ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Yay! Another expansion full of recycled sounds! :roll:

You guys sure are king in selling the same sounds over and over again.

with >120XPs and over 200.000 sounds in the store, someone cant invent the wheel new everytime. And in the music industry this isnt necessary: new genres dont appear all too often. A genre like Tropical House can of course have 3 or 4 xps with not having too much repetitions. And no sound is recycled from previous volumes, they are all created new from scratch. Furthermore Vol. 3 is made of a different designer than 1/2. Another point is, that not everyone needs to have 1&2 to get Vol. 3...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... POP. Give us more pop.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

what do you define as "pop"... its a large field and varies from country to country also

msvs wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 am what do you define as "pop"... its a large field and varies from country to country also
I'm not the person who said but I'm pretty sure "most" people define Pop in this context as Mainstream Top 40. So like Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Dua Lupa, Halsey, etc.

doesnt they just use either real instruments, hiphop or EDM sounds?

For me pop often isn't connected to EDM, RnB. Pop as I see it definitely has synths, but there will also be a lot of acoustic and electric guitars (and some of them in the XP I guess would be an important part in the mix). It's usually very vocal-centric and the backings tend to be simple but very crisp and clear - no supersaws or genre-affected tricks. In the current UK top 10, Savage Love by Jawsh 685; Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles (or back in the day One Direction); Blinding Lights by The Weeknd are the kinda thing. Pretty Great or Swim by Fickle Friends are glorious pure pop.

Tell you where it really came apparent to me, was dubbing a TV show recently for 10-12 year olds that had put library pop tracks all over it. None of it was dance music related at all, had none of those familiar genre ticks, but it was all extremely well produced.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Pop and every other genre has different areas, the most has House. And the mainstream genres are using the same sounds again and again since years, only the beats are different. So, if you want to make mainstream music, you can easily buy some "EDM soundbanks" and use them with different beats, especially for mainstream genres, which hav the "Future tag". I'm not a mainstream producer and that's the reason, I'm buying most of my sounds not from "mainstream" providers. And more and more people can't hear such music anymore. that's the reason, why we have a 80s / 90s revival at the moment.

clipnotic wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 am Pop and every other genre has different areas, the most has House. And the mainstream genres are using the same sounds again and again since years, only the beats are different. So, if you want to make mainstream music, you can easily buy some "EDM soundbanks" and use them with different beats, especially for mainstream genres, which hav the "Future tag". I'm not a mainstream producer and that's the reason, I'm buying most of my sounds not from "mainstream" providers. And more and more people can't hear such music anymore. that's the reason, why we have a 80s / 90s revival at the moment.
For me there is a quite distinct category of pop that does NOT use specific EDM or any other dance music tropes. It waxes and wanes a bit. In general there are of course plenty of synths than can cover this sort of thing - a lot of reverting to analogue and digital basics, but not self-consciously retro - but in terms of demand and ground covered by Nexus, it feels like an almighty black hole. Rather than endlessly retread the same familiar ground, I'd' have thought a modern pop-but-not-dance-centric XP or two would be a welcome addition.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Yes, there are many genres, which don't use that typical EDM shrieking or "Micky Mouse Vocal crap" and you're right, good Pop music has a good singer and acoustic sounds, too. If I would try to make music like "Jason Derulo - Savage Love" with Nexus, I would use the expansions "Reggaeton2" and "Guitar" and I would add some strings from "Hollywood". There is also a legacy expansion "Pop" available, but I don't know if its good or not, because the demo is a bit ... :D

They need more HIP Hop, R&B sounds , Also Lo fi , Chill Keys, Bells Plucks .I used to Love Nexus now it feels like the sounds are behind the times. and way over priced.The Sound Library it comes with is beyond dated and not cool at all for 250. they need to update that with alot of new sounds free For 250 I mean just a couple expansions and the Starter pack and you paid for Omnisphere Almost ummm noooo

What exactly is a hip hop sound? Boom box clicking? Turn take scratching? Gun shot? I make rap and I can use any sound to make a melody.

I have nexus 3, and was planning to release a soundset, but they dont' seem interested to work with any other sound designers, so, i'll release my own soundset, is this possible, let me know, if not, I will sale this thing.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am I have nexus 3, and was planning to release a soundset, but they dont' seem interested to work with any other sound designers, so, i'll release my own soundset, is this possible, let me know, if not, I will sale this thing.
How would you create your sounds? It's not even a synth. All you can do is start with one of the presets (which are copyrighted so you can't use them to sell your presets) and twist some knobs.

damayor wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 am What exactly is a hip hop sound? Boom box clicking? Turn take scratching? Gun shot? I make rap and I can use any sound to make a melody.
Good for you ..
Last edited by Poppamoet on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”