Why are Scalable/Resizable GUIs not standard?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dandezebra wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 am Air and Sugar-Bytes really need this...
So do Gforce

Teksonik wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm , the skeumorphic are the photorealistic type. people like the look and feel of skeumorphic traditionally, but if you want to make it in multiple sizes you have to have multiple sets of images all scaled up and it becomes bloatware pretty fast
Aren't the IK Multimedia TRacks 5 plugins an exception to this ? I can't check on this system but I'd swear I was able to drag them out to most any size. Could they possibly have enough multiple images to cover every possible size ?

They are about as skeumorphic as it gets. I love them and make them silly huge on my screen just because I can. I grew up using hardware so looking at a near scale size hardware style GUI feels like home to me.

Obviously it would be great if every plugin could be sized to exactly what we want but developers have to get paid so I suppose if they don't feel the income generated would be worth the hours programming then they might not be motivated (I have absolutely no idea how long it would take to convert a plugin to a new framework with a new GUI but it feels like it would be no easy task).

well, first, I would consider Ik very good, high quality, and something worth owning, but I would also call it bloated. I like the FXpansion stuff, and they use a very light software manager, so It starts to get complicated at this point, because ... for instance, I like matrix (vectoring) guis for EQ's, but I like skeu for instruments. I like an instrument to look and feel real, but I like my dynamics to be light and fit and pretty ... so, it gets complicated.

We weren't discussing anything but Resizable GUIs. Quality, bloat or software managers aren't what I was addressing. You said:
Dasheesh wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm people like the look and feel of skeumorphic traditionally, but if you want to make it in multiple sizes you have to have multiple sets of images all scaled up
I simply pointed out that the TRacks 5 plugins can be resized to just about any size you want all the way up to huge so I wondered how they could have "multiple sets of images all scaled up". There must be something else going on.

So I think that skeumorphic GUIs and the ability to fully resize are not mutually exclusive. The TRacks plugins being an example. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: I simply pointed out that the TRacks 5 plugins can be resized to just about any size you want all the way up to huge so I wondered how they could have "multiple sets of images all scaled up". There must be something else going on.
Maybe they are doing it the way Urs Heckmann (or his GFX guy) is doing it, i.e. using one high-res set of images and scaling everything DOWN for smaller sizes. In combination with realtime-generated labels for some (or even all) of the controls and sections this works rather well since removing pixels (i.e. image shrinking) almost always looks better than adding pixels which werent originally there.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 pm Still waiting for Korg to update theirs but to be fair they are only a small indie developer.
:lol:

ENV1 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm
Teksonik wrote: I simply pointed out that the TRacks 5 plugins can be resized to just about any size you want all the way up to huge so I wondered how they could have "multiple sets of images all scaled up". There must be something else going on.
Maybe they are doing it the way Urs Heckmann (or his GFX guy) is doing it, i.e. using one high-res set of images and scaling everything DOWN for smaller sizes. In combination with realtime-generated labels for some (or even all) of the controls and sections this works rather well since removing pixels (i.e. image shrinking) almost always looks better than adding pixels which werent originally there.
I have no idea what wizardry is going on but that would make sense. Make everything as large as possible then scale down.

Oh well whatever is going on at least it's proof to me that it's possible to have skeumorphic, photo realistic GUIs that are fully resizable so let's have them for every plugin..... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”