Will Dune 3 be finally released or will I have to torture puppies ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

jsp1979 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 pm
0degree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm Anybody knows what's the dune2 -> dune2 upgrade price?
Why would you upgrade from Dune 2 to Dune 2?

:wink: :D
:dog: :dog:

Doesn’t matter - upgrade is upgrade :D

The wavetable editor alone would be worth the upgrade price. It is a pain converting those waves manually.

And I also hope there will be new additions in the filter section.

I hope we can save Mod Envelopes. it's a pain redoing those all of the time
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

izonin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 pm The wavetable editor alone would be worth the upgrade price. It is a pain converting those waves manually.

And I also hope there will be new additions in the filter section.
That is true. The wavetable implementation as it is now is less than ideal. I just don't know if this would be enough to get me to upgrade. I mean I've lived with Dune 2 for so long as it is.

interesting debate. you make a good point that i have been thinking about wags. it's my understanding that dune 3 is dune 2 with extras... like twice as big. this is not fact, but it's what i'm gathering. i will check it out when it comes out, but the edm guys were pushing hard for another vengeance kind of thing. if true i will be quite happy with version 2, i am making no assumptions yet tho. as far as the wave table and fm implentation in 2. i think you are wrong about that because i was wrong about that too. because you can modulate like, 8 different engines by each other... you can easily make a 10-16 operator patch. the edm kids taught me that.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 am interesting debate. you make a good point that i have been thinking about wags. it's my understanding that dune 3 is dune 2 with extras... like twice as big. this is not fact, but it's what i'm gathering. i will check it out when it comes out, but the edm guys were pushing hard for another vengeance kind of thing. if true i will be quite happy with version 2, i am making no assumptions yet tho. as far as the wave table and fm implentation in 2. i think you are wrong about that because i was wrong about that too. because you can modulate like, 8 different engines by each other... you can easily make a 10-16 operator patch. the edm kids taught me that.
I get that, but it's such a PITA. It's not as easy as with something like a DX7 where everything is just there in front of you. D2 FM is just too complicated for me to get into advanced modulations.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 am I get that, but it's such a PITA. It's not as easy as with something like a DX7 where everything is just there in front of you. D2 FM is just too complicated for me to get into advanced modulations.
getting used to the the way it's laid out and labeled gives a lot of folks problems. it's really a multi patch, he just called each timbre a "voice". the most confusing part is the soloing of each patch. he should have just made it one row of engines that changed colors from blue to green to red depending on what you are doing because that solo row of engines really throws folks.

Torture them all you want but it won’t make a difference for we all know the spice extends life.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

we really need a like button.

This is a very silly argument in this topic. Dune 1 and Dune 2 are different synths with a different sound, which is why they are not patch compatible and why Dune 1 is still available to purchase as a product today.

From what we know Dune 3 appears to be a continuation of Dune 2 with new and expanded features. In the same way the Virus expanded from the A, B, C, TI1 and then the TI2.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

"Will Dune 3 be finally released or will I have to torture puppies ?"

I just don't see this as an either / or scenario

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 am because you can modulate like, 8 different engines by each other... you can easily make a 10-16 operator patch. the edm kids taught me that.
the layers are independent and cannot interact with each other.

think of it as 8 synths under one roof with global fx

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 am the edm guys were pushing hard for another vengeance kind of thing.
Where exactly? AFAIC, the layer architecture will remain exactly the same as in Dune 2 anyway?

If (when) I upgrade to v3, will I still be able to use v2 as well? I suspect that v3 will be more (even more) CPU intensive so I'd prefer to have an option to use the previous version in case I don't need new features.

The only VST I upgraded to next version was iZotope's Neutron 1 -> 2 and I "have" and can install both, but I don't know if it's a standard?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 am The only VST I upgraded to next version was iZotope's Neutron 1 -> 2 and I "have" and can install both, but I don't know if it's a standard?
usually, vendors give different ID's to new versions of their synths, especially when there are differences, actly to allow users to keep the old version, for reasons of compatibility with projects where they were used. Richard did this with DUNE 1 to DUNE 2.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”