XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to see the sequencer expanded upon and round robin ability for the samples selected.

Yes, features of sequencers should be enhanced. Drum computer from Sugarbyte would be a nice inspiration to XLN Audio.

The amount of time between updates is crazy. Seems that's just the way XLN operates.

krismiller1982 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 pm So I'm now into the 16th hour of refreshing the sample database - just over 2.4Tb. I've wasted 2 days of production for the sake of efficiency. Since sample libraries are one of the most dynamic tools we use as producers I am 99.99% certain this program will not have any place in my current workflow. the option to scan selected folders only is a must in order to make it useful...
2.4 terabytes of one-shot samples?! That's probably about 12 billion kick drums?!

H :)

cowby wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm Yes, features of sequencers should be enhanced. Drum computer from Sugarbyte would be a nice inspiration to XLN Audio.
I agree too. XO is really cool and I do like it for it's fantastic interface imho. That said, I like lots of variations to my drum patterns, but for getting grooves going with my own samples, XO rocks. They could take a page from Sugarbytes since that has 16 patterns and the ability to chain those patterns into a song. I also like it's fill/variation options of the sequencer on the bottom right corner with the Remix, Auto 1 and Auto 2. I didn't buy that product because I'm not interested in the drum synthesis aspect of it.

I really think XO has a great interface. It allows me to take my own samples and quickly test grooves with them in my songs. I've never encountered anything that fun to use for drums. It's actually stimulating to use instead of laborious. I love the individual random sound and sequencer features it has for each drum. Much better than Sugarbytes, since you don't have to click which track you want to randomize first. I don't know why Sugarbytes did it that way, but I suppose it was because they didn't have the space on the interface. Each company focused on different things and I prefer XLN Audio's approach to make everything they offer nice and quick to access/use.

stikygum wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:39 pm
cowby wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm Yes, features of sequencers should be enhanced. Drum computer from Sugarbyte would be a nice inspiration to XLN Audio.
I agree too. XO is really cool and I do like it for it's fantastic interface imho. That said, I like lots of variations to my drum patterns, but for getting grooves going with my own samples, XO rocks. They could take a page from Sugarbytes since that has 16 patterns and the ability to chain those patterns into a song. I also like it's fill/variation options of the sequencer on the bottom right corner with the Remix, Auto 1 and Auto 2. I didn't buy that product because I'm not interested in the drum synthesis aspect of it.

I really think XO has a great interface. It allows me to take my own samples and quickly test grooves with them in my songs. I've never encountered anything that fun to use for drums. It's actually stimulating to use instead of laborious. I love the individual random sound and sequencer features it has for each drum. Much better than Sugarbytes, since you don't have to click which track you want to randomize first. I don't know why Sugarbytes did it that way, but I suppose it was because they didn't have the space on the interface. Each company focused on different things and I prefer XLN Audio's approach to make everything they offer nice and quick to access/use.
I only have XO but my friend has both and he told me that Drumcomputer can sequence XO as well!

I’ve been thinking of getting this down the road since I don’t really love Ultrabeat in Logic. Are you able to pitch individual notes inside the plugin or do you have to dial that midi over in via the DAW to achieve this? Not expecting so, but just curious. Looks like a really creative drum tool.

MissOptimyst wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 am I’ve been thinking of getting this down the road since I don’t really love Ultrabeat in Logic. Are you able to pitch individual notes inside the plugin
Yes.

Why not download the demo and see if XO does the things you want?

Rivanni wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:01 am
MissOptimyst wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 am I’ve been thinking of getting this down the road since I don’t really love Ultrabeat in Logic. Are you able to pitch individual notes inside the plugin
Yes.

I probably will. It doesn’t hurt to ask questions though. Especially when you have limited HD space.

cowby wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:59 pm
I only have XO but my friend has both and he told me that Drumcomputer can sequence XO as well!
In what way, is the midi routed from Drum Computer directly into XO? The sequencer seems to do a little more in Drum Computer and could be fun to play with it's different sequencer options to control XO.

Drum Computer could have beat out XO if it allowed sample import and had something like the Space feature in XO. I think trying different drum sounds out with different drum grooves is XO's strength obviously. And Drum Computer might have a better sequencer or at least better sequencer options. I have to play around with XO more to see if I find it's sequencer not enough, but so far I really find it's simplicity great for both coming up with sequences and trying out different samples in the sequences.

I wish XO had the ability to export midi for each part though.

Another thing would be cool if XO had a 'quick slice' function to create new samples on the spot from loops.

Rivanni wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:01 am
Yes.

I have XO and this is not true. You can change the pitch of the sample as a whole but not the individual notes in the sequencer.

JiggSaw wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:27 am You can change the pitch of the sample as a whole but not the individual notes in the sequencer.
Which is pretty normal for a drum sequencer...your choices would be to automate the pitch control in your DAW or export the kit to a different drum sequencer.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:58 am
JiggSaw wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:27 am You can change the pitch of the sample as a whole but not the individual notes in the sequencer.
Which is pretty normal for a drum sequencer...your choices would be to automate the pitch control in your DAW or export the kit to a different drum sequencer.
Yeah I agree. I just didn't want the poster that asked the question to be misled. I use Ableton.. so when I want to do things like that, I'll just throw the sample in simpler/sampler and just use the piano roll.

Does anyone think that XLN Audio is working on an upgrade to XO? I hope they are. I like this software a lot, and enjoy everything it offers. Great features, great simplicity. With that said I think I'm going to try to demo Sugar Bytes DrumComputer to try to sequence XO, sine it's sequencer has the perfect balance of features.

Anyone send emails to XLN Audio for suggestions?

Return to “Instruments”