Poly-LD8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For a while SE was so popular, why did they not use that momentum and income to hire a couple of programmers in order to port it early and rapidly to 64 bit?

Technically, 64-bit is absolutely required in fact only for a massive sample use. That's all.

But I perfectly understand that a great part of users prefer to stick to 64-bit simply because they think that 64-bit means more modern. Technically the 64-bit architecture doesn't change anything to the CPU work, it changes only the size of max memory admissible for the treatments.

But the way the things are accepted or not by the users is a matter of choice and of taste.

Myself I today don't use any more the least plugin compiled in 32-bit if it is sample-based (using great sizes of samples, not using small samples or single-cycle waveforms).

But for all the rest I keep on using indifferently 32-bit or 64-bit plugins.

It is nothing else than a matter of choice, of personal taste. But telling that the treatments by the CPU are different wether the plugin is 32 or 64-bit don't rely on anything. Only the max size of RAM is totally different.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

i'am in your dream you suckheads hehehe.

keep it mind, l-day

Maybe more people would still use 32-bit plugins if those were extraordinary and offered something no 64-bit plugin offers. But I doubt that is the case.

I don't know this new plugin and I can't test it as I am one of those who only uses 64-bit stuff. So, does this plugin offer something that no 64-bit plugin offers? Does it sound better? Does it have unique features?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe more people would still use 32-bit plugins if those were extraordinary and offered something no 64-bit plugin offers. But I doubt that is the case.

I don't know this new plugin and I can't test it as I am one of those who only uses 64-bit stuff. So, does this plugin offer something that no 64-bit plugin offers? Does it sound better? Does it have unique features?
You know, Fluffy, we could ask the same question for almost 90% of the plugin production regardless their compilation in 32 or 64 bit. So in fact it is a false question in this current context of the thread.

And it is not specific to the plugins. Why would I buy this tableware rather than keeping on using only the one I already have ? Simply because there something in this tableware under my eyes that I like while 99% or the other customers of this shop pass by without seeing it. And why would I use this ballpoint pen instead of that one or the other ones while they all offer exactly the same service? Etc.

The response ? It is obvious : the personal tastes, simply.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:You know, Fluffy, we could ask the same question for almost 90% of the plugin production regardless their compilation in 32 or 64 bit. So in fact it is a false question in this current context of the thread.
Well, the situation is not symmetrical.
When people are already on a 64-bit system, which is kind of the standard by now, they don't have to use a bridge or switch to another DAW just in order to be able to use just another 64-bit plugin. I don't need a super 64-bit plugin to justify using a 64-bit system.

chk071 wrote:
Schiffbauer wrote:Hi L-Day - you´re welcome....

You are one of those lovely developers of the past, I´ve been missing these days. Years ago,
every week, a new vst synth or effect saw the light of day and I had a smile on my face.
Sadly these days are gone - all that "small developers", that shared their synths and fx,
vanished in the haze, cos those 64-bit standard seems to baffle all the people.
And what are modern standards?????

A 64-bit vst doesn´t sound even better than a 32-bit plugin. There is not a difference....
not a bit. And with the 64-bit synthedit you can´t use all those 3rd party modules.
So, in any case it´s more rudimentary, but all the people are completely cock-a-hoop,
when there´s a new 64-bit plugin posting. In most cases, it exists somewhere in a
32-bit version, with a different GUI, name and lightly different structure.

And sadly this forum and the people gets so fluffy and full of ignorance. I´ve been
missing the spirit of those older days - with more empathism too. So many trolls and
insults, assumptions like in this case. People are talking about things, they don´t have
any clue and so precocious. So, some month ago, someone here wrote, with his 64-bit DAW,
his plug-ins sounds even better, than before in 32-bit....hääää???

For me, I rebuilt my system again with WIN XP in 32-bit and with those spare parts, I will
use it for the next 10-15 years....for me there´s no need for 64-bit. Can someone of you
64-Bit users can tell me one reason for using it, other than the use of bigger sample-libraries
than 4GB?????
So, I´ve made the experience, my system is sometimes faster than a 64-bit PC and I can
drive far more tracks in my projects.....and obviously - it sounds exactly the same.... -
and I can use all those 32-bit plugs without any bridge.
Not sure what kind of a reply you expect on your religious chant.
I expect nothing - it´s just a statement....

In a few words:
People gets bashed, totally ignored or earning words of hate, if they comes out with a
new (32-bit) plug-in. But why? This is my question and a fact, of watching and following
many discussions in the forum.
But this is a music-forum....these are musical instruments or effects as software -
many people can have a use for (with or without a bridge), if synthedit or flowstone etc.
and they are truly not bad at all.

I know many developer, who left and don´t enjoy KVR anymore - cos of those user-politics.

So no developer should apologize for making a 32-bit plugin, but 64-bit users should - for
can´t using them.

