Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
SirkusPi
KVRist
313 posts since 14 Aug, 2012

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:15 am

Pigments must be popular under the current sale! I recently decided to treat myself to a new synth (now that Avenger is dead to me after the recent update debacle), so I demoed and enjoyed Pigments, and the $70 USD crossgrade sale price is certainly more than fair. But even though I bought this morning direct from Arturia, I received an email that they're backed up, so can't send my license immediately -- but they'll have it out within "2 working days." Well, good for them I guess for being so successful! :lol:

Igro
KVRAF
4174 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Re: Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:38 am

biomechanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 pm
c_voltage wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Any ideas?
(I have a feeling that it’s somehow not difficult to do here, but something I'm dumb a bit)
I haven't had a chance to check this, but I think you can achieve what you want by using a Random modulator set to S&H with Trigger set to Poly Keyboard, and choosing a Source that suits your purpose eg - White Noise or Random. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the hint. But what the noise as a source for redet is doing in this case?
Last edited by Igro on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

fuse
KVRist
54 posts since 3 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:42 am

[quote=Caine123 post_id=7608049 time=1576429694 user_id=212807]
I thought you can have 6 layers? I see only 2? Elements. How can i add the other 4? Thx
[/quote]

You have 6 slots below the waveform-display, A to F.

Buckster
KVRist
117 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Ok beginning to change my mind - I was just playing with a modified pad along with xenoverb and I really liked the resultsm. The fact I could dial in my expression pedal to my liking so easily was a huge plus - sounded fantastic

Vortifex
KVRAF
1638 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:00 pm

I've been demoing it and I just can't make up my mind. It's capable of making plenty of interesting sounds, but a lot of time I find myself wondering when I would actually use them. For me it doesn't feel like one of those synths you can fire up and quickly get something that works. Maybe it depends on the style of music you make. Will keep at it...

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
13717 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm starting to come across as a fanboi but a quick search will show I stated many times my distaste for Arturia and that I'd never own one of their products. Well... I'm eating my words because this synth is simply staggering and I'm sold.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

riddim83
KVRist
33 posts since 25 Oct, 2018

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Vortifex wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:00 pm
I've been demoing it and I just can't make up my mind. It's capable of making plenty of interesting sounds, but a lot of time I find myself wondering when I would actually use them. For me it doesn't feel like one of those synths you can fire up and quickly get something that works. Maybe it depends on the style of music you make. Will keep at it...
I use it for loads of bread-and-butter sounds in progressive house/tech house because it's so easy to dial in subtle modulation of various kinds. Modulation of the default wavetable, for example, is great for controlling harmonics over time. This works really well for me with saturation or distortion at the start of the FX chain.

plexity
KVRer
1 posts since 25 May, 2018

Re: Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update) if you use your ASC Arturia Software Centre, NOT the website

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm

I got confused, as an owner of Pig1.

The website offers it to me for 49, but if I open my Arturia Software Centre app on my Mac,NOT the website,

it's FREE to update to pig2!

======================

Pig 1 and 2 reviewed by a Hollywood star.

https://youtu.be/H4IrfObVzJo

Vortifex
KVRAF
1638 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:26 pm

riddim83 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:17 pm
Vortifex wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:00 pm
I use it for loads of bread-and-butter sounds in progressive house/tech house because it's so easy to dial in subtle modulation of various kinds. Modulation of the default wavetable, for example, is great for controlling harmonics over time. This works really well for me with saturation or distortion at the start of the FX chain.
Yeah this thing is a modulation beast, really fun to toy with that.

I think I'll just shut up and buy it, I know I'll regret it if I don't..

Ohlson_M
KVRist
116 posts since 20 May, 2016

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Just demoed it and I like it a lot. As a V7 owner, the 49€ price almost felt like a robbery.

Very nice workflow with lots of visual feedback. Tons of possibilities, inspiring UI, clever modulation system, nice sounding FX.

I tend to use different synths for different types of sounds. From my 4-5 hour playthrough with Pigments 2, this synth is pure heaven for pad sounds.

Most of the factory presets sound pretty strange and quite thin, at least to my ears. Overall, I struggle to find Arturia presets useful for my needs. However, as with any ”big synth”, if you know your sound design, this beast can become whatever you want it to.

biomechanoid
KVRist
438 posts since 30 May, 2002 from Scotland

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Igro wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:38 am
biomechanoid wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 pm
c_voltage wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Any ideas?
(I have a feeling that it’s somehow not difficult to do here, but something I'm dumb a bit)
I haven't had a chance to check this, but I think you can achieve what you want by using a Random modulator set to S&H with Trigger set to Poly Keyboard, and choosing a Source that suits your purpose eg - White Noise or Random. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the hint. But what the noise as a source for redet is doing in this case?
With Trigger set to PolyKB, the noise Source effectively generates a random value for each Note On.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

planetearth
KVRAF
1667 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Re: Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update) if you use your ASC Arturia Software Centre, NOT the website

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:53 pm

plexity wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm

The website offers it to me for 49, but if I open my Arturia Software Centre app on my Mac,NOT the website,

======================

As others have stated a few times already (albeit on other pages), yes, it's completely free to existing Pigment owners. Just run the Arturia Software Center and it will update it for you. :)

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.

machinesworking
KVRAF
2054 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:06 pm
I'm starting to come across as a fanboi but a quick search will show I stated many times my distaste for Arturia and that I'd never own one of their products. Well... I'm eating my words because this synth is simply staggering and I'm sold.
Arturia are a mixed bag for sure, I feel the same about NI, iZotope and IK for various reasons. Arturia have been hitting it pretty solid lately though, good stuff in their latest "emulations" less hype. I give U-He mass credit for not doing specific emulations, saves them the scrutiny and failed expectations.

LoveEnigma18
KVRian
1496 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 am

Ohlson_M wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:24 pm

this synth is pure heaven for pad sounds.
You won't disagree if I add keys and bells sounds to that, would you? :)

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
588 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 am

planetearth wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:53 pm
plexity wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm

======================

As others have stated a few times already (albeit on other pages), yes, it's completely free to existing Pigment owners. Just run the Arturia Software Center and it will update it for you. :)

Steve
It's confusing because if you do qualify for the crossgrade discount (you own V-Collection or another qualifying product), you get an offer for the $49/$69 crossgrade via email and when you log in to your account, even if you already own Pigments 1 and therefore qualify for the free upgrade.

So if you own Pigments 1, don't click on that link and pay for the upgrade. Just run the Arturia SC and you'll get the update for free.

Return to “Instruments”