RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:In my dreams...my synths can fly
You may think your synths can fly ... but you better not try
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fmr wrote:
So, your dream synth is an airplane :lol:
You've never seen flying synths? You haven't been dreaming properly yet!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

recursive one wrote:
You may think your synths can fly ... but you better not try
I levitate. Sitting atop my flying synths.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

recursive one wrote:Lol, I literally can't think of anything more remote from my dream synth than an iphone app emulating a boring old analogue synth.
I understand the objection against making music with your iPhone, but, "boring old analogue synth"? :smack: IMO, it doesn't have its legendary status for nothing. :) Not much of a need for the Moog app as well though. It's more of a gadget for me, like the iPhone/iPad as well. I already prefer opening my DAW on a 24" display, opposed to the "small" 15.6" display of my laptop, on a even smaller screen, i'd feel pretty limited, for sure. Especially with all that app switching necessary.

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:Lol, I literally can't think of anything more remote from my dream synth than an iphone app emulating a boring old analogue synth.
I understand the objection against making music with your iPhone, but, "boring old analogue synth"? :smack: IMO, it doesn't have its legendary status for nothing. :)
I didn't object anything, actually I just wanted to point out that different people need/want/dream about very different things. I have Monark for the authentic Moog sound, sure it sounds very good, but I don't need basic analog sounds very often. It can get more interesting with filter feedback and FM but still too limited for my purposes.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

twitewhite wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
wagtunes wrote:See, here's why I WOULD want a synth that could sound like anything.

Right now, when I do a track, I have to sift through 100 VSTs looking for JUST the right one to do the job that I need done for that particular track. And for songs with 10, 20 or more tracks, I could easily use 10 different VSTs. It gets tiresome looking through all that stuff. With just ONE VST, all I have to do is just pull it up and dial in the sound I want.

That would rid me of so much stuff and make my Cubase load faster since it wouldn't have to read through all those VSTs.

So that's why I'd want just one synth to do it all.
I disagree.

I LIKE the fact that I can't get every sound with a synth. This forces me to think creatively to get as close as possible to the sound I want, which improves my sound sculpting abilities and produces creative sounds that I would never have considered on my own.

Sure, the music in my head is the starting template for what I'm building, but rarely do my tracks ever end up sounding like that. You can call me a bad sound designer if you wish, but I'd rather think of my mistakes as experiments that often produce better results than I had originally thought of.

Also, I think of a synth as an instrument, like a piano or guitar. Both of these instruments are obviously limited in what sounds they can make, and that's part of the fun of playing them, adapting them to fit the music/mood as best as possible, yet still being forced to play around their limitations in creative ways. Synths are already able to generate more types of sounds than any acoustic instrument, to the point that they almost feel "cheap" to use. For this reason, unless I'm writing a purely electronic piece, I try to limit my usage of synths to one per song, and then decide on a synth that sounds fun to use, and then try to use it to do whatever I feel like is needed in the song, whether it's more bass, pads in the background, or a lead solo. Only with rare exceptions will I change synths in the middle of a song, use multiple synth tracks, or write parts that I feel a human couldn't perform live. Perhaps it's just a personal preference, having grown up listening to mostly rock and jazz, but I really feel it sucks the fun out of writing.

And come on, there's no way anyone needs 100 synths (unless by 100 VSTs you've including things that aren't synths, in which case you should organize them in folders to make life easier for you!) Having just a few (one additive/subtractive, one wavetable, one rompler-ish, one analog-sounding) is more than enough to get you close enough to any sound you can imagine. You just have to learn these synths inside-out and think creatively and you can get sounds that you never imagined out of them.
First of all, I have over 100 synths and/or sound generation things.

