Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Erich.Pfister
KVRer
27 posts since 24 Jul, 2020

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Anacreon is a personal patch-cable-driven obsession turned commercial VST. It doesn't do anything never-before-seen, but it does have bandlimited, hard-syncable, supersaw-capable oscillators and a great sounding filter section. It also comes with the head (and beard) of an ancient Greek poet, who will stare angrily at your work whenever the plugin window is open.

This synthesizer was programmed using the C++ and VST3 SDK - no use of Juce, Synthedit, Flowstone, etc.

KVR Product Page

Plans:

I, Erich Pfister, the sole developer, am working on a patch bank that will be distributed for free within the next couple of weeks. If anybody wants to suggest sounds worth adding to the bank, please let me know. I plan to make this plugin available for Apple and Linux devices as soon as I can.

I will follow up with audio samples and video demos. If anyone wants to hear a specific style of music produced on this synth, let me know and I will put a demo together for you and post it in this thread. Silly, made-up music genres are allowed - whatever it takes to sell this thing.

Existing audio demos are available on the product page, thanks for your time!

Edit (7/30/2020):
Demo has been added to product page.
I have become more open to less yellow / a version with an alternate GUI.
I have also become more open to more yellow.

Edit (8/01/2020):
The current silly made up music genre is Bluegae (bluegrass reggae), demo track in the works.
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THE INTRANCER
KVRAF
1530 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm

I think you need a lot of help with that GUI design....because right now it looks more like a PCB.. and really not a user-friendly graphical user interface or GUI as they are called.

When engineers build a prototype circuit board, they are normally focused to give more attention on formatting the circuit and confirm that the prototype PCB is functional at the end of the assembly. So this leaves the PCB design itself to be ignored, and this is what has happened here imop... I'd suggest you take a course at college for example on GUI design or ask someone to design an interface for you based on the elements you have illustrated.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A New Site Fusing Music - Art - Film & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

Erich.Pfister
KVRer

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm
I think you need a lot of help with that GUI design....because right now it looks more like a PCB.. and really not a user-friendly graphical user interface or GUI as they are called.

Thanks for taking the time to put together good constructive criticism.

The GUI design criteria included:
  • Small footprint
  • Patch cables
  • No tabs / windows
  • Continuous pitch control on oscillators
I do understand that high contrast yellow-on-black isn't exactly fashionable, especially if you're using a monospaced console font on top of it. To some degree, it's intentionally ugly. There is literally an angry man in the corner. It's not designed for everyone, but I'm hoping that the compact layout will appeal to those who prefer small plugin windows / a punk aesthetic / just love high contrast lines.

Also, I can't afford any more college! In all seriousness, I'll likely further optimize the GUI as things progress, but please don't purchase this synth if you think it will lose that high contrast, aggressive look with future updates - I promise it will become increasingly ugly and increasingly easy to use.

Reefius
KVRian
1055 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm

This kinda hurts my eyes.

recursive one
KVRAF
4956 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 pm

The audio samples sound not bad, but that GUI :(
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9202 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 am

Shame you didn't use JUCE, instant multi touch support
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4516 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:18 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 am
Shame you didn't use JUCE, instant multi touch support
And cross platform and MPE...
In terms of UI you should make it really ugly, I mean artistically ugly, but it isn‘t... Get inspiration from FreakShow Industries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... EXxq2NQOAo

glokraw
KVRAF
7563 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:28 am

Two excellent synths, Oatmeal, and Voyager, also had original gui's
that induced sleep rather than musical creativity.

Both were rescued by greatly improved skin designs from
3rd parties. Hopefully you can arrange something along those lines, to reward your under-the-hood skills by enabling the far wider customer acceptance of an inviting, if not compelling user experience.
Hope your project does well!

skyscape
KVRist
169 posts since 23 Oct, 2005 from Australia

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 am

Haha, everyone whingeing about the GUI straight up. Every single thread, I swear. I think it looks fun, is there going to be an actual demo to play with? Cos I'd give it a go.

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2511 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 am

Yes, I may look at this one. The high contrast yellow is probably the problem. A lighter tone with some desaturation would help make it easier on the eyes. I have no problem with anything else...no different than any modular one could own.

Erisian
KVRAF
1708 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:18 am

If I had the money, I might be willing to part with half that price if the GUI was more tasteful, unfortunately I need the money for next week's food.

.jon
KVRAF
5571 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:55 am

The audio clips sound great, and I find the GUI very sensible as what comes to usability. Would be interested in demoing it!

Erich.Pfister
KVRer

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:01 am

@Tj Shredder - Thank you for further ugliness inspiration.
@glowkraw - Well said, I will consider it, thanks for the well wishing. I'll look into both of those synths to see how they handled beautification.
@thejonsolo - Thank you for getting it! I was hoping a modular enthusiast would mention something sooner or later. What color should all the yellow parts be?
@Erisan - I understand needing the money for next week's food, me too at the moment.

Erich.Pfister
KVRer

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am

@jon and @skyscrape

I'll get a demo together ASAP. No DRM, going to need to cripple it somehow, will figure it out and upload within the next couple of days.

TIMT
KVRian
748 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:22 am

skyscape wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 am
Haha, everyone whingeing about the GUI straight up. Every single thread, I swear. I think it looks fun, is there going to be an actual demo to play with? Cos I'd give it a go.
Everybody knows visuals come first on KVR,then a preset system similar to U-He synths and Omnisphere,copy protection,is it below 50quid?,and then finally the sound engine :hihi:
I

Return to “Instruments”