FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

lobanov wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 pm inMusic is a famous corpse collector... Sorry.

BFD will be successfully mummificated.
We have 2 people working on BFD who have jumped in to "infer" that they have been given more resources and support to keep developing BFD than they were given in the last 4 years with ROLI. We may even see a BFD4 down the line. And yet, everyone who makes these RIP comments somehow ignores this for some reason. Maybe because they prefer a different drum VI?

Seems to me like it is actually the other way around, and BFD would have effectively died if it had stayed in limbo with ROLI.

This is a question of opinion, but to me nothing sounds as good as BFD, except for Platinum Samples own engine, but they can't be compared in terms of number of kits available and features. I would be devastated if BFD died out.

I wonder what's going on at ROLI now when they're getting rid of both BFD and JUCE as intellectual properties.

Amberience wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:50 pm
kiezum wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:44 pm This is not good for the future of BFD.
100% disagree. Without going into too many details, the bad thing for the future of BFD would have been for the team and the tech to remain in the position it was in. This is a new lease of life. None of us would've put our lives and families on the line if we thought this couldn't turn out to be an amazing opportunity for everyone involved.

And that means the users too. I truly believe that.
I hope you’re right. I really really do. But InMusic is a known entity. They utterly screwed me on dropping support for expensive hardware, and they’ve trashed the brands Akai and Alesis (and Numark?), etc.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

SKoT_FX wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:48 am The current plan is to be a "BFD" brand alongside the others in inMusic; so the desktop software continues, and we pursue in-group synergies (apologies again for using that word, but it's appropriate) as project-partnerships within the inMusic group. The BFD team is very fired up for boosting development of the software again; and having the interest & resource backing of the other inMusic group brands will only strengthen our cause. Very much NOT getting chopped up for parts. There's too much value for the group in having the core BFD software continue development & getting stronger, whilst we also find ways for it to work with the many drum-related arms of the inMusic product portfolio.

The ongoing sales / support / delivery relationship with FXpansion is a practical solution to just how embedded all things BFD are within FXpansion's IT systems, so while we spin that up in inMusic, we have a long friendly grace period to transfer everyone/everything over smoothly.
Or, at least that’s what InMusic executives want you to think. I mean, if they tell you all this and then don’t let it happen, and screw you over, and screw over your existing customers ... it’s not like there’s something in the contract that says you can go be an independent company again, right?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:40 pm
lobanov wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 pm inMusic is a famous corpse collector... Sorry.

We have 2 people working on BFD who have jumped in to "infer" that they have been given more resources and support to keep developing BFD than they were given in the last 4 years with ROLI. We may even see a BFD4 down the line. And yet, everyone who makes these RIP comments somehow ignores this for some reason. Maybe because they prefer a different drum VI?

Seems to me like it is actually the other way around, and BFD would have effectively died if it had stayed in limbo with ROLI.

This is a question of opinion, but to me nothing sounds as good as BFD, except for Platinum Samples own engine, but they can't be compared in terms of number of kits available and features. I would be devastated if BFD died out.
The Roli buyout was the real issue. On day one of that acquisition, many of us saw THIS coming (changing hands or dying at the hands of an irresponsible entity).

Moving FXpansion to InMusic is just fulfilling the expectations we started having with the Roli acquisition. It’s icing on the shit cake, for all of us BFD users who are also customers of the brands InMusic has acquired over the years.

I don’t know why anyone would be confident about this. The FXpansion people want this to work out and I hope it does, and that’s why they’re being positive. They need it to work out.

However, there’s no safety here. InMusic is InMusic. If the corporate droids declare FXpansion is just going to be used for spare parts and clone products across all their brands (see Alesis, Akai, etc), then that’s what will happen. I doubt there’s anything in any contract that ultimately protects them from it.

I would be HAPPY TO BE WRONG.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Dear God I had no idea who inMusic were when I started the thread. I just took a look at their brands and it sent shivers down my spine.

AIR Music Technology
Akai Professional
Alesis
Alto Professional
Denon Professional
Denon DJ
HeadRush
ION Audio
M-Audio
Marantz Professional
MARQ Lighting
MixMeister
Numark
Rane
Sonivox
SoundSwitch

The most successful of these are probably Akai and M-Audio, and they’re basically on life support. Very Gibson-esque feeling about them.