A.N.A.
ABSynth 5
ACE
Analog Lab
Analog Laboratory
Aparillo
ArcSyn
ARP 2600 V
Avenger
Battery 4 (D)
Bazille
Blue II
Buchla Easel V
Carbon Electra
Chromaphone 2
CMI V
CRX 4
CS 80
Cyclop
DaHornet
Discovery Pro
Diva
Dune 2
DX7 V
Electra 2
Element
Factory
Falcon
Fathom
FM8
HALion 6
Harmor
Hive
Icarus
ImpOSCar 2
Infinite Pro
Iris 2
Jupiter 8V
KarmaFX Modular
Kontakt 5
Legend
Lucid
Lush 101
M1
Massive
Mini V
Modular V
MODO Bass
Mono Poly
MorphoX
Mpowersynth
Mr Alias Pro
MS 20
M-Tron Pro
MUX Modular
Mystic
Nave
Nemesis
Oberheim SEM
Omnisphere
OP-X Pro II
Oxium
Padshop
Pianoteq
Play VST
Podolski
Poly 6
Poly KB III
PolyM
Prologue
Prophet V
Ragnarok
Rapid
Rayblaster
Reaktor 6
Real Eight
Real Guitar
Real LPC
Real Rick
Real Strat
Repro-1
Retrologue
Revitar
Rez 3
Saurus 2
Scrooo
Serum
Six
Softube Modular
Sonigen Modular
Spector
Spectral
Spire
String Studio
Strum Acoustic
Strum Electric
Sunrizer
Syn'X 2
Synclavier V
Synth1
Synthmaster
Sytrus
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro II
TAL Noisemaker
TAL U No 62
TCM II
TDM 3
The Mangle
Thorn
Tyrell N6
Ultra Analog 2
Vast Vaporizer
VirtualCZ
Wavegenerator
Wavemapper 2
Wavestation
Wiggle
X-WoF
XILS 4
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

Second of all, what exactly are you disagreeing with? I said "I" would like a synth that does everything. And explained why. you're not in charge of my life and the things that "I" want. You want to do things YOUR way? Great! Power to you. And I respect your right to do things that way. There's nothing to agree or disagree with. This isn't a question of agreeing or disagreeing. We each have our own preferences. I respect yours. Al I ask is that you respect mine.

Sheesh.
Wow, no need to get pissy about it.

I'm disagreeing with the idea that anyone needs that amount of synths. Even if your job is music production, you probably would do better just learning a few synths and mastering them so that you can use them to make nearly any sound possible. Of course, I'm excluding things like modeled instruments, which I can see the need to buy to get a unique sound. But having that many synths is simply redundant and probably counter-productive as well.

Regardless though, there's no reason to come at me with that attitude.
Which is why I'd like to have ONE synth to do EVERYTHING.

You think I want to have 100 synths?

Do people even read anymore?

recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:
I understand the objection against making music with your iPhone, but, "boring old analogue synth"? :smack: IMO, it doesn't have its legendary status for nothing. :)
I didn't object anything, actually I just wanted to point out that different people need/want/dream about very different things. I have Monark for the authentic Moog sound, sure it sounds very good, but I don't need basic analog sounds very often. It can get more interesting with filter feedback and FM but still too limited for my purposes.
Fair enough, Monark/Minimoog is surely not very versatile, but... every time i boot up Monark, i sadly hoped my other flagship synth would sound that way. :cry: Not that they sound bad, but, Monark sounds so good that it really creates the illusion of playing with a (good sounding) analog synth. and every time i play with it, i find more things i like about that sound. Just, almost, perfect.

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Fair enough, Monark/Minimoog is surely not very versatile, but... every time i boot up Monark, i sadly hoped my other flagship synth would sound that way. :cry: Not that they sound bad, but, Monark sounds so good that it really creates the illusion of playing with a (good sounding) analog synth. and every time i play with it, i find more things i like about that sound. Just, almost, perfect.
Curious, do you think Monark sounds better than The Legend? I won't even drag Arturia into this conversation out of respect.

You should explore GAS synthesis. Everybody will want to buy it even though they didn't need it in the 1st place. w
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

wagtunes wrote:You think I want to have 100 synths?
I think you want to post in 100 threads! :shock:
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

My dream synth: sort of a polyphonic reaktor blocks, with a wide wide range of modules comprising state-of-the-art emulations of hardware oscillators/filters/envelopes, along with things like additive oscillators, spectral filters etc

An easy to use system of modulation/routing where everything can be routed to everything else.

Stable, as light on cpu as it's possible to be given the spec, a motivated developer, and a steady stream of inexpensive new modules.

fmr wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: But if you already have an iPad or iPhone...
Why would someone spend money on that sh!t? :hihi:

I have a smartphone comparable to an iPhone 8+ and I paid 200 euros for it.
Same reason people buy Rolex and Gucci. Status symbols.
Finally someone admits that iPhone supposed advantage is merely "status" (which means it is overpriced, as happens usually with ALL Apple products).

