Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to say, I quite like the look and sound of it. The GUI is definitely a plus for me - those visual displays on the slides are pretty trick. I also don't mind Reaktor, I work in it quite a bit.

Usually the quality of something is inversely proportional to the amount of whinging and complaining on KVR, so this should be a winner!

So many grumpy old men in this thread... :scared:

martinjuenke wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:22 pm So many grumpy old men in this thread... :scared:
its the kvr way :shrug:

"this is not something im interested in, therefore i must trash talk it!!!" :zzz:

.jon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm
fmr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm
mickbenjamins wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches, that fills up a void in the product lineup?
And having to fire Reaktor for that? :nutter:

I could understand if it was an independent plug-in, like Pro-53 was, but it isn't. :?

If you want to "fill voids" what about updating Absynth and FM8, instead?
That's the thing for me... there are a number of excellent synths in Reaktor... but having to fire up Reaktor (and how clumsy it is) means I basically don't use them. The thought comes in my head, hmm, this synth might be useful here and then the next thought is, but then I have to use Reaktor and I choose a regular VST synth for the task. I've already learned the hard way... if it is Reaktor synth, I'm just not gonna use it. Otherwise Super 8 looks like a fine synth... but no thanks. I have enough great softsynths that I can afford to be extremely choosey.
I have my most used ensembles saved as instrument racks in Live, there's no opening Reaktor step then. I don't find Reaktor clumsy at all, tbh the framework doesn't even come to play when using Prism for example. Double click in the browser or drag and drop, get playing.
If that works for you... great. I have no interest to work around the hassle that is Reaktor. There are enough great softsynths that aren't stuck in Reaktor that there is no reason to do so. It's not like this is something we don't have lots of already.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm
AnX wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pmhave to say though, having only 8 voice poly as a selling point in 2019 sucks balls
Max poly can be increased in instrument properties if you use full Reaktor.
so i need to buy reaktor... that bumps the price up to....?

:roll:

I'm more interested in why the link in the OP is actually leading to a shortened URL that goes through "Sharesale", an ad tracker.

hermbot wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:35 pm I'm more interested in why the link in the OP is actually leading to a shortened URL that goes through "Sharesale", an ad tracker.
How weird - Good spot !

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pmBecause we have so many synths we often start comparing. But why not see it as just a new instrument and whether it is doing its job or not?
It is intelligent to compare... because most people here already have multiple synths that make the same sounds and so they need to compare and decide if this offers anything they don't already have.

boring synth

Stefken wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:52 pm I don't think filling a void is NI problem. It's lack of innovation in product design.
Lack of innovation? Several of their Reaktor synths use novel methods of sound generation that you don’t generally find any where outside of maybe academic circles.

There’s a reason why they use Reaktor. It’s the right tool for the job.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Elektronisch wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 pm Its a very good sounding synth, but also a CPU hog...Init preset - 13% of CPU meter and any patch goes from 15-18%. Some sort of bug?
No, just the way Reaktor is. Monark hits 6-7% CPU for a single voice on my PC (but it's set to run at twice the sample rate by default), whereas with 8 voices going, Super 8 is never going above 14%, so this is pretty good all things considering, by comparison. 7 voices more than Monark in half the CPU.
AnX wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pmhave to say though, having only 8 voice poly as a selling point in 2019 sucks balls
No its not. None of reaktor instruments i habe take 13% at init state. Mind you init state - no voice played, no sound, nothing.

AnX wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Well.. buying Reaktor for this alone would be overkill. If you're out for gazillions of ensembles, and a great sounding modular synth, which literally lets you do anything though...

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Well.. buying Reaktor for this alone would be overkill. If you're out for gazillions of ensembles, and a great sounding modular synth, which literally lets you do anything though...

indeed, buying reaktor to up polyphony is overkill, and very expensive.

i cant imagine why anyone would suggest it

Thanks herm, changed it!
AnX wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 pm

indeed, buying reaktor to up polyphony is overkill, and very expensive.

i cant imagine why anyone would suggest it
Because of the "you can" factor of it? ;)

guess jupiters are not good enough anymore.

Return to “Instruments”