What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
7604 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:39 am

Is it possible I am the only one that never gives up of a sampler in my sonic palette? I think that a synth/sampler like HALion or Falcon, or even Kontakt (not so much a synth, but still a powerful sampler) is a must for anyone.

So, I would include something like HALion or Falcon, which complements well any sonic palette.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
17025 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 am

I guess it really depends on the kind of music you're making. I simply have no use for a sampler. If then, rather a sample manipulating tool, like granular. Or a drum sampler. But, sure, Halion, Falcon and Kontakt are great tools.

Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.

User avatar
discoDSP
KVRAF
3644 posts since 18 Jul, 2002

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 am

I think you're highly covered using our bundle.

https://www.discodsp.com/bundle/
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
7604 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 am
I guess it really depends on the kind of music you're making. I simply have no use for a sampler. If then, rather a sample manipulating tool, like granular. Or a drum sampler. But, sure, Halion, Falcon and Kontakt are great tools.

Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.
I'm just saying that nothing offers a range of sounds as wide as a sampler :shrug: Especially the AM, because they offer much more than just sampling, including the granular synthesis you mentioned.
chk071 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 am
Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.
So, you have some use for a sampler, after all :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

chk071
KVRAF
17025 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 am

Right. :) Somehow wasn't conscious about how many libs I actually have...

AcrossTheSky
KVRist
48 posts since 3 Jul, 2016

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 am

just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
How do you find the Complete Bundle usefull? Cheers.

BERFAB
KVRAF
6014 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 am

Wopelka wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm
Synthmaster is an excellent choice, versatile, with a hughe library.
Agree 100% with this. Synthmaster has an interesting business model. They practically give away the actual synth and instead charge for their various packages of presets. There's not much that this thing can't sound like. It's my go-to for a very convincing Hammond B-3 emulation, but it covers the whole range with great leads, pads, basses, etc. I believe I saw somewhere that it's on sale right now as well.

Reaktor also offers some great bang for the buck. The included library, plus the users' library, offers almost unlimited possibilities with hundreds of pre-made synths and rhythm machines to get you started. A bit pricier up front, but for what you get, a bargain. [BTW, for not much more, you can probably get one of the KOMPLETE packages. That would keep you very busy for awhile.]

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB
KVRAF
6014 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 am

AcrossTheSky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 am
just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
How do you find the Complete Bundle usefull? Cheers.
I bought into FL years ago and at some point got the big package during an upgrade sale. Great value there. The instruments are very good. I find it fascinating that every time I dig around in Sytrus, I can't believe how great it still sounds. That thing has been around forever, and the patches still hold up in a mix. Perhaps the most used for me, however, is Morphine. I've created a couple of track presets with it for electric and acoustic bass that I wind up using on most of my tracks.

Lifetime upgrades are pretty cool. I don't use the actual DAW because I'm a Cubase fan, but new FX and instruments get released with FLS all the time. However, independent instruments that get released outside of FLS from time to time are not included in your lifetime upgrades. This has not been a problem for me as the included stuff already gives me more than I need.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

User avatar
Vertion
KVRist
425 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 am

PolyGAS

SoundPorn
KVRist
52 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 am

Synthmaster is the best all around synth imo.
I would get Synthmaster but also if you're looking for just a versatile sound instrument then I would suggest a rompler like xpand2. Or a hybrid like Syntronik. I love the sound of Syntronik especially for analog sound it's samples and a synth engine.

User avatar
rod_zero
KVRAF
2880 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 am

There are two parts on this: synthesis technology and the particular character of the synth.

If I had to pick synths just for synth technology:

Reaktor with its modules and ensembles can do almost anything: subtractive (and has great filters for with monark), physical modeling (Prism), additive (razor), modular which uses complex oscillators and crazy modulation (blocks), sampling and granular (scanner xt).

Or falcon, which lacks true modular aproach but has FM, VA, sampling, granular and physical modeling.

I would avoid getting two subtractive synths even if one is analog modeling and the other not because ultimately the sounds will be in the same territory, better get one good and versatile subtractive/VA synth (serum, massive, rapid).
dedication to flying

mtelesha
KVRer
27 posts since 21 May, 2018

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

I can't afford many Synths myself either.

I suggest the following and bought at this price when on sale: Synthmaster $69, Zebra 2 $80, Biotek 2 $50, Waves' Codex $29, and Dexed Free (DX 7 compatible).

They are all "cheaper" except Zebra 2 (I got it as a resell). The big issue is they all have fairly steep learning curves and infinite possibilities. I kind of wish I learned on a simpler Synth first.

For Presets Zebra 2 wins and then Dexed is a close second.

For building from scratch I like Synthmaster (I watched YouTube videos and then maybe put in 40 hours into learning it the first few months). I feel fairly capable of getting almost any sound out of it.

For tweaking presets I really like Biotek 2 (I got it included with Waveform 9 DAW purchase for $125). Biotek 2 tweaking is a ton of fun and the pads are the most interesting I have ever made.

BennyLucassi
KVRer
26 posts since 25 May, 2016

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Well you said VST and not synth so Kontakt and Nexus2 have the widest ranges of sounds imo, have all types of world instruments, weird fx, vox, etc

AcrossTheSky
KVRist
48 posts since 3 Jul, 2016

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:09 am

BERFAB wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 am
AcrossTheSky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 am
just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
How do you find the Complete Bundle usefull? Cheers.
I bought into FL years ago and at some point got the big package during an upgrade sale. Great value there. The instruments are very good. I find it fascinating that every time I dig around in Sytrus, I can't believe how great it still sounds. That thing has been around forever, and the patches still hold up in a mix. Perhaps the most used for me, however, is Morphine. I've created a couple of track presets with it for electric and acoustic bass that I wind up using on most of my tracks.

Lifetime upgrades are pretty cool. I don't use the actual DAW because I'm a Cubase fan, but new FX and instruments get released with FLS all the time. However, independent instruments that get released outside of FLS from time to time are not included in your lifetime upgrades. This has not been a problem for me as the included stuff already gives me more than I need.

Cheers
-B
well...waiting for a little sale on the ALLPLUGINSBUNDLE and I'll get it..
...waiting for Absolute 4 now ...I'd love to see a nice update there...

User avatar
Ranoka
KVRist
97 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from UK

Re: What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 am

Image-Line only seem to only do sales for end of year, and it's been single plugins only last couple years (might've been 40% off?) - not for the upgrades or FL. They also do 30% off for your birthday via email code last couple years - although not sure if you can use that on everything or not. Seems fair considering the lifetime upgrades, I checked and I bought mine back in 2005 :D (I didn't get far making music though, only picked it up again last year or so).

Return to “Instruments”