Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

Anacreon is a personal patch-cable-driven obsession turned commercial VST. It doesn't do anything never-before-seen, but it does have bandlimited, hard-syncable, supersaw-capable oscillators and a great sounding filter section. It also comes with the head (and beard) of an ancient Greek poet, who will stare stoically at your work whenever the plugin window is open.

This synthesizer was programmed using the C++ and VST3 SDK - no use of Juce, Synthedit, Flowstone, etc.

KVR Product Page

Edit (7/30/2020):
Demo has been added to product page.
I have become more open to less yellow / a version with an alternate GUI.
I have also become more open to more yellow.

Edit (8/01/2020):
The current silly made up music genre is Bluegae (bluegrass reggae), demo track in the works.

Edit(8/11/2020):
The buttons for saving and loading presets aren't exactly in the perfect place right now, but I plan to have an updated GUI that will make that point moot.

Changelog
    • Fixed l1 output on filters.
  • 2.5.2 Aug 11 2020
    • Added GUI buttons for preset save/load.
    • Host does not need to implement preset management for above feature to function.
    • Fixed general problem with preset normalization between controller and processor.
  • 2.5.2.1 Aug 13 2020
    • Hopefully fixed reaper / cubase / generally everything crash.
  • 2.5.2.2 Aug 14 2020
    • Fixed sneaky envelope bug - no more clicking at gain settings less than 100%
  • 2.5.2.3 Aug 19 2020
    • Fixed crash associated with polyphony control
    • Fixed stack corruption due to buffer overrun on string operation for pitch parameters
    • Fixed visually bugged pitch control knob that was broken in 2.5.2.2
  • 2.5.3 Sept 21 2020
    • Pitch Bend
    • Mod Wheel, Velocity, Ptichbend, Aftertouch/Poly Pressure, and Keytrack modules added
    • Aftertouch / Poly Pressure may or may not work on your machine. Working on it.
    • Support added for holding SHIFT for fine tuning on all parameters.
    • Mousewheel support on knobs. (Shift works for mousewheel fine tuning, too!)
    • LFO so it can be used as audio rate oscillator (non-antialiased) and can also go to 64 bars.
    • True 1v/octave response for all frequency inputs (lfo, osc, filter) and keytrack source.
    • True 1v/6dB response for all gain inputs.
    • Improved polyphony performance via engine overhaul
  • 2.5.3.1 Sept 21 2020
    • Added version number in about page ( (?) button page )
    • Fixed Initial Sample Rate Bug / Out of tune bug
    • Fixed legato glide sustain pedal bug
    • Fixed hanging voices after reducing voice count while holding note
    • Does this version still crash in FL Studio? No. Name clash with previous version. Will address in next release.
    • Does this version still have random clicking with polyphonic patches w/ certain connections?
  • 2.5.3.2 Sept 24 2020
    • Channel Pressure / Mono Aftertouch support fixed, pending testing via midi controller.
    • Poly Pressure still doesn't work to the best of my knowledge (hard to test)
    • Still has name clashing issues in FL Studio, didn't get to fixing this today.
  • 2.5.3.3 Jan 19 2021
    • Channel Pressure / Mono Aftertouch support fixed, pending testing via midi controller.
    • Poly Pressure still doesn't work to the best of my knowledge (hard to test)
    • Still has name clashing issues in FL Studio, didn't get to fixing this today.
    • Fixed non-working routing parameters in StudioOne (and other delinquents)
  • 2.5.3.9 In Development
    • SKIPPING THIS BUILD. NEXT RELEASE WILL BE 2.5.4. (GUI and Linux are intertwined and inseparable)
  • Features in 2.5.4 (next major release):
    (✅ is next to things that I've got working so far on the unreleased dev version)
    • Completely customizable layout and colors for GUI via config file. User/Hacker can specify how many of each module they want. Basically a build-your-own Anacreon. <- this one is a huge undertaking, but worth it.
    • Save Location for Presets defaults to last used location - persists between sessions.
    • A "curve" module
    • Oscillator pan modulation
    • Detune and Spread modulation - maybe. I will need to look into the inner workings of that algorithm and see if it can be made to run efficiently at audio rate. I'm pretty sure division is involved in calculating the detune / spread, which is a big no-no for realtime audio.
    • LFO shape should be feasible to modulate since the LFOs aren't antialiased, it makes things a little more forgiving to program.
    • Envelopes that can trigger "one shot" style, looping ability, and the ability to be triggered by event port and send triggers via event port so they can be used for timing.
    • Pan / Gain modulation on main output for intuitive patching options. (you can already do gain in the mults, but I think the goal is to make the mults the last resort for complex ideas, not for basic gain staging)
    • Mid/Side output on oscillators for spatial processing (there will be a way to switch between L/R and M/S mode)
    • Sine oscillator (this oscillator will be more than just a sine wave, will be a resonating oscillator of some sort, potentially with overtones that can be controlled. NOT an additive oscillator in the traditional sense, but something more "alive" without enforced phase coherence.)
    • Because Anacreon uses Linux for his main computer, he will be smiling from this version onward.
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:37 am, edited 28 times in total.

