One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Leonard Bowman wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:58 am Some of the best synths for this are the Full Bucket instruments with multiple components, like FB-3100 and Tricent because you can get overlapping sounds of different timbres.
Image Line's Harmor, which I used for 'Any Synth' should also be brilliant for such a thing. One can actually create timbre and shape per note, so it's possible to have multiple instruments across the keyboard, even including a percussion set if desired. Too bad I only really became aware of these possibilities quite late. Might have had a go at it, otherwise.
htohgrom wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 am Try modifying envelope stages by the envelope itself (e.g. Amp Env -> Amp Env Decay)...
That is an interesting suggestion. Definitely hadn't thought of that. Thanks !

+++ Submission +++
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/in-m ... orge-floyd

Around 20 Odin2. Valhalla SuperMassive, MeldaProduction MCompressor, QuickHaas, lot's of Bitwig 3.2 FX.

Edit 09.06.: Did several updates considering the mix. Note: Distortion and Saturation introduces a lot of high freq content in the beyond-my-hearing spectrum that ran my ears in fatigue. Check your high end!
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 pm ... Valhalla SuperMassive ... Bitwig 3.2 ...
Excellent! Your entry is officially approved! :tu:

started my track
loving Odin2 so far

htohgrom wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 am Try modifying envelope stages by the envelope itself (e.g. Amp Env -> Amp Env Decay), this should broaden their sonic possibilities. You can make them snappier for percussive sounds or slower, for example for longer decaying cymbals. And it's quite comfortable in Odin's mod matrix, where you can modulate two destinations by a single source.
Yes this is what I was looking for :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-wa ... n2-kvr-osc

Reaper
24 instances of Odin 2
Main Buss
Airwindows pop
Airwindows Capacitor
Airwindows Baxendall
Airwindows Spiral
Airwindows ButterComp
Airwindows Capacitor
JS DC Filter
LoudMax
Airwindows Righteous4
Youlean
RS Met MultiAnalyzer

Supermassive
ReaEQ
HoRNetSW34EQMK2-2.1.2
Airwindows Blockparty
Airwindows Drive
Airwindows Calibre
Airwindows AverMatrix
FishFillets Blockfish
OTT
DragonFlyHall

Odin2 presets
https://mega.nz/file/rltngCaS#NOeaUUkpg ... I6YXXAHBWw

Updated for DL of presets
Last edited by Eauson on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Not a submission...
Just a second sketch with Odin2 and Valhalla SuperMassive:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/despair
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't know whether you have already figured out how to use the "Unison Index" modulator... Anybody interested in an example patch demonstrating how to use it?

Sure. Thanks.

empphryio wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am Sure. Thanks.
Check out the Patch in the attachment which demonstrates how Unison Index can be used. Use the mod wheel... Without mod setting the patch sounds terrible ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@ TheWaveWarden
Odin 2! One of the best! Ever. So deep, so easy.

A small snippet of things to come:

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/stahl-2-preview

I uploaded the first version of a manual for Odin 2.
It is still work in progress, but I figured it could help settle some of your questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95cuwgn4oxxi7 ... P.pdf?dl=0

Disclaimer 1: The manual is written for the upcoming version 2.2.0, so there are slight differences.

Disclaimer 2: If you are easily offended by grammar mistakes you better not click that link. The whole thing was created in a 72 hour caffeine induced texting session.

Please don't upload it elsewhere!

Also, great tracks guys! :tu: I am super excited for the results of this OSC.

Hi there !

So I started to fiddle with Odin 2 and I absolutely love it. Now that I have played with it for maybe 5 hours, there are few features that I miss :

* the ability to mute and unmute oscillators individually without having to select "None" then to select the oscillator type again. So for the moment, to mute an oscillator, I use the routing buttons in the filters. But whenever I do parallel filtering, I have to toggle both filters oscillator input. So yeah, it's not that important and I could really do without, but this would speed up the workflow.

* The same goes for bypassing filter : for now, I just click on the "Bypass" option in the filter's scrolling menu. But then I have to select again the filter type and sometimes I forget wich one I had put there :D . So I would like a bypass button for filters too.

* Amplitude control over LFOs : again, I know I can already do this via the "Scale" control. But there are cases where I'd prefer to use the X/Y pad for other things than to control the LFO modulation amount.

* Phase control and/or Delay and/or Attack and/or Release over LFOs : I didn't find a workaround for that one. I really love that kind of feature.

* More modulation matrix' columns : I've found my self using the same modulator on two or three rows in almost every patch I made. I mean that the number of rows is fine but if I use all the rows to assign only one modulator, there is no room for the rest and I have redundant scale factors in the patch.

* Modulate X/Y pad : I would love to have the possibility to modulate X or Y with an LFO for instance. Actually, I am already doing it via Max For Live and it's really game changing, especially for pads or acid basses that change a lot over the time. So generally, my workflow with X/Y pads synth (which I love) is to modulate the X/Y pad with a simple LFO for all the sound design step. Then I like to get rid of the LFO and automate more precisely the changes. Anyway, this feature would be game changing :party: for me (I particularly like the Wiggle's X/Y pad as well as Rob Papen's one if you wanna get some inspiration)

I would definitely pay for this synth and it is for me one of the best free synth out there. The filters sound amazing and it has a really nice workflow despite what I said before. So thanks a lot (and to OSC to make me discover this wonder) @TheWaveWarden and congratulations !

diaseis wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 pm * Amplitude control over LFOs : again, I know I can already do this via the "Scale" control. But there are cases where I'd prefer to use the X/Y pad for other things than to control the LFO modulation amount.
That one's on my list already. Not yet shur how easy it is to implement.
diaseis wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 pm * Phase control and/or Delay and/or Attack and/or Release over LFOs : I didn't find a workaround for that one. I really love that kind of feature.
I didn't get this one. Phase control, ok. But Delay / Attack / Release? Like in "Wait befor the LFO starts...? I'm sure you don't mean ADSR modulation due to the last point ^^
diaseis wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 pm * More modulation matrix' columns : I've found my self using the same modulator on two or three rows in almost every patch I made. I mean that the number of rows is fine but if I use all the rows to assign only one modulator, there is no room for the rest and I have redundant scale factors in the patch.
No space in the GUI I fear... Also you must love modulation :D
diaseis wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 pm * Modulate X/Y pad : I would love to have the possibility to modulate X or Y with an LFO for instance.
Yes, I love this idea. I think I'll implement that right now. (I'm really tired of patch-sorting :D)

EDIT: Done! Look out for it in Version 2.2.0 :D (Probably post-OSC)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm I didn't get this one. Phase control, ok. But Delay / Attack / Release? Like in "Wait befor the LFO starts...? I'm sure you don't mean ADSR modulation due to the last point ^^
I agree I was not clear at all :hihi: So what I meant is indeed a kind of simplified envelope control on the LFO volume :
* Delay : wait for a certain amount of ms for the LFO to start. I use this a lot to make sure that the LFO does not interfere with the initial transient when it is a bit long (the one of the whole patch) .
* Attack : standard attack on LFO's amplitude, I would make it linear but it's your synth :D
I use this mainly for pads or for expressive vibratos, to slowly introduce the modulation for a more dramatic effect :phones:
* Release : well kinda same thing

I never use decay parameters for LFOs and I would be curious if some of you have find an interesting use for it :?: .
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm No space in the GUI I fear... Also you must love modulation :D
Yeah indeed you have already put a great deal of features in such a small space. And yes, I do love modulation :) .
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm EDIT: Done! Look out for it in Version 2.2.0 :D (Probably post-OSC)
Yayyyy ! :party: Looking forward to it !

Return to “Instruments”