bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The payment options seemed completely normal.to me I paid by PayPal :) as I do 99% of my audio plugins

Thanks for letting me know anyway :)

The last time I wanted to login at my Paypal account the system demanded security questions verification. Since I lost/forgot those I had to contact customer support which sent me in a loop retuning to those questions everytime. The only way out would be to call the helpdesk but thanks to corona they postponed telephone support for the time being.
Technically it means I cannot regain access to my Paypal-account which is bizar. That's why I want to know some viable alternatives for Paypal.
Plugin Alliance not letting me know doesn't really feed my enthousiasm.

Back to the old adagium: I have more than enough plugins to do what I want to do musically speaking. No need to buy any extra!
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Timfonie wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:26 am I have more than enough plugins to do what I want to do musically speaking. No need to buy any extra!
REPORTED !!!

mholloway wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 am
klinik wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm Some more testing....

There is no way to pan the voices!!??? thats one of the most important parts of the FVS! its in the front pannel!
There’s the spread control, and you can offset the filter too.
The spread knobs are cool, but they aren't a proper stand in for actual Voice Panning. They let you get 'wide' in a unison-style way, but they don't allow the usual alternate-panning / random-panning per-voice that we are used to with Oberheims. Spread makes one key-press emit a 'fat' note, whereas real voice panning makes notes move all over the stereo field as you continually play. So, no, Spread doesn't count in this regard.

As an Oberheim emulation, it should have Voice panning like -- for real -- every single other Oberheim emulation currently on the market, both paid and free. No joke.
I agree that it would be nice to have, but, technically, this is a SEM emulation, and you compare it to synths which model the OB-X or OB-Xa, which is rather apples and oranges. If then, compare it to the Arturia SEM V, which doesn't have per voice panning either.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 am I agree that it would be nice to have, but, technically, this is a SEM emulation, and you compare it to synths which model the OB-X or OB-Xa, which is rather apples and oranges. If then, compare it to the Arturia SEM V, which doesn't have per voice panning either.
Arturia SEM V2 has voice panning available as "VCA pan" at the "8 Voice Programmer" page in the advanced settings panel.
Oher Arturia plugins that allow voice pannning are e.g. OB-Xa V, Matrix-12 V2, CS-80 V3 and Prophet VS.

Other Oberheim emulations like e.g. OBsession, OB-Xd and OP-X Pro II got voice panning too and in Diva you can do it by assigning the "voice map" to the pan mod.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 amI agree that it would be nice to have, but, technically, this is a SEM emulation, and you compare it to synths which model the OB-X or OB-Xa, which is rather apples and oranges. If then, compare it to the Arturia SEM V, which doesn't have per voice panning either.
It sure does. Go into the 8 voice programmer, set VCA pan as the source, and you can pan the voices. :)

BTW Combined with the extensive keyboard follow options, SEM V's got some of the most extensive control over individual voices available. It's a real shame they removed many of these options from OBXA-V. You can have it do crazy stuff like only pan lower notes left, higher notes right, or even pick which notes pan where etc :)

Strange... I took a look at the manual, and, it's not covered there at all, as far as I could see.

TBH, what I rather miss in Oberhausen (none of my other synths has random panning for the voices anyway) is a sample & hold waveform for the LFO's. The original might not have had that, but, it's always great to have.

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 am
klinik wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm Some more testing....

There is no way to pan the voices!!??? thats one of the most important parts of the FVS! its in the front pannel!
There’s the spread control, and you can offset the filter too.
Thanks zerocrossing, but the spread its not panning the voices in the stereo fileld, its a kind of "autopan" wich moves constantly the voices in the panorama. Also the M/S in the filter section is another thing,and need to be carefully adjusted, It makes yo go out of phase easily when conbined with the osc spread... Sure it sound "euphonic" but its a risky tool. Speaking as a mastering engineer for more than a decade, that panorama tools in Oberhausen is a bad idea and also It can´t replace a simple pan position control for each individual voice.

About the Oberheim 8-voice, the same as the FVS (four voice system) both have pan and volume for each voice in the front panel

Timfonie wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:26 amThat's why I want to know some viable alternatives for Paypal.
I mostly use a credit card and I only ever use the credit card to make on line payments. Banks are really good at fraud detection and they'll pay up if there is any fraud they don't block. e.g. My card got compromised at one point and the fraudster bought a song on iTunes for 99c, to see if it would work. When that went through he then tried to buy a MacBook Pro and the bank was onto him. They blocked the transaction, cancelled the card and sent me a new one the next day.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

For $20 this was an absolute no-brainer. Someone posted an 8-voice video on the OBSession thread yesterday and after listening to that I just went and bought this without bothering to demo it first. It sounds absolutely f**king amazing! I couldn't care less how accurate it is as an emulation, I just love how thick and luscious the sound is and how the resonance can rattle the drivers right out of their enclosures. The bottom end is just sublime and when you turn the resonance up it just gets fatter and fatter. This is the perfect synth to show, once and for all, why ladder filters suck.

As my first experience with PA, who seem to get a lot of negative press around here, I have to say I am hugely impressed. The purchase, download, installation and authorisation process couldn't have been more straightforward and the attention to detail in the plugin itself is really impressive. Little things, like being able to automatically preview patches without having to manually change them, makes a very good first impression. The effects are handy and do a decent job, too. All in all, it's a very good package that I'd have been happy with at $100. For $20 it feels almost like stealing. Thanks for sharing the promo code!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:tu:
BONES wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:47 am This is the perfect synth to show, once and for all, why ladder filters suck.
Hehe, it doesn't surprise me that you like this. :) Instead of lowering the amplitude when raising the resonance, it amplifies. :) I must say that I like both though. And, with Oberhausen, I actually have to lower the master volume when cranking up the resonance, so, the issue is sort of turned around, but still an issue...

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 pm bx_oberhausen sounds a lot like an Ob-6 in terms of oscillators and the filter. A little darker. It can be smooth. Like an Ob-6 can be smooth. Check out The Luftrum 22 presets.
I pasted this from the OBsession thread, I hope you don't mind. I was wondering, do you have the OB-6? Would be very interesting how Oberhausen compares.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 pmHehe, it doesn't surprise me that you like this. :) Instead of lowering the amplitude when raising the resonance, it amplifies. :)
Because that's what resonance is supposed to do - emphasise (amplify) the frequencies around the cutoff value.
I must say that I like both though.
So do I, it's just that OBSession doesn't really do anything that I could use it for, whereas pretty much everything bx_oberhausen does is of potential use to me.
And, with Oberhausen, I actually have to lower the master volume when cranking up the resonance, so, the issue is sort of turned around, but still an issue...
You call it an "issue", I call it brutal sonic ecstacy.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:12 am brutal sonic ecstacy.
good name for an album...

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 pm bx_oberhausen sounds a lot like an Ob-6 in terms of oscillators and the filter. A little darker. It can be smooth. Like an Ob-6 can be smooth. Check out The Luftrum 22 presets.
I pasted this from the OBsession thread, I hope you don't mind. I was wondering, do you have the OB-6? Would be very interesting how Oberhausen compares.
I do have an OB-6 desktop. Oberhausen is closer to the OB-6 than Obsession. Both have oscillators that I can match up pretty well with the OB, but oberhausen is the only one of the two that gets closer on the filter and resonance. Oberhausen is darker and less “alive” than the OB - but also has 32 cpu eating voices and more flexible modulation and routing. If you like the OB-6, you’ll like Oberhausen, and vice versa. Oberhausen for cheap is a deal, especially now that some bugs have been fixed.

Return to “Instruments”