What VST family offers the widest range of sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

effalump wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 am
discoDSP wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am I think you're highly covered using our bundle.

https://www.discodsp.com/bundle/
OK - I downloaded the demo's, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to like your installers:
'Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting.
Running this app might put your PC at risk.'

:scared:
Bliss is on sale at
https://audioplugin.deals
For $48

With it you can easily create multisamples of any other VSTi

You can ignore those Windows warnings
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Does OP not demo synths before purchasing them?

you want a synth that makes all the sounds on a shoestring budget?
use a soundfont synth and a general midi soundfont :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

If it the 80s sound you're after have you saw/tried Phonec? I just found out about it thru computer music mag and it's incredible.
https://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

effalump wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:54 pm
effalump wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 am ...I've just ordered D16 Group's LuSH-101 as it's just $39 (£30) at JRR Shop - it has many very usable and tangible presets and reminds me of the 1980s when I used to own and play synths like this. :tu:
The best LuSH-101 presets turned out to be a CPU killer - I don't think it was ever designed to have that many layers. Doh! LuSH-101 uninstalled. :smack:
Got Synthmaster on sale too - got bored of that as well. Synthmaster uninstalled. :smack:
I'm so hard to please.
;)
Handling 7 layer patches like a champ here, did you turn multicore on?

W23 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 pm ...I don’t know if Studio One has a sampler but, that would be something to look at as well...
Thanks - good idea! :tu:
Yes, Studio One does have Sample One and Impact, but I'm trying not to use native VST instruments just in case I want to move to another DAW in the future (or even use the mixer of another DAW). My current situation is that I've got old 32 bit stuff in Cubase and new 64 bit stuff in Studio One. I'm also looking for some FX plugins for the same reason. It's a shame when DAW makers try to keep you loyal by tempting you with 'free' native instruments - I guess it's a commercial thing - but still it stinks to me - oh well. :shrug:

ScottZ wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 pm
effalump wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 am ...I've just ordered D16 Group's LuSH-101 as it's just $39 (£30) at JRR Shop - it has many very usable and tangible presets and reminds me of the 1980s when I used to own and play synths like this. :tu:
The best LuSH-101 presets turned out to be a CPU killer - I don't think it was ever designed to have that many layers. Doh! LuSH-101 uninstalled. :smack:
Got Synthmaster on sale too - got bored of that as well. Synthmaster uninstalled. :smack:
I'm so hard to please.
;)
Ahh - no I didn't, thanks. I've just re-installed it, changed options to multicore and created 8 tracks of LuSH-101 - but there's no real difference in CPU usage - still hitting 50% on Intel i7-8700, which is way above what Tone2 VSTs use for much more complex sounds.
https://helpdesk.d16.pl/knowledge_base/article/23

That's because LuSH-101 is circuit modelled, just like ACE, Diva, The Legend, Monark.
<List your stupid gear here>

effalump wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm
ScottZ wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 pm
I'm so hard to please.
;)
Ahh - no I didn't, thanks. I've just re-installed it, changed options to multicore and created 8 tracks of LuSH-101 - but there's no real difference in CPU usage - still hitting 50% on Intel i7-8700, which is way above what Tone2 VSTs use for much more complex sounds.
https://helpdesk.d16.pl/knowledge_base/article/23
Change Realtime Quality to Normal and you should be fine
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The synths that came with Logic 8/9 were the most complete and varied 'set' of instruments I always thought. Still nothing that compares with Sculpture.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

On W10, today , 3 synths :
I would buy :
Rapid by Parawave,
Cypher2 by Fxpansion,
Alpha forever modular.
Best
YY

I have all the Tone2 stuff and would not do without any of it (except the effects I don't really use). But if you don't have Zebra I would grab that, it's amazing.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

discoDSP wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm
effalump wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 am
discoDSP wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am I think you're highly covered using our bundle.

https://www.discodsp.com/bundle/
OK - I downloaded the demo's, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to like your installers:
'Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting.
Running this app might put your PC at risk.'

:scared:
I think I need to purchase a CodeSign certificate to get rid of that.
I've found this message comes up pretty often with products from smaller VST companies, it usually seems to be that there hasn't been a sufficient amount of users to verify that the program is safe by the looks of it.

ATS wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 pm I have all the Tone2 stuff and would not do without any of it (except the effects I don't really use). But if you don't have Zebra I would grab that, it's amazing.
I did try out the demo of Zebra - and I do like it, but it's rather expensive... so I will keep an eye on the upcoming Black Friday / Xmas sales.

shonky wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 am I've found this message comes up pretty often with products from smaller VST companies, it usually seems to be that there hasn't been a sufficient amount of users to verify that the program is safe by the looks of it.
Yes, and getting a code sign certificate with instant reputation costs around $300/year which makes it harder for very small companies. I'm in the process of getting a non-EV but the bureaucracy for that is absurdly difficult and expensive too :?

Return to “Instruments”