Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
274 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Neuss, Germany

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Hey,

there is now a VSTi version of a Kawai K1:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nils-k ... -schneider

I asked for a VSTi like this a decade ago or so, now there is one. I very carefully recreated it by analyzing every value of every single parameter and did a lot of A/B tests against the K1m that sits on my desk, the effort was huge but at the same time, it was a lot of fun. :)

I have blog about it which covers a lot of the K1 aspects in a very great detail. I even desoldered the Wave ROM and dumped it by using an Arduino Mega.

Feel free to read more about it here: https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/kawai-k1-vsti/

Let me know what you think :wink:

Best,

Nils
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

User avatar
KVRAF
2664 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 pm

Nils Schneider wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 pm
there is now a VSTi version of a Kawai K1:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nils-k ... -schneider
I hate being the first poster asking for stuff - but is there any chance of this ever becoming a plug for Mac? Getting an old Kawai rompler in plugin format is like a dream come true. Love their old stuff. I used to have the K1 and the K4 and I made so many tracks with them.

In either case - thanks a lot for doing this!

/Carl
Plughugger Sound Design
Cyberpunk for Omnisphere: ZERO POINT ONE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

AnX
KVRAF
9841 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:15 pm

sounds like a lot of work for a freebie, I'm sure a ton of ppl will appreciate it and reward you accordingly 8)

User avatar
KVRAF
7684 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 pm

heads up for winXP users, XP does not appear to be supported.
crashes with dll errors.
no biggie, Korg M1 and luxonix ravityS fill my rompler needs just fine.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRian
587 posts since 8 May, 2006

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 pm

layzer wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 pm
heads up for winXP users, XP does not appear to be supported.
heads up for Windows XP users... it is now the year 2020. :o

KVRist
320 posts since 7 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 am

Man if this was available for mac I'd be all over it

User avatar
KVRAF
2912 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:55 am

Hi Nils,

this is totally awesome! I followed your progress since your first blog post and to have my first synthesizer now as a plugin is a dream come true. :party:
I had a very quick run-through and it is exiting how many interesting sounds it can still deliver!

Two things I noticed:
- A drop down list for bank selection would be nice, since there are already now lots of banks
- Maybe it is already possible, if not, it would be nice to edit multiple sources at once, e.g. for tweaking envelopes.

As a far streteched goal VST3 would be nice.

Instantly "bought" it :-)

Cheers!

KVRist

Topic Starter

274 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Neuss, Germany

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 am

layzer wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 pm
crashes with dll errors.
Could you copy the error message? I didn't test on XP but I didn't implement anything Vista+ specific so it should work, in theory at least :) I'm going to try it in a virtual machine.
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

User avatar
KVRian
640 posts since 29 Nov, 2002 from Finland

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 am

+1 for a Mac version! I still have my old K1m sitting in the closet, used it a lot in the 90's. Just last year I tried if it still works, I was able to power it up, but couldn't get any sound out of it (probably I just don't remember how it works). :D Big props for the effort!

User avatar
KVRian
698 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 am

Is there a version for my Atari Mega ST4 available, too? :D

User avatar
KVRian
608 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:11 am

Captain wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 am
+1 for a Mac version! I still have my old K1m sitting in the closet, used it a lot in the 90's. Just last year I tried if it still works, I was able to power it up, but couldn't get any sound out of it (probably I just don't remember how it works). :D Big props for the effort!
There's a button cell inside. Maybe it's dead?
Probably handles the saving of presets but who knows what it can affect?
Does require soldering though.

User avatar
KVRAF
2035 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am

Nils Schneider wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 pm
Hey,

there is now a VSTi version of a Kawai K1:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nils-k ... -schneider

I asked for a VSTi like this a decade ago or so, now there is one. I very carefully recreated it by analyzing every value of every single parameter and did a lot of A/B tests against the K1m that sits on my desk, the effort was huge but at the same time, it was a lot of fun. :)

I have blog about it which covers a lot of the K1 aspects in a very great detail. I even desoldered the Wave ROM and dumped it by using an Arduino Mega.

Feel free to read more about it here: https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/kawai-k1-vsti/

Let me know what you think :wink:

Best,

Nils
This looks great! You really dumped the ROMs and have all the factory presets? How close is the sound of the plug-in's output to a K1's output? (I never had one, so I can't compare.)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

User avatar
KVRAF
2664 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:20 am

clipnotic wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:05 am
Is there a version for my Atari Mega ST4 available, too? :D
Probably the most beautiful computer ever built :tu:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
Cyberpunk for Omnisphere: ZERO POINT ONE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

User avatar
KVRist
399 posts since 26 Aug, 2011 from somewhere under the rainbow

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 am

planetearth wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am
This looks great! You really dumped the ROMs and have all the factory presets? How close is the sound of the plug-in's output to a K1's output? (I never had one, so I can't compare.)
From the looks of it, it's very close. Nils described the whole process on his blog, like here:
https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/2020/06 ... -wave-rom/
and in other articles in the category https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/kawai-k1-vsti/

Captain wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 am
I was able to power it up, but couldn't get any sound out of it (probably I just don't remember how it works)
My GEM S2 had similar problem, it turned out that in the internal power supply some capacitors died of age and the whole analog section (amplifier) was mute :)

User avatar
KVRAF
20519 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09 am

Very cool sounding. Hopefully, will work on my PC.

Return to “Instruments”