I think a lot of us are nervous about losing the ability to use a software that we all love in the future, which is part of the reason that I am starting to purchase hardware. Someone mentioned that akai is on life support, seems like they are doing pretty well to me.

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:40 pm

"May be".

What you said means almost nothing. Two developers? Are you serious? Is it sufficient for such a complex product? I think BFD was dead BEFORE ROLI. "Dead" means "complete". Nothing to do. That's why it is a very good product. It can be sold and used. For a long time. But it cannot evolve.

And inMusic... Sorry for repeating but it is a corpse collector. Literally. Some of AIR synths are perfect, I use them all the time. But they are DEAD.

And yes, I told about my impressions only.

Let's wait. We'll see.

patchhunter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:18 pm ...Someone mentioned that akai is on life support, seems like they are doing pretty well to me.
Akai has pluses & minuses.

They’ve been part of the “same as Alesis’ product” clone MIDI controllers... thing.

They started, and then abandoned, a few iOS-integrated products (as did Alesis) like “SynthStudio” (which I bought not realizing they weren’t Akai anymore).

They had a deal with one of our “local” developers for a Kore-like software plugin/preset manager (which I saw being abandoned about as quickly as it happened).

More notably, they have continued to promote and sell mobile beat-making hardware under the MPC product name. It is probably the best thing coming from them, though I’ve never used one. If it didn’t look like “a computer in hardware’s clothes”, I might have an interest.

Akai, because of the MPC, is probably the most notable brand at InMusic. Alesis put out some half-assed hollow efforts at trying to make follow-ups to the original company’s products, but there was nothing noteworthy while part of InMusic.

InMusic uses their acquisitions as sources for parts of generic products sold through multiple brands, with no uniqueness or “soul”... and as “look at all the valuable brands we own!!!11!!”. They’re a brand aggregator. An IP hoarder.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Just heard from Drew at FXpansion on another forum. I'm cautiously excited about the prospects and willing to use possible future development to thwart GAS from causing me to buy more cr*p plugins I don't really need.

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:05 pm Dear God I had no idea who inMusic were when I started the thread. I just took a look at their brands and it sent shivers down my spine.

AIR Music Technology
Akai Professional
Alesis
Alto Professional
Denon Professional
Denon DJ
HeadRush
ION Audio
M-Audio
Marantz Professional
MARQ Lighting
MixMeister
Numark
Rane
Sonivox
SoundSwitch

The most successful of these are probably Akai and M-Audio, and they’re basically on life support. Very Gibson-esque feeling about them.
OK so just ignore brands like Denon, Alesis, Marantz, Rane - I mean what utter failures?! Come on, be fair with this stuff. I've never been a big fan of Numark corp, I wasn't happy with the Akai buyout back in the day, and dear lord they made some awful decisions with the brand to start with, but the recent MPC line has been really good and they seem to have a very good development setup in Cambridge (UK). But sure just compare this to Gibson buyouts of the past for no good reason whatsoever. :roll:

While I understand some of the fear when looking at their other acquisitions...

BFD and inMusic make more sense than Roli and BFD.

They now have a well respected product in their lineup that hopefully, they won't f**k up. Roli is full-on MPE (and hopefully they have enough to survive).

June61944 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm Just heard from Drew at FXpansion on another forum. I'm cautiously excited about the prospects and willing to use possible future development to thwart GAS from causing me to buy more cr*p plugins I don't really need.
Is it against the rules to link to other forums here on KVR? If so, could you PM me a link to that thread?
Last edited by triggerthehorizon on Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm
June61944 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm Just heard from Drew at FXpansion on another forum. I'm cautiously excited about the prospects and willing to use possible future development to thwart GAS from causing me to buy more cr*p plugins I don't really need.
Is it against the rules to link to other forums here on KVR? If so, could tou PM me a link to that thread?
links are fine :)

vurt wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 pm
triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm
Is it against the rules to link to other forums here on KVR? If so, could tou PM me a link to that thread?
links are fine :)
Leave it up to you to start talking about sausage.

Return to “Instruments”