DS Audio joins Plugin Alliance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sacer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm
If they want to force us to pay - we should all together do nothing, if no existing user jumps over, than it's a very good start for both companies and all existing user say f**k YOU PA - first give us a update which is $19 + VAT worth
+5
Make it clear that we won't support these tactics.

sacer wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm waht happens if we don't pay $19 - is there any chance to update again, or will be the update only be more expensive like $49 or do we have to pay the full price.

If they want to force us to pay - we should all together do nothing, if no existing user jumps over, than it's a very good start for both companies and all existing user say f**k YOU PA - first give us a update which is $19 + VAT worth

I am getting soundsets for this money, which are bether than THORN
Mhm. Then don't pay it. Simple. No need to go Klu Klux Klan over it.

But after March 5 existing Thorn V1 customers must pay full (again), right?

Ok bought this from plugin boutique, not received transfer coupon, anyone else?

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm But after March 5 existing Thorn V1 customers must pay full (again), right?
I guess so, to get future updates. If you still have the installers, and the latest version, i don't see a reason why not to go on using the plugins. I will surely think about upgrading to Plugin Alliance's deal as well. I don't know Plugin Alliance, and, i'm not sure what i get when i upgrade either. Actually, the only thing which would tempt me is that i can upgrade to Diversion 2 at some point. I will wait and see how this is going before i make a decision. That's reasonable in my eyes, not to make such a damn fuss about it. Jeez.

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm But after March 5 existing Thorn V1 customers must pay full (again), right?
Don't see a reason. Like wagtunes said (analogous): "I'm happy with v1.1. Thanks."

A smarter approach might have been to transfer every Thorn owner to PA and give all who switch to PA a free plugin of their choice. Actual costs would be low, but you'd end up with an expanded group of happy customers, rather than what they have now. I am not convinced that the actual cost of this "port" is $19US per Thorn license and licenses holder should bear that cost. but, there it is. par for the course really. Many of these plugin companies are just fronts for making cash off a passionate customer base. There are some really great ones that find that balance between business and customer. And there are those that are more of a cash grab and dont really care about pissed off customers. they know we'll still buy. we'll buy and grumble. :dog:
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 pm
I guess so, to get future updates. If you still have the installers, and the latest version, i don't see a reason why not to go on using the plugins. I will surely think about upgrading to Plugin Alliance's deal as well. I don't know Plugin Alliance, and, i'm not sure what i get when i upgrade either. Actually, the only thing which would tempt me is that i can upgrade to Diversion 2 at some point. I will wait and see how this is going before i make a decision. That's reasonable in my eyes, not to make such a damn fuss about it. Jeez.
Yeah This^^^^
I got the PA email, not impressed but hey, Dimitri must have thought about this and made a business decision (which he has every right to do).
I always keep the installers and went to the site to see if there was a more recent version than my 1.05.. downloaded 1.10.
Then I had a look here... OMG, the vitriol and angst was .. hmmm, I thought I was back in kindergarden.. oh well.
I doubt I will take the PA "upgrade" offer... but my version of Thorn will work and still keep me amused for a long time )))
As to the passing of data to PA.. seems the logical thing when you collaborate with another, it's not like certain social media companies exploiting your innermost secrets...
Oh the drama of KvRers... well adds something to the day.. made my laugh :wink:

Faith in humanity - restored. :D

:tu:
chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm Faith in humanity - restored. :D

im outraged!

Guys Dimitry' reply makes much more sense.. just got this reply from him via email.... I know this was not handled well in terms of communication but I am still willing to support Dimitry. ...

"Hello Winston, I'm sorry for the late reply and lack of the information,

Today is not an easy day for me, it was a significant delay before we release news at Plugin Alliance and provide information from my side. I now have joined with Plugin Alliance, which I strongly believe will help me a lot to keep alive on the current market and improve quality of services needed to be provided today for companies who sell audio plugins. But the major downside of this process is that we have to charge $19 for transition from previous version of Thorn to the 1.2 at PA. I have never thought before that I can ever ask extra charge for updates, but now it is reality. We're trying to compensate the transition fee by including 3 sound banks free of charge to Thorn's factory library. Here you could check as well the list of changes made for Thorn 1.2:

⁃ Thorn is distributed by Plugin Alliance now
⁃ Integrated Plugin Alliance framework with toolbar and authorization scheme
⁃ Thorn Essentials, HouseMaster One and Thorn Expansion 2 by Rob Lee are in the factory library now, free of charge
⁃ Modulation depth can be modulated now without issues
⁃ MIDI CC is working now when ARP is turned on
⁃ Thorn now returns text values to be displayed in automation lanes for AAX / VST3 / AU
⁃ Removed Optimize Polyphony option, will be returned later
⁃ Fixed automation smoothing issue
⁃ Fixed a crash when opening AAX page-table
⁃ Fixed minor preset loading issues on Windows

That's the list of regular changes for any minor update, and for sure not enough for any fees. The upgrade cost is mostly the price for getting Plugin Alliance services.
I have made a tough choice to join Plugin Alliance, I have been thinking on it for a long time. I really hope to not loose people who trusted me, since I'm doing all of this for the future sake.

Let me know please Winston if you have any question or any thought to share,
Dmitry"

So there you have it.. warts and all.. but I will rather give him support in light of how tough it must be for him and for him to survive in this game...

elassi wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 pm
Don't see a reason. Like wagtunes said (analogous): "I'm happy with v1.1. Thanks."
There's this too. Tactics aside this is a nice piece of software. Happy with 1.1 too.
Up yours PA.

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 pmim outraged!
:hyper:
that's what we like...
outrageous_vurt :party:

Stefken wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 pm Up yours PA.
Your decision (and opinion).

Out of pure interest (and because i sort of know the answer already): How big of a business do you think Plugin Alliance is?

Return to “Instruments”