Favorite 80's kits from Battery?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am
Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
I believe that Linn Drum and other drum machines from that time are considered analogue for the fact that while the sound sources were digital samples, the rest of the machine was made of analogue circuitry.

A real drum kit would be considered "acoustic" rather than "analogue" since the terms analogue and digital refer to electronic design. A musical instrument can be thought of as acoustic, electric or electronic.
Ah, fair points. Certainly the circuitry in the Linn Drum gave it such distinctive sounds at extremes, such as the aforementioned Prince rim-shot, though I don't know if that was the D-As or whatever.

People were so excited by sampled drums at the time ("fire your drummer!"). It took years to realise that drum machines weren't drummer replacements but their own thing.

I just looked up the R5 and R8, made in 1989 apparently. It looks like there were a bit of a compendium of other machines? To me the most important Roland ones from the 80s are there - 808, 909, 727, 707, 606, though the cheapie DR-55 is MIA.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am
Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
I believe that Linn Drum and other drum machines from that time are considered analogue for the fact that while the sound sources were digital samples, the rest of the machine was made of analogue circuitry.

A real drum kit would be considered "acoustic" rather than "analogue" since the terms analogue and digital refer to electronic design. A musical instrument can be thought of as acoustic, electric or electronic.
Ah, fair points. Certainly the circuitry in the Linn Drum gave it such distinctive sounds at extremes, such as the aforementioned Prince rim-shot, though I don't know if that was the D-As or whatever.

People were so excited by sampled drums at the time ("fire your drummer!"). It took years to realise that drum machines weren't drummer replacements but their own thing.

I just looked up the R5 and R8, made in 1989 apparently. It looks like there were a bit of a compendium of other machines? To me the most important Roland ones from the 80s are there - 808, 909, 727, 707, 606, though the cheapie DR-55 is MIA.
Yes, I too was excited! Those drum machines were liberation at the time. Along with my Portastudio, the drum machine really made making demos of my songs something within my reach.

I owned an R8m and loved it. Actually I had tons of DMs. Sequential Circuits TOM and Drumtrax, Alesis HR-16, Yamaha RX11..just a few off the top of my head. I loved them all.

There is a fun doc on the 808. Worth watching. Lots of info in 80s machine drum history.

https://youtu.be/lIS-o_--wqY
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm I just looked up the R5 and R8, made in 1989 apparently. It looks like there were a bit of a compendium of other machines?
The R-5's focus at least for me was Acoustic Rock Drums and the famous Gated Drums. The R-5 has "electronic" drum samples as well but I didn't use them. My favorite samples are Mondo Kick, Reverb Snare, and Ambient Toms for big drum sounds. It also has a nice Slap Bass that was useful back in the day.

I guess the thing to remember is the 80's contained many different Genres some of which did not commonly use the 808 or 909 etc..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I used to use Battery 3 all the time and one of my favorites was the Soul Kit/multi-mic . It had a big/powerful acoustic kit sound which was 80s-like, well... to me it was anyway.

Speaking of Battery 3, I am having trouble installing it with my Windows 10 PC. But that's another topic...

One of the coolest Synthwave style kits with a lil futurism in it

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... cuit-halo/

Return to “Instruments”