What's the state of Physical Modelling VSTs in 2019? MPE support a bonus.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Respiro

I've had a soft spot for Physical Modelling (PM) since the Yamaha VL hardware series of the last century.
I have a few Applied Acoustics Systems VSTs which I like but they have chosen not to offer a single VST that encompasses all of their tech but split it into individual products.
This week I came across Melda's MSoundFactory which includes PM as well as MPE support so it got my attention as I have a few MPE compatible controllers. I've had a quick look at the beta but it will take time to get my head around it as it's not the most intuitive software to me.

So any recommendations for Physical Modelling VSTs regardless of MPE support?

Originally AAS offered Tassman with did include most of their tech. Even now it being multiple piece the sell it as a budle on sale often.
It’s a hybrid but Kaivo is super.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

MSF has a modal bank/filter and a karplus strong resonator , the modal bank only has 32 partial ( which are essentialy band passs filters )
Same can be found in reaktor ( primary modules ) the modal bank an partial bank is reaktor can go up to 10000 parials ...so lot's more of options there >
If you have reaktor , I created the ensemble just for you ,here I only used 32 /64 partials
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7735/

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm Originally AAS offered Tassman with did include most of their tech. Even now it being multiple piece the sell it as a budle on sale often.
It’s a hybrid but Kaivo is super.
Thanks. They discontinued Tassman possibly because it was too old and they didn't think it feasible to update it?
I had the Bundle but want something that is all encompassing rather than split into separate products.
I'm checking out Kaivo as I type and the first impression is good.
Being hybrid is a bonus as long as Physical Modelling is deep. :tu:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 pm MSF has a modal bank/filter and a karplus strong resonator , the modal bank only has 32 partial ( which are essentialy band passs filters )
Same can be found in reaktor ( primary modules ) the modal bank an partial bank is reaktor can go up to 10000 parials ...so lot's more of options there >
If you have reaktor , I created the ensemble just for you ,here I only used 32 /64 partials
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7735/
Thanks. Downloading right now and will look into it.
I do have Reaktor 5 Full but haven't given it much attention.

What's the situation with Max 8 and Physical Modelling?
I'm quite drawn to Max 8 (stand alone version) anyway plus it has MPE support so are there any good PM synths built with that?

NI Prism (Reaktor instrument).
2 types of exciter: noise and impulse, modal bank, feedback, partial manipulation, ring-mod etc..

Logics Sculpture is an excellent PM synth and it supports MPE. Worth the cost of Logic just for Sculpture.

Kaivo is gorgeous sounding and MPE capable. The pitch bends sound especially realistic.

AAS Chromaphone is surprisingly versatile - it's sold as a percussion synth but you can get great plucked, scraped and bowed sounds from it as well and with a bit of effort also blown sounds.

Thanks All, that's a lot to get my head around.
I have Prism as part of Komplete but never looked at it but just loaded it into Reaper.
I am Windows only so Sculpture is no use.

Been demoing the Prism presets and they are so drenched in reverb and to a lesser extent delay that it is hard to really hear the underlying sound; will need to persevere.
aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 pmAAS Chromaphone is surprisingly versatile - it's sold as a percussion synth but you can get great plucked, scraped and bowed sounds from it as well and with a bit of effort also blown sounds.
I have it and like it and I know what you mean. I'd like something more expansive though that isn't trying to limit you and with MPE support. I haven't checked recently but don't think AAS support MPE?

The Audiomodeling instruments are MPE compatible and the most impressive realistic emulations I’ve used. Yes, I understand that they are partially sample based, but also physically modeled.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 pmThe Audiomodeling instruments are MPE compatible and the most impressive realistic emulations I’ve used. Yes, I understand that they are partially sample based, but also physically modeled.
Thanks, very interesting. They seem more focused on emulation whereas as I'm looking for something less focused which uses PM as more of a pure synthesis technique.
Similar to AAS they have broken down their range into individual instruments which is not what I'm looking for.
I'm looking for a general purpose PM instrument with MPE support.

I can't honestly say if it is exactly physical modelling but there are tons of patches in Cypher 2 that have realistic modeled sounds especially with MPE.

Zebra is not a PM synth, but with the huge range of tools and especially the comb modules, you can make some lovely organic emulations. Not MPE capable.

Kaivo has exceptional sound quality. Heavy on the cpu but you really get something for it.

Return to “Instruments”