I think you need a lot of help with that GUI design....because right now it looks more like a PCB.. and really not a user-friendly graphical user interface or GUI as they are called.

When engineers build a prototype circuit board, they are normally focused to give more attention on formatting the circuit and confirm that the prototype PCB is functional at the end of the assembly. So this leaves the PCB design itself to be ignored, and this is what has happened here imop... I'd suggest you take a course at college for example on GUI design or ask someone to design an interface for you based on the elements you have illustrated.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:26 am I think you need a lot of help with that GUI design....because right now it looks more like a PCB.. and really not a user-friendly graphical user interface or GUI as they are called.

Thanks for taking the time to put together good constructive criticism.

The GUI design criteria included:
  • Small footprint
  • Patch cables
  • No tabs / windows
  • Continuous pitch control on oscillators
I do understand that high contrast yellow-on-black isn't exactly fashionable, especially if you're using a monospaced console font on top of it. To some degree, it's intentionally ugly. There is literally an angry man in the corner. It's not designed for everyone, but I'm hoping that the compact layout will appeal to those who prefer small plugin windows / a punk aesthetic / just love high contrast lines.

Also, I can't afford any more college! In all seriousness, I'll likely further optimize the GUI as things progress, but please don't purchase this synth if you think it will lose that high contrast, aggressive look with future updates - I promise it will become increasingly ugly and increasingly easy to use.

This kinda hurts my eyes.

The audio samples sound not bad, but that GUI :(
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Shame you didn't use JUCE, instant multi touch support
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:14 am Shame you didn't use JUCE, instant multi touch support
And cross platform and MPE...
In terms of UI you should make it really ugly, I mean artistically ugly, but it isn‘t... Get inspiration from FreakShow Industries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... EXxq2NQOAo

Two excellent synths, Oatmeal, and Voyager, also had original gui's
that induced sleep rather than musical creativity.

Both were rescued by greatly improved skin designs from
3rd parties. Hopefully you can arrange something along those lines, to reward your under-the-hood skills by enabling the far wider customer acceptance of an inviting, if not compelling user experience.
Hope your project does well!

Haha, everyone whingeing about the GUI straight up. Every single thread, I swear. I think it looks fun, is there going to be an actual demo to play with? Cos I'd give it a go.

Yes, I may look at this one. The high contrast yellow is probably the problem. A lighter tone with some desaturation would help make it easier on the eyes. I have no problem with anything else...no different than any modular one could own.

If I had the money, I might be willing to part with half that price if the GUI was more tasteful, unfortunately I need the money for next week's food.

The audio clips sound great, and I find the GUI very sensible as what comes to usability. Would be interested in demoing it!

@Tj Shredder - Thank you for further ugliness inspiration.
@glowkraw - Well said, I will consider it, thanks for the well wishing. I'll look into both of those synths to see how they handled beautification.
@thejonsolo - Thank you for getting it! I was hoping a modular enthusiast would mention something sooner or later. What color should all the yellow parts be?
@Erisan - I understand needing the money for next week's food, me too at the moment.

@jon and @skyscrape

I'll get a demo together ASAP. No DRM, going to need to cripple it somehow, will figure it out and upload within the next couple of days.

skyscape wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 pm Haha, everyone whingeing about the GUI straight up. Every single thread, I swear. I think it looks fun, is there going to be an actual demo to play with? Cos I'd give it a go.
Everybody knows visuals come first on KVR,then a preset system similar to U-He synths and Omnisphere,copy protection,is it below 50quid?,and then finally the sound engine :hihi:
I

Return to “Instruments”