Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

AnX wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 am you can easily change the red to any colour you wish in the config. ini file (RGB) :wink:
This is clearly an overstatement. Where the f... is that "config.ini" (in Windows)?

"Easily" would be from the Control Panel.
Fernando (FMR)

in the dune 3 skins folder, obviously

in my case my docs/synapse audio/dune3 /skins

why would it be from the control panel?

Is there any news on whats in the "more" part of the upgrade to 2.0? (As seen in the op)

AnX wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm in the dune 3 skins folder, obviously

in my case my docs/synapse audio/dune3 /skins

why would it be from the control panel?
OK, got it. Far from easy, but I managed to change the color. Thanks :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

mrj1nx wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm Is there any news on whats in the "more" part of the upgrade to 2.0? (As seen in the op)
I believe Urs said there's going to be a row of new modulation options, inspired by West Coast synthesis. What those are, or what they'll look like, I have no idea but it sounds like we'll find out at Superbooth next month.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm
mrj1nx wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm Is there any news on whats in the "more" part of the upgrade to 2.0? (As seen in the op)
I believe Urs said there's going to be a row of new modulation options, inspired by West Coast synthesis. What those are, or what they'll look like, I have no idea but it sounds like we'll find out at Superbooth next month.
So West Coast, does that imply that it's going to get a little bit more of a Bazille flavour?
I wonder if it could mean more Serum flavour, such as ASDR/LFO curve editing & mapping. (Maybe something along the line of what's already in Zebra and Bazille)

mrj1nx wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm
So West Coast, does that imply that it's going to get a little bit more of a Bazille flavour?
I wonder if it could mean more Serum flavour, such as ASDR/LFO curve editing & mapping. (Maybe something along the line of what's already in Zebra and Bazille)
We'll have to wait and see, but I got the impression from various comments that we'll get some new modulation options to introduce some additional randomness and movement while still trying to keep things relatively user-friendly. I'm very curious myself.

Here's the latest iteration after feature freeze. This is the section right below the Hexagon and the envelope/LFOs:
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 19.48.15.png
I'm currently working on a quick video to prepare the sound designers. Here's the intro text:

INTRODUCTION

In this video I will introduce some of Hive’s new features to you.

Please note that the user interface is still work in progress. While the features are pretty final, the looks and layout may vary quite a bit in the final version.

OVERVIEW MODS

The first an most obvious addition to Hive is the section below the envelopes and LFOs. These are new modulation sources which complement the existing set nicely. They are inspired by our adventures in modular synthesis.

We have two buchla-style function generators, one to the left and one to the right. Although they only have 5 parameters, these can act as envelopes, LFOs, lag generators and much more. They can do suprisingly complex modulations and they help to make sound expressive in ways traditional modulations can not.

In the center we have something called a Shape Sequencer. It can work in similar ways as complex envelopes, rhythm generators or pattern gates. While it looks like a baby version of what you may know from other synthesizers, this Shape Sequencer can do a lot more than first meets the eye - without the tediousness typically involved with complex modulators.

I’ll go in depth with these two modulation sources in a bit. Let’s just mention that Function Generators are great for rhythmic input. They can make complex rhythms more complex in various predictable ways. They can also transform a modulation into something else. The Shape Sequencer is a perfect companion because it can create a wide range of complex, evolving modulations and rhythmic patterns. These two offer great means of gamification of synthesis, ordered chaos and virtuosity - while at the same time being absolutely simple to handle.

OVERVIEW Mod Assignment

Next up we have added drag’n’drop modulation assignment directly from the modulation sources onto the target parameters. Doing so automatically creates an entry in the ModMatrix. Most matrix depths can also be edited right next to their main control. Just select any Modulation source and edit the target parameters assigned to it.

OVERVIEW INSIGHTS

We added an Insights module to Hive’s Hexagon which works almost exactly like the oscilloscopes you know from some of our other synths. Only, you can drag up to 4 modulations sources onto it to visualize what’s going on with them. This is particularly useful for the Function Generators and the Shape Sequencer as we’ll see shortly!

ADDITIONAL MENTIONS MOD MATRIX & QUANTIZER

In further news, we added Sample & Hold to the ModMatrix, where any slot can be sampled by the zero crossings of any modulation source - I’ll add that, apart from the LFOs obviously, the Shape Sequencer and the Function Generators are particularly well suited for this kind of task!

We also added more quantisation options to the Matrix which are great for pitch parameters such as oscillator tune and filter cutoff. You’ll find scales and chords in there. Hive now does a lot of those chiptune arpeggios quite easily!

We also added a scale-based quanitiser to Hive’s keyboard control. You can define the notes that Hive can play, and all other notes are rounded towards the selected ones. This is great to keep the sequencer or arpeggiator within the harmonic scale of your track.

As a special modulation target, we added a “hidden” diatonic transpose parameter to the oscillators. This lets one modulate the oscillator through the quantisation of the keyboard. So you can take, say, an LFO and the modulate the oscillator pitch in steps which are always in the scale selected on the keyboard. These even respect the pitches set in the microtuning tables. This opens up Hive for algorithmic composition!

That’s it with the quick overview. Let’s now dive deeper into the new possibilities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Why would you do this to us?! Also thanks for doing this to us :party:
Always Read the Manual!

:love: :party: :tu:

That stuff is too cool! I have no idea what I'd do with any of it. :lol:

I love it!

holy cow. speechless.

This will be 20 euros well spent.

Looks like modulation is more complex then lets say Serum's (wich is i dont know if bad or good, but sure does sounds like with some bells and whistles not just drag n drop and increase depth). Curious about how this will turn out :-)

Return to “Instruments”