One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Doc I have some numbers, but first it looks that wav is different version of track. Mp3 version you uploaded on SC and stream SC version have boosted lows 250HZ and bellow that creates full more massive sound. Also there is removed everything starting 16kHZ and above except cymbals. So the wav version the high sound better more airy because there is no cut in 16kHZ but it lack that nice lows you have on SC. So you should combine those two. :oops: No tonal difference between your downlodable mp3 and stream version from SC.

Looks like SC also changes loudness a little.
Your MP3 version uploaded na SC:
Max momentary loudness -3,7 LUFS
Max short term loudness -5,4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -7,1 LUFS
Loudness range 2,7 LU
True peak L +0,00db
True peak R +0.01db / 1 clipped sample
DC offset L -0.018%
DC offset R -0.019%

Stream version from SC:
Max momentary loudness -4,1 LUFS
Max short term loudness -5,8 LUFS
Integrated loudness -7,5 LUFS
Loudness range 2,7 LU
True peak L +0,21db / 152 clipped sample
True peak R +0.24db / 232 clipped sample
DC offset L -0.018%
DC offset R -0.017%
Now this one have lowered loudness but look at true peak and clipped samples.

wav version from dropbox:
Max momentary loudness -3,5 LUFS
Max short term loudness -5,5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -7,3 LUFS
Loudness range 2,7 LU
True peak L -0,22db
True peak R -0.25db
DC offset L -0.012%
DC offset R -0.013%

Out of curiosity I tested my track how much soundcloud change it:
Uploaded wav:
Integrated loudness -14,9 LUFS
Max momentary loudness -9,9 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -13,2 LUFS
Loudnes range 4,6 LU
True peak L -0.92db
True peak R -1.09db
DC offset L +0,005%
DC offset R +0,005%

Stream version from SC:
Integrated loudness -15,3 LUFS
Max momentary loudness -10,3 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -13,6 LUFS
Loudnes range 4,7 LU
True peak L -1.00db
True peak R -1.07db
DC offset L +0,004%
DC offset R +0,002%

So this means dont upload too loud track and watch for true peak or you will get more clipping and also more "broken" sound.

Interesting …

My bad, here the right track https://www.dropbox.com/s/4scxxkceggu3i ... r.wav?dl=1

I had one track LindyHop and another LindyHopper!

dB

Voted!

There are some realy good new participants. :tu:
Had to give a lot of 4s this month. The average level was quite high.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

doctorbob wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm My bad, here the right track https://www.dropbox.com/s/4scxxkceggu3i ... r.wav?dl=1
I had one track LindyHop and another LindyHopper!
dB
Now this one loudest one but no clipping:
Max momentary loudness -3,7 LUFS
Max short term loudness -5,3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -7,0 LUFS
Loudness range 2,7 LU
True peak L -0,23db
True peak R -0.25db
DC offset L -0.018%
DC offset R -0.020%
The air in high is here. Since you boost lows and not remove highs this is reason that it is louder. I tried to lover/balance the mids form low mids range about 400hz up to high mid 6kHZ (mostly reduced freq around 2kHZ) and it reveals nice stage. Problem here is crash cymbal that have piercing sound.

Thanks for this … I'll look to re-contour my mid and hi-mids next round. The piercing cymbals is probably my old ears - I'll take more notice of the spectral displays and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your work.

dB

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:49 pm
functionform wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 pm Voted. What a brutal round. I wish there was a 3.5 and 4.5. I'm a little surprised and disappointed to not see an entry from Peter H. Would've liked to observe him in his natural habitat :)
He he he, nice that somebody missing Peter:H
Terrifying! thanks for posting it. Great texture on it regardless.

@DoctorBob
I recently found out that my hearing is heavily impaired. I can hear high freq only up to 12 Khz or so. Combined with mixing session fatigue it get's even worse. Then I did like A/B. I've asked myself - I can see this thingies wiggling in the Analyzer, but what when I apply a lowpass on them ... do I hear a difference? I found out no, these are just nice visual thingies... So I think I have to begin to cut stuff away that I don' t clearly hear. It prevents me from overemphasizing high frequencies up until they get piercing for others. Fit's to some of the feeback I got from time to time...

@ ] Peter:H [ Yup, I'm sure this is my problem too. Will have to pay attention to the analyser! And mix my highs with a bit more reference to it! I did notice this as shown in those analyser pics. The crashes added lots of energy into the high freqs, I could hear the crashes, but I guess from what people say, they were boosted too much. I sort of need to know now what a decent high freq curve should look like compared to the high freq curve I get when I mix for my 70 year old ears!!

Or … maybe I should just not use crashes anymore … problem solved! Well, not quite, all freqs interact to colour the mix (as we all know or should know!).

But, YOU do like your bass and sub! I generally like the mid range stuff and am OK at mixing that.

dB

Eauson wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 am... I know I'm not cool, I'm a low ranking contributor to the challenge, that's why I tend to stay stum...
Wrong! I enjoy your contributions quite a bit, and I've also been happy to see them getting better and better! Don't take rankings to mean a thing. And I didn't have time to read the previous stuff going on, but everyone should clearly a) follow the rules, and b) be kind to each other!

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this …….
dB

Voting complete.

There were so many good tracks this month. Recognizing brilliance without punishing excellence was a real challenge, and I'm not completely sure I succeeded.

z.prime wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Eauson wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 am... I know I'm not cool, I'm a low ranking contributor to the challenge, that's why I tend to stay stum...
Wrong! I enjoy your contributions quite a bit, and I've also been happy to see them getting better and better! Don't take rankings to mean a thing. And I didn't have time to read the previous stuff going on, but everyone should clearly a) follow the rules, and b) be kind to each other!
:tu:
And your stuff is cool, Eauson! I love it! :hug:

Cheers, Björn

Hey many thanks Z,Doc,Björn

Sometimes you just feel like your handing in coursework and teacher keeps giving you an F :ud:
This could be said about a number of competitors who follow their sound which either got them into music making in the first place or where they are reaching for.
But,
As they say,
slowly, slowly catchy monkey ;)
Imnot complaining about low rankings, its not as if I need more equipment to confuse me and as has.been shown month after month freeware can do a tremendous amount and is constantly evolving.
FB, Modulair,bloo/Airwindows/Voxengo/TAL to name a few are enough to get good music made
Just having a group of fellow musicminds listening and advising is winning,

TBH I'm just glad I found the OsC and a nice bunch of OSC'ers :D :tu: :hug:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

@Eauson - you're welcome. I appreciate your tracks a lot, and as you say, it's a fine community here, and it does help everyone get better (I can vouch for that, even though my musical endeavours are not to everyones' taste, but then, life would be boring if everyone liked everything and didn't have an opinion!)

dB

Voted! And wow what a great turnout, great tunes this month. God luck to all!

Return to “Instruments”