Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 pm Sorry I haven't followed the Hive/Hive 2 progress. Can wavetables be created/edited in Hive? Or just imported?
Well, with the Uhm scripts, you can create wavetables in Hive...

But the usual sort of wavetable creation, no... just imported (works fine from both Serum and Icarus)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 pm Sorry I haven't followed the Hive/Hive 2 progress. Can wavetables be created/edited in Hive? Or just imported?
Hive uses .Uhm scripts (U-he Math) for the wavetables, it is also compatible with Serum style wavetables.
More info on .Uhm on this post: viewtopic.php?p=7365413#p7365413
I don't think there is any plans for Hive to have a wavetable editor.

Besides, other synths like Dune3 added a wavetable editor due to popular demand, but in reality it seems most people haven't been using it. I guess it's one of those features that people like to have but don't actually use a lot?

I think a lot of sound designers already have Serum and use that to create new wavetables.
I heard Icarus is great for resynthesis as well!

There are also some free wavetable editors:
http://synthtech.com/waveedit
https://www.facebook.com/Audioterm

Wavetable creation seems rather pointless (to me). Most of the time I just end up with similar sounding wavetables because I don't know what I'm doing. I prefer when the plugin includes a bunch a useful wavetables made by experts and then I do the rest with the plugin.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm Wavetable creation seems rather pointless (to me). Most of the time I just end up with similar sounding wavetables because I don't know what I'm doing. I prefer when the plugin includes a bunch a useful wavetables made by experts and then I do the rest with the plugin.
That's exactly my feeling. A thorough wavetable design tool would certainly make Hive a very complicated and unaccessible softsynth. I don't want to go there.

Ranoka wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm
Besides, other synths like Dune3 added a wavetable editor due to popular demand, but in reality it seems most people haven't been using it.
i tend to agree, but i dont have any evidence of that. Do you?

Yorrrrrr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm Wavetable creation seems rather pointless (to me). Most of the time I just end up with similar sounding wavetables because I don't know what I'm doing. I prefer when the plugin includes a bunch a useful wavetables made by experts and then I do the rest with the plugin.
Creating wavetables by drawing waveforms does seem like an exercise in futility (except very basic stuff which is usually covered by factory wavetables)... but creating wavetables by resynthesis yields consistently useful results for me. Not that I am advocating that Hive should do that. I already have tools that can and I can import them into Hive. So I'm good to go :)

AnX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 pm
Ranoka wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm
Besides, other synths like Dune3 added a wavetable editor due to popular demand, but in reality it seems most people haven't been using it.
i tend to agree, but i dont have any evidence of that. Do you?
Or maybe they're so busy using the Wavetable Editor they don't have time to talk about it on the forums ? :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What could maybe work for a wavetable generator/editor: Have an algorithmic wavetable generator like used for .UHM, but have it visually with building blocks and a timetable. Like have a visual block of sine wave and a block of square. Place them in a timetable and morph between them (similar to video editors where you can morph between clips). Have e.g. everything processed by a distortion block that e.g. gets faded in at the end of the wavetable. Export the result as wavetable or .uhm.

I think this would create 1000% more interesting results.

Could be even a separate product which .uhm and audio wavetable export. I'm sure many people would buy it.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Creating wavetables by drawing waveforms does seem like an exercise in futility (except very basic stuff which is usually covered by factory wavetables)... but creating wavetables by resynthesis yields consistently useful results for me. Not that I am advocating that Hive should do that. I already have tools that can and I can import them into Hive. So I'm good to go :)
I like playing with the FFT bins and creating wavetables that way. It's kind of a blend between additive and wavetable synthesis. Also, when I resynthesize a sound, I like looking at the FFT bins to learn more about the sound and how it could be recreated from scratch (in practice I end up with a similar, but different sound, but that's OK, because my goal is exploration and not necessarily hyper realism).

mdstudio wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm I like playing with the FFT bins and creating wavetables that way. It's kind of a blend between additive and wavetable synthesis. Also, when I resynthesize a sound, I like looking at the FFT bins to learn more about the sound and how it could be recreated from scratch (in practice I end up with a similar, but different sound, but that's OK, because my goal is exploration and not necessarily hyper realism).
How do you look at the FFT bins ?

carrieres wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm How do you look at the FFT bins ?
I do it in Serum or Icarus (in my experience Icarus does a better job at resynthesis). When you resynthesize a sound, it creates a wavetable. Then you can go ahead and edit the wavetable and click on the arrow button in Serum, or Spectrum I think it's called in Icarus.

Urs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 amHehehe, you'll see... they can be 1 to 8 segments each, not just cascades of two.
I was just going by what's in the video. Personally, I'm not interested either way. I already have several synths with similar features and I don't feel that Hive 1.2 is lacking anything so it is highly unlikely I'll be upgrading. Adding more krap, which in turn makes it harder to use, does not make it better. Sure, it makes more money for the developer, I get that, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest. That's why I still use Adobe CS6, 3DS Max 2009 and Orion - they do more than I need and they still work reliably. I have all the latest versions of everything at work and, honestly, it's a relief to get home and use the older versions that are so much easier to work with, so much faster and at least as reliable.
Unlike MSEGs you can modulate pretty much anything in the Shape Sequencer.
I think DUNE's mod matrix allows you to modulate anything with MSEGs. I wouldn't know for sure, I don't like programming DUNE, but it seems likely.
It's something you have to experience rather than premediate. Less planning, more fun.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Trying to replicate vibrant Shape Sequences from Hive 2.0 presets in those elaborate MSEGs will ultimately lead to desperation.
Conversely, which is the point I was trying to make, there will be things that another synth's MSEG can do more easily than your Shape Sequencer, I'm sure, just as there will be other implementations, e.g. Cyclop, that will do things that yours might struggle with. Ultimately that's why we don't all find our one favourite synth and use it for everything (as tempting as that might sometimes be with Thorn).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have to agree, Hive 1.2 may be a keeper for those who prefer its basics (we'll soon find out. Hahah)

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 am I have to agree, Hive 1.2 may be a keeper for those who prefer its basics (we'll soon find out. Hahah)
I think the ease of use of 2.0 will win people over, even the ones who don't feel the need for additional LFO's or Envelopes.

In 2.0 you can make sounds without even having to touch the mod matrix. You can drag-n-drop from source (all the sources are now visible) to target and adjust the depth right on the parameter. Version 2 is faster and easier to use. Select a source and see its targets.

Hive 2 is not suddenly complex. It is still all right there on the main page and easier to use than in 1.2

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:17 amAdding more krap, which in turn makes it harder to use, does not make it better.
That is often the case... With Hive 2 however, there are some significant workflow improvements. For example, all sources are visible and you can drag-n-drop from any source to any target and then adjust the mod depth right there on the parameter knob. If you select a source, such as velocity or an LFO etc, it now shows all the mod targets on the main page and you can adjust their mod depths.

With 2.0 one can make sounds without even having to look at the mod matrix.

Return to “Instruments”