Tone2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in Existence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

AnX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:46 pm
mrdoghead wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:24 pmToo bad for Tone 2 - there are other synthesizers to buy.
No other WT synth does what Icarus does.
sound like plastic?
only in your unskilled hands...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 am
mrdoghead wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:24 pmToo bad for Tone 2 - there are other synthesizers to buy.
sound like plastic?
must be a coincidence they are only 'unskilled' in t2 synths...

AnX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:14 am
sound like plastic?
Or maybe is your for-long-time hate against anything from Tone2 which is clear and demostrated already; Actually those are unique and quite capable synths.

To be fair, Tone 2 synths do have what I call that plastic sound. I happen to love that sound for certain genres. But there's no question it's there. It's what makes Tone 2 synths unique. They stand out in the crowd. And that's hard to do these days.

But I agree with AnX. They have a real shine on the top. I'm still trying to figure out what it is that gives them this very distinct sound.

meh

The thing about "plastic" sound was recognized even for Markus in an interview; something like "polished plastic"

AnX is only wrong when trying to talk about Tone2 in very negative way.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AnX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:14 am
sound like plastic?
a negative attitude can affect you that way :wink:

stop now...saying three words is not an attack...you made it personal and I am not getting on this game again IT ENDS HERE
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:40 pm ...saying three words is not an attack...
Except that it is.

Let me prove that to you:

u-he synths sound like plastic.

It's your turn.

not about u-he stay on topic..only warning
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

perfumer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Hink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:40 pm ...saying three words is not an attack...
Except that it is.

Let me prove that to you:

u-he synths sound like plastic.

It's your turn.
If giving an opinion on the sound of a synth is an attack then we need to close this forum down because then nothing can be said other than "Wow, what a great synth."

If they paid me a million dollars a year, I'd never want to be a moderator in this zoo.

I for one love this synth dearly. It never ceases to be entertaining, mesmerising and downright therapeutic to me. I love to init the whole thing, set up some basic wavetable scanning with a slow LFO, and then generate random wavetables until something clicks. Then it is so easy to evolve that wavetable into a few new generations with all the tools provided. I usually end up with exactly the sounds that I always loved and wanted to make, but in such an intuitive and random way. Somehow it feels like a magical toy to me, and that's worth a lot. I always loved programming synths, but this makes it both so easy and fun to me that it is one of my favourite synths of all time. I tried all the other Tone2 synths and I never got along with them - either I didn't like the sound or the interface. But Icarus hit a homerun on both fronts for me. Simply amazing. I would honestly recommend it to anyone that loves programming synths from scratch. Browsing the presets does not do this thing justice, gotta dive in and tweak the hell out of it to find the heart and soul of this wavetable monster!

The problem here is, that a description of sound is very difficult and personal, that's the way it is. But on the objective side, a lack of microtuning, i.e scala etc. is just a downside. Maybe not many people here care about that, as they don't care about the frequency of their master tuning. Am I representing just a minority, to be indicative that it is a major imperfection not having implemented a good microtuning 2019?
artie fichelle sounds natural

Eclectus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pmI tried all the other Tone2 synths and I never got along with them - either I didn't like the sound or the interface. But Icarus hit a homerun on both fronts for me. Simply amazing. I would honestly recommend it to anyone that loves programming synths from scratch. Browsing the presets does not do this thing justice, gotta dive in and tweak the hell out of it to find the heart and soul of this wavetable monster!
Same for me... I almost liked a number of Tone2 synths... but never enough to buy one. I often didn't quite like the sound. Icarus has a different character for me and a very diverse sonic range. I find Tone2's aesthetic sense awful. Their promo audio demos make me cringe and I don't much like the included presets. But Icarus is a gem and is capable of some gorgeous sounds.

Return to “Instruments”