Will Dune 3 be finally released or will I have to torture puppies ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

It depends, If they add, like in diva for example or in a modular, new kind of filters, env, oscillator and let the d2 modules, it can be a new synth.
Idk, I'm not a beta tester...
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:58 pm It depends, If they add, like in diva for example or in a modular, new kind of filters, env, oscillator and let the d2 modules, it can be a new synth.
Idk, I'm not a beta tester...
Except the sound engine would still be the same.

Let me put it this way. Have you ever listened to Dune 2 vs Spire? The two synths sound nothing alike. I can tell Dune 2 from Spire in seconds. The sound engines are completely different.

This simply cannot be the case with Dune 3 or Dune 2 patches will sound completely different.

This shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

Ever heard of switches and modules? Take Hive for example with its switchable engines.

Just stop.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 pm So if the legacy presets aren't affected, that means that the basic sound engine (you know, how the synth in general sounds) can't be too different, if at all.
That is not necessarily true from a programming point of view.
For example there could be a mechanism that can make the distinction between old presets and new presets and treat them differently. One single tag in a D3 preset would suffice to recognise it as a D3 preset. Then you could say: D2 preset > use D2 code. D3 preset > use D3 code.

It all depends. Thing is we don't know until D3 is released.

terminus_one wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:20 pm Ever heard of switches and modules? Take Hive for example with its switchable engines.

Just stop.
Hive is the only synth I know which allows that. But, OK, I'll take your word on it. ;)

terminus_one wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:20 pm Ever heard of switches and modules? Take Hive for example with its switchable engines.

Just stop.
You're making a lot of assumptions here. How many synths, aside from Hive, have siwtchable engines?

Possible? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Again, as I said, the added functionality will determine whether or not I upgrade. For me to do so, it would have to be extremely significant. In short, it would have to sound like a completely different synth as I don't need a bigger feature Dune 2. I'm happy with the features and the sound just as it is.

Element 2 has two engines.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Just stop.

Hive is the only synth I know which allows that. But, OK, I'll take your word on it. ;)
For the record, I have no idea what Dune 3 has/does. I'm just disputing the ridiculous claim that Dune 3 possibly cannot sound different/better to v2, just because it supports v2 presets.

Presets are just an encoding of data, that get interpreted by software. This data can be extended in a backwards compatible way to provide significantly more features and capabilities. How is it that software like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Excel can load older files whilst still providing significant new capabilities on top?

Well, you can't compare that to an audio plugin, which has got to have 2 DSP engines under the hood then. Possible, but I find it pretty unlikely. More likely is that it has the same engine as Dune 2, but sports other waveforms and filters. And maybe other filter drive modes. Which of course results in a slightly different sound, it will still be the same engine, though.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Just stop.
You're making a lot of assumptions here. How many synths, aside from Hive, have siwtchable engines?

Possible? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Again, as I said, the added functionality will determine whether or not I upgrade. For me to do so, it would have to be extremely significant. In short, it would have to sound like a completely different synth as I don't need a bigger feature Dune 2. I'm happy with the features and the sound just as it is.
Seems to me like you're the one making assumptions, whereas I'm disputing your claims with potential and viable options (switchable engines, new modules, new parameters, etc.)

As for what it will take for you to upgrade - that's your personal decision. But it in no way backs your quite strongly stated and ridiculous claims.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:38 pm Well, you can't compare to an audio plugin, which had got to have 2 DSP engines under the hood then. Possible, but I find it pretty unlikely. More likely is that it had the same Engine as Dune 2, but sports other waveforms and filters. And maybe other filter drive modes. Which of course terms in a slightly different sound, it will still be a different engine, though.
Switchable engines are just one way that I was pointing out. What about new modules? Or new parameters? Or new algorithms? Or new modulations? Do they not allow you to extend the sound engine to produce different sounds that v2 may not be capable of doing (or it being much harder in v2).

Anyway, no point be labouring this subject :)

terminus_one wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Just stop.

For the record, I have no idea what Dune 3 has/does. I'm just disputing the ridiculous claim that Dune 3 possibly cannot sound different/better to v2, just because it supports v2 presets.

Presets are just an encoding of data, that get interpreted by software. This data can be extended in a backwards compatible way to provide significantly more features and capabilities. How is it that software like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Excel can load older files whilst still providing significant new capabilities on top?
You're comparing apples to oranges so I'm not going to continue this ridiculous debate any longer.

When D3 comes out, I will look at the additional functionality and then decide if I feel the upgrade price is worth it.

And no, I'm not going to pay to upgrade for...

Additional filters
Additional LFOs
Additional Envelopes
Additional FX
Wavetable Editor
MPE compatibility (don't even use it)

None of that interests me.

D3 would have to totally blow me away.

Given that I've bought one synth this whole year, that is unlikely.

And before you call me a Dune 2 or Synapse hater, my 5 favorite synths in order.

Dune 2
Omnisphere 2
Zebra 2
Legend
Softube Modular

2 of my top 5 from Synapse.

But with 100 synths, nothing impresses me anymore enough to go out and buy it. I can make just about any sound imaginable with what I have now, including Reaktor 6, which just misses my top 5 with all that IT can do which is mind boggling.

Dune 3 will have to be truly, truly special.

I'm not holding my breath.

Wags, I'm absolutely sure you'll buy Dune 3 shortly after it's released.

Just because when you have 5 synths it's may be actually hard to justify the purchase of a 6th one, but when you have 100 of them you don't even notice when it becomes 101 ;)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

terminus_one wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:38 pm Well, you can't compare to an audio plugin, which had got to have 2 DSP engines under the hood then. Possible, but I find it pretty unlikely. More likely is that it had the same Engine as Dune 2, but sports other waveforms and filters. And maybe other filter drive modes. Which of course terms in a slightly different sound, it will still be a different engine, though.
Switchable engines are just one way that I was pointing out. What about new modules? Or new parameters? Or new algorithms? Or new modulations? Do they not allow you to extend the sound engine to produce different sounds that v2 may not be capable of doing (or it being much harder in v2).
Of course. Even though new algorithms would probably result in a different sound.

You're right, let's wait and see. :)

Sorry but i don't get that discussion. It is version 3 of a synth so why should it sound and/or behave totally different than the previous versions?
Even if you keep it compatible with v2 you can still add several new features and/or improve existing features that overall make it more powerful and versatile than the previous versions.

Besides that if you get new/additional filters those can change the basic sound of the synth quite much also depending on how you use them.
A dedicated wavetable editor can change a lot too concerning the "basic sound" as you get access to an almost unlimited amount of different waveshapes.

DUNE 2 now is around 4 and a half years old and you could not expect to get new features added forever. At a certain point it seems to be time for a new major version.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”