What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible I am the only one that never gives up of a sampler in my sonic palette? I think that a synth/sampler like HALion or Falcon, or even Kontakt (not so much a synth, but still a powerful sampler) is a must for anyone.

So, I would include something like HALion or Falcon, which complements well any sonic palette.
Fernando (FMR)

I guess it really depends on the kind of music you're making. I simply have no use for a sampler. If then, rather a sample manipulating tool, like granular. Or a drum sampler. But, sure, Halion, Falcon and Kontakt are great tools.

Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.

I think you're highly covered using our bundle.

https://www.discodsp.com/bundle/

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am I guess it really depends on the kind of music you're making. I simply have no use for a sampler. If then, rather a sample manipulating tool, like granular. Or a drum sampler. But, sure, Halion, Falcon and Kontakt are great tools.

Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.
I'm just saying that nothing offers a range of sounds as wide as a sampler :shrug: Especially the AM, because they offer much more than just sampling, including the granular synthesis you mentioned.
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am Oh, using Kontakt Player, of course, for the libraries i have, like, The Grandeur, Arcane, Olympus Elements, and a few others.
So, you have some use for a sampler, after all :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Right. :) Somehow wasn't conscious about how many libs I actually have...

just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
How do you find the Complete Bundle usefull? Cheers.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Wopelka wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 am Synthmaster is an excellent choice, versatile, with a hughe library.
Agree 100% with this. Synthmaster has an interesting business model. They practically give away the actual synth and instead charge for their various packages of presets. There's not much that this thing can't sound like. It's my go-to for a very convincing Hammond B-3 emulation, but it covers the whole range with great leads, pads, basses, etc. I believe I saw somewhere that it's on sale right now as well.

Reaktor also offers some great bang for the buck. The included library, plus the users' library, offers almost unlimited possibilities with hundreds of pre-made synths and rhythm machines to get you started. A bit pricier up front, but for what you get, a bargain. [BTW, for not much more, you can probably get one of the KOMPLETE packages. That would keep you very busy for awhile.]

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

AcrossTheSky wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
I bought into FL years ago and at some point got the big package during an upgrade sale. Great value there. The instruments are very good. I find it fascinating that every time I dig around in Sytrus, I can't believe how great it still sounds. That thing has been around forever, and the patches still hold up in a mix. Perhaps the most used for me, however, is Morphine. I've created a couple of track presets with it for electric and acoustic bass that I wind up using on most of my tracks.

Lifetime upgrades are pretty cool. I don't use the actual DAW because I'm a Cubase fan, but new FX and instruments get released with FLS all the time. However, independent instruments that get released outside of FLS from time to time are not included in your lifetime upgrades. This has not been a problem for me as the included stuff already gives me more than I need.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

PolyGAS
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Synthmaster is the best all around synth imo.
I would get Synthmaster but also if you're looking for just a versatile sound instrument then I would suggest a rompler like xpand2. Or a hybrid like Syntronik. I love the sound of Syntronik especially for analog sound it's samples and a synth engine.

There are two parts on this: synthesis technology and the particular character of the synth.

If I had to pick synths just for synth technology:

Reaktor with its modules and ensembles can do almost anything: subtractive (and has great filters for with monark), physical modeling (Prism), additive (razor), modular which uses complex oscillators and crazy modulation (blocks), sampling and granular (scanner xt).

Or falcon, which lacks true modular aproach but has FM, VA, sampling, granular and physical modeling.

I would avoid getting two subtractive synths even if one is analog modeling and the other not because ultimately the sounds will be in the same territory, better get one good and versatile subtractive/VA synth (serum, massive, rapid).
dedication to flying

I can't afford many Synths myself either.

I suggest the following and bought at this price when on sale: Synthmaster $69, Zebra 2 $80, Biotek 2 $50, Waves' Codex $29, and Dexed Free (DX 7 compatible).

They are all "cheaper" except Zebra 2 (I got it as a resell). The big issue is they all have fairly steep learning curves and infinite possibilities. I kind of wish I learned on a simpler Synth first.

For Presets Zebra 2 wins and then Dexed is a close second.

For building from scratch I like Synthmaster (I watched YouTube videos and then maybe put in 40 hours into learning it the first few months). I feel fairly capable of getting almost any sound out of it.

For tweaking presets I really like Biotek 2 (I got it included with Waveform 9 DAW purchase for $125). Biotek 2 tweaking is a ton of fun and the pads are the most interesting I have ever made.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Well you said VST and not synth so Kontakt and Nexus2 have the widest ranges of sounds imo, have all types of world instruments, weird fx, vox, etc

BERFAB wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm
AcrossTheSky wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm just wondering - Anyone uses FL Complete Bundle-All Plugins ? I'd like to upgrade to All Plugins Bundle from Signature ( is there ever a sale on that?) do the lifetime updates cover buying single FL plugins?
I bought into FL years ago and at some point got the big package during an upgrade sale. Great value there. The instruments are very good. I find it fascinating that every time I dig around in Sytrus, I can't believe how great it still sounds. That thing has been around forever, and the patches still hold up in a mix. Perhaps the most used for me, however, is Morphine. I've created a couple of track presets with it for electric and acoustic bass that I wind up using on most of my tracks.

Lifetime upgrades are pretty cool. I don't use the actual DAW because I'm a Cubase fan, but new FX and instruments get released with FLS all the time. However, independent instruments that get released outside of FLS from time to time are not included in your lifetime upgrades. This has not been a problem for me as the included stuff already gives me more than I need.

Cheers
-B
well...waiting for a little sale on the ALLPLUGINSBUNDLE and I'll get it..
...waiting for Absolute 4 now ...I'd love to see a nice update there...
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Image-Line only seem to only do sales for end of year, and it's been single plugins only last couple years (might've been 40% off?) - not for the upgrades or FL. They also do 30% off for your birthday via email code last couple years - although not sure if you can use that on everything or not. Seems fair considering the lifetime upgrades, I checked and I bought mine back in 2005 :D (I didn't get far making music though, only picked it up again last year or so).

Return to “Instruments”