Will Dune 3 be finally released or will I have to torture puppies ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

If they're patch compatible, then the difference between Dune 2 and Dune 3 can't be as significant as the difference between Dune and Dune 2 which are not compatible at all.

Anybody knows what's the dune2 -> dune2 upgrade price?

e@rs wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:39 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:46 pm I'm a cat person anyway, so, just go ahead. :hihi:
+1. :)
Yes, me too : that's how you know the puppies are not safe with me. :hihi:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm If they're patch compatible, then the difference between Dune 2 and Dune 3 can't be as significant as the difference between Dune and Dune 2 which are not compatible at all.

why? you can keep the D2 frame, then build loads on top, so D2 patches still load.

D2 was completely rewritten, thats why you cant load D1 presets (tho you can copy them 1:1 if you can be bothered)

D3 is made compatible with D2 because of the large amount of presets available, apparently

personally i dont see why it matters, if you want to use your D2 presets, run D2.

0degree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm Anybody knows what's the dune2 -> dune2 upgrade price?

nope

AnX wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:25 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm If they're patch compatible, then the difference between Dune 2 and Dune 3 can't be as significant as the difference between Dune and Dune 2 which are not compatible at all.

why? you can keep the D2 frame, then build loads on top, so D2 patches still load.

D2 was completely rewritten, thats why you cant load D1 presets (tho you can copy them 1:1 if you can be bothered)

D3 is made compatible with D2 because of the large amount of presets available, apparently

personally i dont see why it matters, if you want to use your D2 presets, run D2.
My point is, the differences between D2 and D3 as far as sound, would need to be significant for me to upgrade. As D2 patches are compatible, the difference in sound can't be that significant or else D2 patches would sound completely different.

In short, trying to determine if it's even worth considering upgrading as I don't have money to throw away on small improvements.

AnX wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm
0degree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm Anybody knows what's the dune2 -> dune2 upgrade price?

nope
It's more like a sidegrade and hence free :hihi:

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:28 pm As D2 patches are compatible, the difference in sound can't be that significant or else D2 patches would sound completely different.
wrong

as i said, D2 is still in there, so the presets load fine and sound the same, they used this stuff called 'code' to add the extra stuff in a way that it doesnt affect legacy presets, kinda like magic really....

I assume the incompatibility between versions comes from major changes to the structure, not from adding new features to the existing structure. So when you load old patches, the new features might simply be disabled or use a neutral value by default.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm I assume the incompatibility between versions comes from major changes to the structure, not from adding new features to the existing structure. So when you load old patches, the new features might simply be disabled or use a neutral value by default.

its only D1 that was affected. D3 loads D2 patches 100% identical

Teksonik wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 pm
sinemotor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:03 pm Is there a Master Tune knob ?
This is with Dune 2, Constant to Global Semi or Fine:
Yep, it's how I do it but you can admit it's not the most convenient thing ever, especially when you're in a situation where you're looking for the right sound and you browse presets. You want to hear presets in the context of your track.

At least, a "lock parameter" feature would be a very good addition.

AnX wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:35 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:28 pm As D2 patches are compatible, the difference in sound can't be that significant or else D2 patches would sound completely different.
wrong

as i said, D2 is still in there, so the presets load fine and sound the same, they used this stuff called 'code' to add the extra stuff in a way that it doesnt affect legacy presets, kinda like magic really....
Okay, try to follow this. I know it's hard but try. So if the legacy presets aren't affected, that means that the basic sound engine (you know, how the synth in general sounds) can't be too different, if at all. So all they can do is add additional functionality to the synth, like maybe more LFOs or filters or envelopes. Maybe add a built in wavetable editor. And so on. But the synth itself is going to basically sound the same as D2.

So my incentive to upgrade is going to depend on how much the additional functionality increases my ability to make sounds that were no way possible with D2.

Case in point. Omnisphere 2 was NOT a significant change (IMO) to justify spending the money they were asking for the upgrade. I only got it because I qualified for the free upgrade because of when I bought Omnisphere. Otherwise, I'd still be using Omnisphere 1.

Dune 3 would have to be amazingly special for me to upgrade.

I don't see how it can be if D2 patches will sound exactly the same unless they add a crap ton of stuff to D3.

And it would have to be a crap ton for me to upgrade, especially with all the great synths I already own.

Let me give you a perfect example of what I'm talking about as far as structure.

The FM in D2 is poor. I'm sorry but it's ridiculously limited. It's certainly no DX7.

If patches are going to remain compatible with D2, then the FM structure can't change. There is no way. If you change the algo's, any D2 patch that uses FM will no longer sound the same. Hell, some may not even work at all as far as generating sound.

That was one of my major complaints about D2, the poor FM implementation.

Okay, so that can't change. The FX can't change. You can maybe add additional ones but the ones that are already there have to remain as they are or, again, the sound of the patch will change.

Point is, there are going to be things about D3 that you simply can't touch in order for things to remain compatible with D2. It can't be like it was going from D1 to D2, which are two completely different synths. The change can simply not be that radical.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 pm Okay, try to follow this. I know it's hard but try. So if the legacy presets aren't affected, that means that the basic sound engine (you know, how the synth in general sounds) can't be too different, if at all. So all they can do is add additional functionality to the synth, like maybe more LFOs or filters or envelopes. Maybe add a built in wavetable editor. And so on. But the synth itself is going to basically sound the same as D2.
Correct. Where would the magic change of sound come from otherwise anyway.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:48 pm The FM in D2 is poor.
Frankly it's the best sounding part of Dune2. I'd hate it if it changed.

I think Dune3 will have two filters per layer (serial/parallel), new filters in addition to the existing ones, a wavetable editor and (probably) some new effects. I'm not in the beta team so I may be wrong, this is what was posted in various D3 threads.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”