Schiffbauer wrote: In a few words:
People gets bashed, totally ignored or earning words of hate, if they comes out with a
new (32-bit) plug-in. But why?
I don't know about the "hate" part, but, it might be because most people actually are on 64-bit nowadays… and that DAW's less and less even come in 32-bit versions, and with the ability to bridge plugins.

Try to understand, Fluffy, that the personal tastes are things which don't need any discussion.

Why for some persons would it be required to criticize the choices of others?

When someone doesn't want any more to use 32-bit plugins, it is his own choice, and it is respectable.

When someone wants to keep on using 32-bit plugins (no matter whether he uses also 64-bit plugins or not) it is there too his own choice, and it is respectable as well.

The fact that some developers and some users keep on enjoying the 32-bit plugins doesn't alter in anyway the life of those who have chosen to upgrade to 64-bit only. So why all these sterile discussions which produce absolutely no progression in the daily life and in the enjoyment of everyone in his own studio of home-studio or bedroom ?

The world is made for everybody. There are even throughout the world many people in many countries (even in our occident) who still play music only with acoustic instruments and don't care (or even can't afford) the electric instruments.

So why spend so much time to discuss and throw qualitative appreciations on what enjoy other people? It is their life, chosen or endured, that's all. But it is their life.

Well, it is an important aspect for software developers. They have to observe the market and go with the flow if their work is not supposed to be pretty much in vain.
The extinction of the dinosaurs was not a matter of mere personal taste, either :hihi:

Nor am I wasting my time on such discussions, you and Schiffbauer for instance write much longer posts on this 32 vs 64-bit topic than I do, just scroll up :wink:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:Jeez, the guy gives something away for free and gets shat on...
I know right?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

WOK wrote:I had a quick try of the plugin (because the Poly-800 was my first polyphonic - or better say paraphonic - synth).
Paraphony is done in the plugin. The writing 16/8/4/2 for the OCS footages is wrong (2 should be the highest).
In the Poly-800, filter envelope could be inverted. Maybe the EG knob could be changed going from center to right and left (+/-) for this .
The delay is always stereo ping-pong - maybe a small button to the right could switch to "normal" delay?
Maybe the pitch Wheel should be 2 semitones only (not octaves), just because it's more common.
The mod wheel does nothing, the P800 hat a joystick controlling LFO to pitch resp. filter.
LFO to pitch is difficult to fine adjust in the lower range. Tip: send the knob output to the VOL IN of a VCA which is set to EXP CURVE, the input of the VCA fixed to 10 and use the result as the output value of the knob in the circuit to control the amount of modulation.

And another small hint from me: the OSCs are 100% exactly in tune, but even the DCOs of the P800 (and also the digital OSCs of the DW8000) wheren't (can be heart when repeatingly pressing some octaved keys). To emulate the "analogue" behaviour of 8 very lightly different detuned OSC's use a random voltage (noise) with a sample-and-hold (triggered by the gate of the MIDI out module) and add a very small amount of this to the OSC CV-in (should be barely audible when playing octaves).
Good points here @Wok.

The synth looks interesting, and I'll try it out tonight. As a Poly-800 owner, I'd like to point out a couple of things:

- The joystick could control modulation for the VCF or DCO. (I don't know how you'd accomplish this in S.E. though, since I'm not a designer.)

- The Poly didn't have a high-pass filter on the output (I assume that's what the "HP" stands for, though I don't know).

- The Poly had three levels of "detune" between the DCOs: 0 (which was "OFF"), 1 (barely noticeable), 2 (my favorite) and 3 (too out-of-tune to be useful, really :wink:)

- The original Poly-800 didn't have a delay; that was included in the Poly-800 II.

These are not criticisms of the synth here. I'm just pointing these out because the developer expressed an interest in creating "a very Poly-800 inspired VST Instrument, [which] will bring the Poly 800 sound...". I think it's cool someone finally did something like this for the Poly.

For anyone not familiar with the Poly's sound, here's a cool example of it in action, created by our friend Espen Kraft: https://youtu.be/cOlCvcd3Kr4.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

A nice video, it shows the sound character. I like the subtle pad and brass sounds, the bass, too.
While it looked more like a toy, it seemed to have covered all usual synth sounds back then :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:A nice video, it shows the sound character. I like the subtle pad and brass sounds, the bass, too.
While it looked more like a toy, it seemed to have covered all usual synth sounds back then :)
Yeah, it wasn't too bad for an entry-level synth. And the hardware version is still inspiring mods that can do a lot more than what the designers originally intended (including self-styled "Moog Slayer" features :roll:).

If you're interested in capturing "that '80s sound" in your compositions, check out some of Espen's other videos. He does a pretty good job of capturing the sound and the structure of '80s tunes.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Instruments”