One Synth Challenge #142: Vital by Matt Tytel (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 am
Tucky wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm
MrKarolus wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:00 pm I was waiting for this synth since first time I heard about it and was very pleased to hear it finally came out! :wheee: I bow to you, Matt Tytel! :hail: :hail: Such a masterpiece. Do you guys think the release of Vital will have impact on synths (like Serum) prices?
If it doesn't effect their prices it will surely effect their sales :wink:
People on KVR are going crazy about Vital but weren't very enthusiastic about Serum, it's apparently a KVR thing. Is it just about price?
Personally I wasn't producing electronic music in 2014 when Serum came out so there was no reason for me to go crazy about it in 2014 :uhuhuh: Also, I'm a hobbyist, who spent hundreds of euros on Kontakt orchestral libraries, so getting free modern sounding synth, which can compete with the big boys is wonderful news. Spending money on VIs can be financially irresponsible in some situations. Anyway, things I like about it, besides price: sound (sounds great so far), wavetable synth (versatility, morphing, etc), ease of use/fast workflow, stability (had zero crashes, loss of settings or whatever), clean UI. There was so many free analog synths released in the past, but so little modern synths.

Sleepwalker wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:40 pm Do we post our soundcloud link right here in the thread to enter the competition and it will be picket up by the judges? Or somewhere else?
Anyone who posts a Soundcloud track on this thread before the deadline and says it is to participate in OSC is automatically registered. The only thing that can disqualify you is not following the rules. Simple as that.

Welcome by the way. :tu:

Reposted... :pray:
Last edited by L-EctroBit on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by L-EctroBit on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by L-EctroBit on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

z.prime wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:02 pm What if I decided to master on a super expensive ProTools version and it happened to have the Ozone mastering tools (or the mega-FL Studio or UA Luna)? That would put me at quite a bit of a theoretical advantage from a plugin / DSP standpoint.
This is something we have to live with every month here at OSC. We all have different DAWs and some have better stock plugins than others. So the "theoretical advantage from a plugin / DSP standpoint" is nothing new here. :wink:

I do agree with you, is that the most practical thing for multiple reasons is to just use one DAW.

Really the purpose of my post was to explore ideas to help Spring Goose, given the difficulties he is going through with Vital. I am not interested in changing the rules in this regard. :tu:

L-EctroBit wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:55 pm
z.prime wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:02 pm What if I decided to master on a super expensive ProTools version and it happened to have the Ozone mastering tools (or the mega-FL Studio or UA Luna)? That would put me at quite a bit of a theoretical advantage from a plugin / DSP standpoint.
This is something we have to live with every month here at OSC. We all have different DAWs and some have better stock plugins than others. So the "theoretical advantage from a plugin / DSP standpoint" is nothing new here. :wink:

I do agree with you, is that the most practical thing for multiple reasons is to just use one DAW.

Really the purpose of my post was to explore ideas to help Spring Goose, given the difficulties he is going through with Vital. I am not interested in changing the rules in this regard. :tu:
Thanks L-EctroBit :)

Vital Space Cruise
DAW: Logic Pro
Vital instances: 14
Effects: Compressor: 2
Reverb: 1
This was a much more enjoyable synth to work with! Hope you like the results.

https://soundcloud.com/user-537459617/v ... ace-cruise

Bullet Train
18 instances of Vital in Logic
Logic compressor (2), limiter (2), reverb (1) MXXX/mTurboreverb (1) (because it’s allowed this time)
Since my cantankerous friend, Wes Kilbride (that’s right, YOU, sweetheart), informed me that he has already submitted his piece (yes I do like it very much, Wes), I’ve decided to join him here, to relieve his angst.
What a relief to work with this synth! Very visual, easy to work with. It’s really great.
https://soundcloud.com/brother-greg/bullet-train

My take :D

Made in Bitwig, has a master limiter, stock eq's, 1 stock saturator for kick, 1 stock bit reduction and compressor for snare, send channels has couple of stock delays and stock reverbs.. Mostly I just use the built in fx.

17 tracks/instances of Vital.

My first time participating so please be gentle :hihi: If I'm missing some info, please tell and I'll fix it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-284727715/s ... eats-vital

@photonic, I played around with your awesome piano patch and set up some mods to try to correct the detuning problem with the comb filter as well as adding some macros to warp the sound a bit :)

It's pretty close to in tune now I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7apg028iyihqo ... l.zip?dl=0

@ all those unable to run Vital :

Just noticed that Vital's installation folder contains a folder named "stub", which in turn contains the file "vc_redist.x64.exe" ( Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.27.29016 ). Don't have a clue as to whether it is installed by the Vital installer or not. Or if it's even relevant, but maybe it is.

jasinski wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 pm @photonic, I played around with your awesome piano patch and set up some mods to try to correct the detuning problem with the comb filter as well as adding some macros to warp the sound a bit :)

It's pretty close to in tune now I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7apg028iyihqo ... l.zip?dl=0
Awesome, thank you! :tu: :clap:
Your modification is great. I see a lot of extras in my patch. You added a lot of goodies.
Which one solved the tuning problems? I asume it is not only the note-modulation to the filer 1 cut off.
I'd like to use this fix in other PM-sounds too.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

ELEX wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 pm @ all those unable to run Vital :

Just noticed that Vital's installation folder contains a folder named "stub", which in turn contains the file "vc_redist.x64.exe" ( Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.27.29016 ). Don't have a clue as to whether it is installed by the Vital installer or not. Or if it's even relevant, but maybe it is.
I think, it's people who have old graphics capabilities which won't work with a graphics thing called OpenGL which the developer uses to make the GUI of the plugin. That's how i understand it anyway.

oh btw

WARNING! to anybody who has OpenGL problem for VST GUI

Do not try Mesa3d OpenGL hack/solution with Reason 10. It apparently breaks the VST scan when Reason opens, even if you then remove the OpenGL dll, and even if you uninstall/reinstall Reason 10.

Mesa3d works fine for me with Cakewalk and with Maschine, and i'm told works fine with Waveform. It fixes Helm, Dragonfly reverb, and Breeze 2, but doesn't fix Vital.

Return to “Instruments”