Tone2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in Existence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

What I was trying to specify is what Icarus is able to do, of course I didn't mention anything about personal experience because I wanted to show the synth as it is, what is capable of, and why is so underrated.

But if you ask me, I love everything about Icarus sound, I like to make pads, plucks, keys and more; It really never disappoint me. Is my favorite synth.

● Is not a CPU killer.

● Is not a RAM exterminator.

● it sits well in the mix always with the ducking for the FX section.

Again, we should try to put things in a objective way, but this is why I like Icarus.
Last edited by JunSev on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chipspeech was on last year too, high up. And the year before. But they don't allow you to just pick any synth. They give you a list and go "Here, pick one of these." If your favorite isn't on the list, oh well, you're screwed.

Totally worthless and pointless list. They should almost be ashamed to post it.

If I had an audience like Music Radar, I'd post a real poll where you have to name your synth on your own. Would be very interesting to see what the top synths would truly be.

JunSev wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:25 am https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/th ... day-621799

So I just saw this article and in this top according to users (that maybe don't know anything about Icarus or what is capable of).

I simply can't comprehend how in a top of 25, Icarus is not there, I mean, it should be at least in between 10 best, most powerful and versatile synth available; at the end what I see is that this result is only bias and because of popularity.

Icarus has multiple synthesis, is not only a wavetable synth, also has additive, sample, FM and way more synthesis than many (if not all) of the competition, huge possibilities with morph modes, perhaps the biggest collection of filters in a synth, and more; This poll is only another prove that no because something is trending means necessarily better/right/good.
:D - and 6 months from now, if the same poll was taken again: you may see a different list -

IME: the best thing to do with a list like that is to explore synths that you may not know much (if anything) about, JunSev. *Don't worry* if your favorite synth (Icarus, in your case) isn't listed - it doesn't matter - because a lot of lists like the one you're referencing are essentially meaningless; other then for informational purposes - like I said: maybe take a first or second look at something that you haven't (Plogue Chipspeech; Vengeance-Sound VPS Avenger, in my case)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 am Chipspeech was on last year too, high up. And the year before. But they don't allow you to just pick any synth. They give you a list and go "Here, pick one of these." If your favorite isn't on the list, oh well, you're screwed.
Yeah... Hah, it still seems surprising that it goes all the way up to position 6, though. Out of a list of all these monsters, I mean. For such a niche product.

And nothing against Chipspeech itself, of course! Seems really very nifty. Just wondering out loud. It probably just has a really strong fan base etc... :)

Guenon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 am Chipspeech was on last year too, high up. And the year before. But they don't allow you to just pick any synth. They give you a list and go "Here, pick one of these." If your favorite isn't on the list, oh well, you're screwed.
Yeah... Hah, it still seems surprising that it goes all the way up to position 6, though. Out of a list of all these monsters, I mean. For such a niche product.

And nothing against Chipspeech itself, of course! Seems really very nifty. Just wondering out loud. It probably just has a really strong fan base etc... :)
Yea that one was a bit Peculiar.
I Also did not know SM had the following it did. I was suprised how well it did. Don't get me wrong Both Synthmaster and its little brother are tremendous Synths but it shocked me that It did better then Serum.

Sidenote Sylenth and Massive, the Ol Classics, are at risk of falling out of the Top 10 Soon.
Times are-a-changin.

Or at least if this poll is to be trusted which...It's probably not :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

If we could get One Ping Only on the list, it would win for sure!
Amiright?
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Examigan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:47 pm Timbre Wolf is the most
underrated. :wink:
For the market price, you maybe right.

Icarus has become my goto wabetable generator/editor, it's quality of resynthesis is outstanding, there are plenty of options to tweak, smoothen and modify the wavetabled results and the exported wavetables can be used in other wavetable synths/players.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 pm My point being is how did such a new synth get so many votes so soon ? Not a very scientific poll to say the least.
It's not a poll at all. It's all a matter of how good the article writers rated the specific synth.
"this round-up is based on your votes: we put together a list of what we consider to be the best VST/AU plugin synths right now, and asked you to choose your favourite".

No different than a Poll here with a predetermined number of possible responses. :shrug:
Oh, you meant CM's poll. Arturia Pigments doesn't even show up there though?

Wait, my bad, it does. But only on rank #15.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pigments and Zone are great new synths with their own unique features and both are easy to program...so many great synths!
Icarus has maybe the best wavetable generator and a pretty unique synth as well, but not as easy on the eye or easy to use as the aforementioned.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I tried Zone and didn't like its sound at all. It is very harsh and clinical, the kind of sound I think of when people say something sounds too "digital".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A lot of people said the same of Serum, I think a lot of wavetable synth can sound harsh/digital but they cut through the mix, and in a world of VA it can be a refreshing change!

Personally I like Zone a lot (although I waited until recently to pick it up now its £89), you can go 'warmer' with simple subtractive waves and the ladder filter, but I have better VAs for 'that' sound, for me its the 32 step sequencer on the controls that make it 'fun' and great for animated pads and 'modular' like sequences. Sure this can be done in a DAW, but Zone makes it really fast and intuitive and I love saving modulation 'sequences' and then using them to different sounds. The provided wavetables are actually pretty good (I think the filters are good as well), but its one page workflow and the sequencer that is the start of the show with Zone. I have VST's that may sound better (Like Icarus!) but I am using Zone as I like to program it!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

As far as wavetable synths go , Icarus has the warmest sound for me. :)

Icarus is my bassline synth. Always. In every single project.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:57 pm Icarus is my bassline synth. Always. In every single project.
It indeed has a very nice low end, it can replicate pretty well the sound of the TB-303 or SH-101, despite of its "digital" fame.

Return to “Instruments”