Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

@resistent - Love those tracks! Vaguely dystopian. That kick, super short and snappy. I like your attention to the midrange throughout - not too sparkly, not too dull. Regarding the Anacreon patches - super syrupy sounding, very cool. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

@bmanic - I promise I won't break the sound. I'm so glad that you're liking this plugin. I originally put this together because I needed something that sounded more immediate and "dry" than other available synthesizers, but could also do supersaws. I didn't know how the sound aesthetic would work for others, but your comments are so encouraging. Thank you for giving me motivation to keep working on the UI and adding important features while maintaining "the sound"

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

@resistent - I agree regarding needing a new layout. The cables cross the limiter in a very ugly way / fly around the screen. I will use your image as input for the eventual redesign in 2.5.4. I haven't yet had a chance to listen to your new tracks, but I will give them some time tomorrow morning, it's been a crazy day and I haven't had the usual amount of time to interact on this forum.

Thanks again for your thoughtful input!

@all - I forgot to mention that I've released an update today that fixed some crashes. My goal is to handle most of the main crashes that everyone's been reporting, then I'm going to add more features. My main development computer has finally killed itself somehow, the processor was a good 10 years old and it was crashy. I'm on a new processor now, but it's still AMD. I don't have any intel machines available to me, so I'm very interested in continued reports from any users on Intel computers. I will read through all posts and reply tomorrow, I'm short on time today.

The latest version hasn't crashed for me, yet. Seems pretty solid.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

@ resistent
You made some great sounds with Anacreon!
Any chance that you share some patches?
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

resistent wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm Thank you teacue. I will share my patches. As soon as all new features in Anacreon are implemented. There will be a potential patch-breaking-update. Therefore I wait to do more / to release. But after that you can expect a batch of my patches which will be available for Anacreon owner.
Great to hear :-)
resistent wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm @teacue @all

what kind of patches are you looking for? I make so much in many different styles but I'm interest what people are looking for.
As Erich.Pfister asked me the same question some posts ago I answered:
Unheard sounds ;-)
Beautifull noises!
Deep and rich bass sounds ...
Almost everything except bread and butter mainstream sounds already available with so many VSTis.

From the demos you posted I like for example:
the sound coming at 0:23 in "Oconom"
the sound coming after the beat at 0:07 in "Drops"
the first bass sound from "Demodome"
the Drone sound at 3:30 in "Drone A"
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@All if things seem pretty solid / not crashing, I'm going to start adding features today.

@pough - super glad you're not crashing! I thought there would be a LOT more debugging to come, but it seems like everyone's solid so far? I forget which DAWs you use offhand... was StudioOne one of them?

@teacue - sooner or later we'll have a whole lot of presets, but resistent is correct, we're probably going to see a preset-breaking update soon. I originally thought I'd be able to preserve presets between updates, but VST3 and the different DAWs we're trying to support have kind of tied my hands on this one. As far as I can tell, there's no good way to make old presets work on new versions.

@resistent - can you think of any way to achieve what you're doing in those layouts, but giving it a wider aspect ratio? In Ableton and some other DAWs, having a wide, short window is going to be less of a problem than a big square one. I originally thought putting the mults up high was going to cause an issue, but it seems like it spreads the patch out pretty well, so maybe the square shape gives an advantage.. Thanks again for all your tracks and ideas for layout.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:46 pm @All if things seem pretty solid / not crashing, I'm going to start adding features today.
Unfortunately I'm still having crashing issues. Most of them seem to happen when I change presets.

However, this may be due to some of them being created with the older broken versions. I'll try starting from scratch, purging all Anacreon content, deleting all the Reaper related ini files etc.. and see if that helps.

As for features. I'm most desperate for common ways of controlling ranges of things. So this means Mod wheel support, Pitchwheel support and most importantly, a keyboard tracking module. If at all possible, I'd also want some kind of shaper for modulation signals so that I can carefully tailor the input vs output.

For instance, a linear keyboard range could then be shaped to be an 'S' curve where you get most changes in the middle section of the keys and least in upper/lower octaves.. or shaping LFO's or Envelopes further.

Example: https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpr ... 3242a3/mac

Also would be nice to have a few more modulation destinations. There are plenty of interesting ones you don't have available like LFO Shape, Detune, Spread, Oscillator output volumes.. though the latter can be done through the Mults, so perhaps that's not needed.

I'd also like finer control over some parameters. Especially Velocity to Pitch and Velocity to Gain (in the LFO) should have super fine control.. especially anything with pitch needs to have fine control for subtle variations. Sometimes the lowest value of 0.150% is simply too much.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

@bmanic
  • Crashing issues - could you let me know if it becomes clear to you at any point whether or not it's due to using presets from previous versions? I sincerely appreciate you reporting back to this main thread with issues, it helps me immensely.

• Features that are coming up in 2.5.3 (next major release):
    • Pitch Bend
    • Mod Wheel
    • Sustain Pedal
    • Aftertouch
    • Keytrack
    • (General "gain" and +/- type outputs for each of the above)
    • Hold "shift" for fine tuning on all parameters. I have had SERIOUS issues with getting these knobs to behave properly, this might be what we all need to get more accurate tuning. @resistent has also mentioned this one.
    • Mousewheel support on knobs.
    • Unlock upper frequency range on keytracking in LFO so it can be used as sine/triangle oscillator.
    • Make slowest tempo-sync LFO setting 16 bars (if anyone wants it slower, let me know - I'd like to change this once and be done with it)
  • Features in 2.5.4:
    • Completely customizable layout and colors for GUI via config file <- this one is a huge undertaking, but worth it.
    • Save Location for Presets defaults to last used location - persists between sessions.
    • A "curve" module
    • Oscillator gain / pan modulation destinations
    • Detune and Spread modulation - maybe. I will need to look into the inner workings of that algorithm and see if it can be made to run efficiently at audio rate. I'm pretty sure division is involved in calculating the detune / spread, which is a big no-no for realtime audio.
    • LFO shape should be feasible to modulate since the LFOs aren't antialiased, it makes things a little more forgiving to program.
    • Envelopes that can trigger "one shot" style, looping ability, and the ability to be triggered by event port and send triggers via event port so they can be used for timing.
    • Extra envelopes and LFOs (option to disable extras in config file)
    • Pan / Gain modulation on main output for intuitive patching options. (you can already do gain in the mults, but I think the goal is to make the mults the last resort for complex ideas, not for basic gain staging)
    • Edit Mid/Side output on oscillators for spatial processing
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”