VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:52 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 pm
triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm
June61944 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm Just heard from Drew at FXpansion on another forum. I'm cautiously excited about the prospects and willing to use possible future development to thwart GAS from causing me to buy more cr*p plugins I don't really need.
Is it against the rules to link to other forums here on KVR? If so, could tou PM me a link to that thread?
links are fine :)
Leave it up to you to start talking about sausage.
https://youtu.be/BPM5pScY1ME

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:28 pm While I understand some of the fear when looking at their other acquisitions...

BFD and inMusic make more sense than Roli and BFD.

They now have a well respected product in their lineup that hopefully, they won't f**k up. Roli is full-on MPE (and hopefully they have enough to survive).
Exactly. I think that's the piece people are missing. The question wasn't "we go back in time and BFD stays with an independently owned FXPansion or gets acquired by inMusic." The question was "BFD stays under the Roli umbrella, where it doesn't align at all with what they were doing, or BFD gets acquired by inMusic to be developed under its own brand." When you look at it that way, I think there's actually a much, much brighter future for BFD post-aquisition than before. Seemed like Roli just wasn't interested in non-MPE products and BFD would've been neglected, if not killed entirely.

A future where Skot and Drew can devote time to improving BFD sounds a lot better in that light doesn't it?

Here's the link to the BandLab post that I spoke about. Drew hopped on straight away and has always been a fairly straight-up read. REALLY glad to hear he got out from under the ROLI quagmire.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... uires-bfd/

lobanov wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:50 pm Two developers? Are you serious? Is it sufficient for such a complex product?
I don't want to go and dissect every post here because it's not going to be super productive for any of us.

But just to pick this up, for as long as I was at FX you essentially had at most 3 developers working on BFD at any one time. Sure there is a shared code-stack that ... um.... perhaps 6 developers contributed to over the course of 17 years...

FX wasn't a huge company. But achieved some amazing things with the resources they/we had.

The BFD team will continue with that spirit and get the things done that we need to get done. No-one else I know has the drive that this team has. Fundamentally we all really love music and music technology. That's why we got into this business.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Sim.Sky wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:00 pm Well, guess it won’t take long until you can buy BFD for 1 Euro at Plugin Boutique then ...
very cool!
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 pm
lobanov wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:50 pm Two developers? Are you serious? Is it sufficient for such a complex product?
I don't want to go and dissect every post here because it's not going to be super productive for any of us.

But just to pick this up, for as long as I was at FX you essentially had at most 3 developers working on BFD at any one time. Sure there is a shared code-stack that ... um.... perhaps 6 developers contributed to over the course of 17 years...

FX wasn't a huge company. But achieved some amazing things with the resources they/we had.

The BFD team will continue with that spirit and get the things done that we need to get done. No-one else I know has the drive that this team has. Fundamentally we all really love music and music technology. That's why we got into this business.
Sounds like a bit of a reunion than as well?

Wishing you guys the best... If they're passionate about the product, plus given the extra resources this should be very good.

You don't need a large team to build a large, complex software product. 2 or 3 good devs that are disciplined about following the same coding patterns are frequently much more efficient than a large team.

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 pm FX wasn't a huge company. But achieved some amazing things with the resources they/we had.
Just had a great idea. Now that you are motivated and anxious to get going maybe you could use the newfound synergy between the inMusic brands and do the new GUIs for AIR products as a warm-up job. They have been promised for years.
No signature here!

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 pm

If so, I wish the best to BFD.

robotmonkey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:11 am
Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 pm FX wasn't a huge company. But achieved some amazing things with the resources they/we had.
Just had a great idea. Now that you are motivated and anxious to get going maybe you could use the newfound synergy between the inMusic brands and do the new GUIs for AIR products as a warm-up job. They have been promised for years.
Someone needs a gentle introduction to The Mythical Man Month.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 am
Or to show a bit of human decency to a dev we hope has success in what seems like a tricky environment.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 am
:hihi: I actually know that book.
No signature here!

Kudos to the devs for being so open and willing to communicate. I do wish them all the best, and hope that BFD, which is a great product, will thrive in the future.

I want to believe that with this move we’ll see the developers free to pursue their passion for BFD and that it’ll be a benefit for us users. Time will tell. I appreciate the input from Skot and Drew and to know their outlook on this. I’m sure they are aware of InMusic’s reputation. In the end I think all BFD users are a little skeptical, perhaps rightly so, but it’s not over yet. All the best to the new BFD brand!

Why did Roli even buy these two companies in the first place?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”