to him is enough to make him feel in heaven.
Well, that too (not just iPhones, but Apple in general, I suspect)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
recursive one wrote:
fmr wrote:
Well, that too (not just iPhones, but Apple in general, I suspect)
Huh? Maybe you just hate Apple. I really don´t see a reason to hate or love a brand.
But indeed i like Logic a lot but beside that i don´t know what it has to do with Apple if developers won´t support Windoof or Crapdroid :D

Cinebient wrote: I feel sad for you guys that you won´t get happy ever maybe :wink:
Oh, but I feel happy... many times. Especially when there is music involved.

BTW: One of the instruments that makes me really happy is Falcon... the same Falcon that you seem to not be very happy with. Another one is HALion. :shrug:

And Zebra... As I said, if Urs would add the sample oscillators, and the sample manipulation/additive/granular stuff I wrote about, that would be very close to my dream synth (maybe just a couple of more specialized filters too)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: I feel sad for you guys that you won´t get happy ever maybe :wink:
Oh, but I feel happy... many times. Especially when there is music inmvolved.

BTW: One of the instruments that makes me really happy is exactly Falcon... the same Falcon that you seem to not be very happy with). Another one is HALion. :shrug:

And Zebra... As I said, if Urs would add the sample oscillators, and the sample manipulation/additive/granular stuff I wrote about, that would be very close to my dream synth (maybe just a couple of more specialized filters too)
Now we can agree....Zebra with sample import (but multi samples please) and OSC as modulation source on any destination would it make my dream synth maybe in a heartbeat.
But that won´t happen.
Falcon is really a powerful tool but maybe it just sucks in my hands on a notebook.
Without multi-core support it´s useless for me yet. And it´s also damn slow compared to Kontakt for large sample libraries.

Cinebient wrote:
fmr wrote:
Cinebient is in love with the Moog sound :hihi: Everything that sounds "Moogish" is enough to make him feel in heaven.
Indeed, not every Moog makes me happy. Monark and The Legend let me cold for some reasons (but i do love Dune 2).
I'm not critcizing your choises... whatever floats your boat, really. I just wanted to say, literally, an app emulating a Moog is something totally opposite to what I may find interesting, but it's just me.

Luckily there are enough soft synths which make me happy.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cinebient wrote: Now we can agree....Zebra with sample import (but multi samples please) and OSC as modulation source on any destination would it make my dream synth maybe in a heartbeat.
But that won´t happen.
Who knows?... (I surely don't, but we are dreaming, right?)
Fernando (FMR)

recursive one wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
fmr wrote:
I'm not critcizing your choises... whatever floats your boat, really. I just wanted to say, literally, an app emulating a Moog is something totally opposite to what I may find interesting, but it's just me.

Luckily there are enough soft synths which make me happy.
I understand and i was indeed never interested in such a synth and like i said most Minimoog emulations and also the Repro alpha left me totally cold.
If i like what i hear, then i don´t care what it emulates or not. It must speak to me in some ways.
And so far there are a few synths which always succeed to amaze me when i play with them in some ways like f.e.:
Sculpture, P900, Model D iOS, Zeeon iOS, Repro and Alchemy.
But also like i said the best presets i heard are the multi-ones included in Logic or the ones i layer myself.
I still have to explore Infinite and Icarus more in depth which i like too.
ACE is great too and i like the character of it more than Zebra or Bazille.
I think i don´t need any synth anyway but some new FX to surprise me would be nice.
So i look forward to U-he Lyrebird Pro (or however it will be named).

wagtunes wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
wagtunes wrote:See, here's why I WOULD want a synth that could sound like anything.

Right now, when I do a track, I have to sift through 100 VSTs looking for JUST the right one to do the job that I need done for that particular track. And for songs with 10, 20 or more tracks, I could easily use 10 different VSTs. It gets tiresome looking through all that stuff. With just ONE VST, all I have to do is just pull it up and dial in the sound I want.

That would rid me of so much stuff and make my Cubase load faster since it wouldn't have to read through all those VSTs.

So that's why I'd want just one synth to do it all.
I disagree.

I LIKE the fact that I can't get every sound with a synth. This forces me to think creatively to get as close as possible to the sound I want, which improves my sound sculpting abilities and produces creative sounds that I would never have considered on my own.

Sure, the music in my head is the starting template for what I'm building, but rarely do my tracks ever end up sounding like that. You can call me a bad sound designer if you wish, but I'd rather think of my mistakes as experiments that often produce better results than I had originally thought of.