Since I am not a "Gucci" guy or a "Rolex" guy, nor would I ever be even if I had the money to have them (that "status" thing is usually defined as "nouveau riche" and the meaning of the word is not at all aggreable) I would never be a iPhone guy either, and I fight that mentality. I would rather spend my money helping those that are less fortunate than me :roll:
Sorry but thats bullshit. IPhones are just phones and that´s it.
I hold my phones 4-6 years and my notebook maybe much longer.
I drive my car until it broken (can´t be long).
I work up to 300 hours a months and make no holiday to afford what i want.
I´m living in a first world country but i´m not rich or even someone with better income.
IPhones are since years no status symbols anymore and i don´t care.
I have no watch (just one from my grandfather i never wear). :D
The only reason i use an iPhone are indeed all the apps i bought over the years.
I got my mac for a good price and it will last for years maybe and i like Logic and don´t want to use something else now. The easy iOS to mac integration might play a part too here.
I know i post nonsense too but this is bullshit really!!

My dream soft synths are synths that I have and adore (Avenger, Repro, PolyKBIII...) but demanding 4 times less CPU.
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

Cinebient wrote:
fmr wrote: Finally someone admits that iPhone supposed advantage is merely "status" (which means it is overpriced, as happens usually with ALL Apple products).

Since I am not a "Gucci" guy or a "Rolex" guy, nor would I ever be even if I had the money to have them (that "status" thing is usually defined as "nouveau riche" and the meaning of the word is not at all aggreable) I would never be a iPhone guy either, and I fight that mentality. I would rather spend my money helping those that are less fortunate than me :roll:
I´m living in a first world country but i´m not rich or even someone with better income.
The only reason i use an iPhone are indeed all the apps i bought over the years.
I got my mac for a good price and it will last for years maybe and i like Logic and don´t want to use something else now. The easy iOS to mac integration might play a part too here.
Hey, it wasn't me who said that the iPhone is a matter of status :hihi:. And the iPhone doesn't last more than any other smartphone (actually, the shady Apple policy of planned obsolescence may even cause it to last less). And an iPhone 8 Plus costs almost 1.000 euros, while my Xiaomi costed 300 (after paying the VAT).

Sure, I cannot run the iOS apps in it, but I don't care... it's a smartphone, I'm OK if it just does what a smartphone is supposed to do. And I certainly would not buy an iPhone just because it can run one or two synths.

I also have a Mac, and there are some macOS applications I also love. I have been using Macs for like 30 years now, and I was an Apple champion years ago. But not anymore. I am pissed about the fact that Macs cost more and more, and perform less and less, are less and less reliable, and seem to privilege design and status over power and functionality. These are facts, not bullshit.

You yourself complained about the lack of power of your Macbook. How much did you pay for it? How much would cost you a similarly spec'ed Windows laptop?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
fmr wrote: Finally someone admits that iPhone supposed advantage is merely "status" (which means it is overpriced, as happens usually with ALL Apple products).

Hey, it wasn't me who said that the iPhone is a matter of status :hihi:. And the iPhone doesn't last more than any other smartphone (actually, the shady Apple policy of planned obsolescence may even cause it to last less). And an iPhone 8 Plus costs almost 1.000 euros, while my Xiaomi costed 300 (after paying the VAT).

Sure, I cannot run the iOS apps in it, but I don't care... it's a smartphone, I'm OK if it just does what a smartphone is supposed to do. And I certainly would not buy an iPhone just because it can run one or two synths.

I also have a Mac, and there are some macOS applications I also love. I have been using Macs for like 30 years now, and I was an Apple champion years ago. But not anymore. I am pissed about the fact that Macs cost more and more, and perform less and less, are less and less reliable, and seem to privilege design and status over power and functionality. These are facts, not bullshit.

You yourself complained about the lack of power of your Macbook. How much did you pay for it? How much would cost you a similarly spec'ed Windows laptop?
The problem is also i really don´t want to learn another DAW and i begin to get accept that i have bounce a lot in my bigger projects. I can live with it.
We also have a windows 10 notebook in the house but i really can´t work with it. I mean it´s a cheap one for 400 or so. The trackpad is just shit and unusable.
Logic is still the best bang for buck ever for music tools for me.
And yes, i would like to upgrade but it´s indeed too expensive and not worth the small cpu bump yet for me.
But i still like mac much more for music and so i pay more. I juts buy what makes me happy. I don´t care about a brand of hard- and or software. If i like it and can afford it i buy it.
I´m getting older and job is hard and i don´t know how long i can afford any of these things.
I also get mostly good money if i resell my Apple devices. Can´t say that with other computers yet.

Return to “Instruments”