FAST midi file/loop auditioner

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

I have 4 gazillion midi loops I have to audition and classify, so speed is essential.

I can audition midi in my DAW (Studio One 4 Pro), but that is quite slow because I have to select the correct instrument every time.

I have a standalone midi player called Van Basco, which is fast, but which has the problem that many of the loops are not in standard GM/GS format, so I get drums playing as pianos etc.

I need a light and fast GM/GS compatible player that gives me the ability to change the instrument/channel if I have to - and that also doesn't sound abysmal.

The essence is the speed of the process

Thanks ahead to anyone who has a solution for this.

Regards

Adrian (England)

Ugh i have the same issue and searched for similar product, of which non fully meet needs, the closest i have is midiplayerX on OS X

Sureno, the difficulty of finding such a relatively simple thing is amazing me.

My analysis is that when midi first started there were lots of utilities like this made by enthusiasts. Then years passed and 64-bit computers came into play. People who had made those utilities did not think it was worth making 64 bit versions because they were seeing DAWs with amazing capabilities and thought their little utility was no longer needed. But it was...and it is...(groan).

Let's hope someone here knows something we don't.

Adrian

Possibly Toontrack's EZplayer Pro, but it hasn't been updated in a while, and the interface is small.

https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezplayer-pro/

Hi Telecharge,

Does EZ Player audition all files or is it just drums? I can't work it out from the blurb...

You can audition all files. See: https://www.toontrack.com/faq/so-what-i ... o-exactly/

"...must be used in conjunction with a software or hardware drum sampler (or any other non percussive sound source if you so desire)."

If i understood you right, what you want is something that plays MIDI files and also has the instruments integrated?

If so you can try YAMAHAs MidRadio Player.

It plays several formats including MIDI, which will be played back via a built-in S-YXG50.

MIDI files can be loaded via simple drag and drop.

Note regarding versions: There are some more recent versions available but they are usually in Japanese and only come with an LE version of the S-YXG50. This LE version sounds pretty crap compared with the full version thats bundled with the older MidRadio Player that can be found here, so thats the one you want to grab if you want nice audio quality too. (Its a day and night difference between the two.)

That's funny you should ask because I just discovered a way for me to do it in S1. You may be able to replicate it using a similar setup. You know for the most part it's just a matter of what the root note is for any midi file.
I just use a vst like Maschine that allows me to set the root note of the midi input, so I'm able to now quickly audition all of my files. If your drum midi is mixed in with instrument files you can add instrument tracks and new midi channels to switch between them.
So you might be able to do the same with a multi-Timbral plugin like VIP, but Maschine basically allows me to prepare any midi file to use in a different vst where I wouldn't be able to directly import the midi because of the starting note.
Edit: corrected to root note instead of start.

for windows, media player classic
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Guys, I had a reply from Topcheese that I followed up on, but now his post and my reply have gone from this thread. I don't understand. Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks Ahead Adrian

ENV1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm If i understood you right, what you want is something that plays MIDI files and also has the instruments integrated?

If so you can try YAMAHAs MidRadio Player.

It plays several formats including MIDI, which will be played back via a built-in S-YXG50.

MIDI files can be loaded via simple drag and drop.

Note regarding versions: There are some more recent versions available but they are usually in Japanese and only come with an LE version of the S-YXG50. This LE version sounds pretty crap compared with the full version thats bundled with the older MidRadio Player that can be found here, so thats the one you want to grab if you want nice audio quality too. (Its a day and night difference between the two.)
Thanks for this. This *is* a good little midi player. Very light and sounds good. But I still have the problem that I need to be able to change the instruments of a lot of my files because they are not in proper midi format.

I am half way through making a different solution. When I finally get it to work - if I ever do get it to work! - I will post it here.

amutimer,

Not sure if you're still looking for this but I had the exact same problem.

The best solution I found was to use something called "PSR MidiPlayer". This should playback midi files correctly but it also allows for voice editing (though I've never needed to use this).

Hello,

I am looking for a solution in Logic Pro or Reason. The plugin should be compatible with Apple M1. A midi plugin or similar.

It is important that you can zap quickly and easily (within a folder) from midifile to midifile.

Thx
English is not my native language ...

Return to “Instruments”