Also, I think of a synth as an instrument, like a piano or guitar. Both of these instruments are obviously limited in what sounds they can make, and that's part of the fun of playing them, adapting them to fit the music/mood as best as possible, yet still being forced to play around their limitations in creative ways. Synths are already able to generate more types of sounds than any acoustic instrument, to the point that they almost feel "cheap" to use. For this reason, unless I'm writing a purely electronic piece, I try to limit my usage of synths to one per song, and then decide on a synth that sounds fun to use, and then try to use it to do whatever I feel like is needed in the song, whether it's more bass, pads in the background, or a lead solo. Only with rare exceptions will I change synths in the middle of a song, use multiple synth tracks, or write parts that I feel a human couldn't perform live. Perhaps it's just a personal preference, having grown up listening to mostly rock and jazz, but I really feel it sucks the fun out of writing.

And come on, there's no way anyone needs 100 synths (unless by 100 VSTs you've including things that aren't synths, in which case you should organize them in folders to make life easier for you!) Having just a few (one additive/subtractive, one wavetable, one rompler-ish, one analog-sounding) is more than enough to get you close enough to any sound you can imagine. You just have to learn these synths inside-out and think creatively and you can get sounds that you never imagined out of them.
First of all, I have over 100 synths and/or sound generation things.

A.N.A.
ABSynth 5
ACE
Analog Lab
Analog Laboratory
Aparillo
ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Battery 4 (D)
Bazille
Blue II
Buchla Easel V
Carbon Electra
Chromaphone 2
CMI V
CRX 4
CS 80
Cyclop
DaHornet
Discovery Pro
Diva
Dune 2
DX7 V
Electra 2
Element
Factory
Falcon
Fathom
FM8
HALion 6
Harmor
Hive
Icarus
ImpOSCar 2
Infinite Pro
Iris 2
Jupiter 8V
KarmaFX Modular
Kontakt 5
Legend
Lucid
Lush 101
M1
Massive
Mini V
Modular V
MODO Bass
Mono Poly
MorphoX
Mpowersynth
Mr Alias Pro
MS 20
M-Tron Pro
MUX Modular
Mystic
Nave
Nemesis
Oberheim SEM
Omnisphere
OP-X Pro II
Oxium
Padshop
Pianoteq
Play VST
Podolski
Poly 6
Poly KB III
PolyM
Prologue
Prophet V
Ragnarok
Rapid
Rayblaster
Reaktor 6
Real Eight
Real Guitar
Real LPC
Real Rick
Real Strat
Repro-1
Retrologue
Revitar
Rez 3
Saurus 2
Scrooo
Serum
Six
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Spector
Spectral
Spire
String Studio
Strum Acoustic
Strum Electric
Sunrizer
Syn'X 2
Synclavier V
Synth1
Synthmaster
Sytrus
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro II
TAL Noisemaker
TAL U No 62
TCM II
TDM 3
The Mangle
Thorn
Tyrell N6
Ultra Analog 2
Vast Vaporizer
VirtualCZ
Wavegenerator
Wavemapper 2
Wavestation
Wiggle
X-WoF
XILS 4
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

Second of all, what exactly are you disagreeing with? I said "I" would like a synth that does everything. And explained why. you're not in charge of my life and the things that "I" want. You want to do things YOUR way? Great! Power to you. And I respect your right to do things that way. There's nothing to agree or disagree with. This isn't a question of agreeing or disagreeing. We each have our own preferences. I respect yours. Al I ask is that you respect mine.

Sheesh.
Wow, no need to get pissy about it.

I'm disagreeing with the idea that anyone needs that amount of synths. Even if your job is music production, you probably would do better just learning a few synths and mastering them so that you can use them to make nearly any sound possible. Of course, I'm excluding things like modeled instruments, which I can see the need to buy to get a unique sound. But having that many synths is simply redundant and probably counter-productive as well.

Regardless though, there's no reason to come at me with that attitude.

Ooops, double post.
Last edited by twitewhite on Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: But if you already have an iPad or iPhone...
Why would someone spend money on that sh!t? :hihi:

I have a smartphone comparable to an iPhone 8+ and I paid 200 euros for it.
Same reason people buy Rolex and Gucci. Status symbols.

twitewhite wrote:
fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: But if you already have an iPad or iPhone...
Why would someone spend money on that sh!t? :hihi:

I have a smartphone comparable to an iPhone 8+ and I paid 200 euros for it.
Same reason people buy Rolex and Gucci. Status symbols.
Finally someone admits that iPhone supposed advantage is merely "status" (which means it is overpriced, as happens usually with ALL Apple products).

Since I am not a "Gucci" guy or a "Rolex" guy, nor would I ever be even if I had the money to have them (that "status" thing is usually defined as "nouveau riche" and the meaning of the word is not at all aggreable) I would never be a iPhone guy either, and I fight that mentality. I would rather spend my money helping those that are less fortunate than me :roll:
Last edited by fmr on Wed May 02, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

In my dreams...my synths can fly
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:In my dreams...my synths can fly
So, your dream synth is an airplane :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”